• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4.4mm to 1/4'' male adapter or get new cables?

Trailblazin

Hi all, to keep it short it's as title says.

I realized I screwed up after ordering ali-express cables, I wanted cables that'd allow me to use my IEM's in my 2i2. Unfortunately, for some reason, I'd mistaken the 4.4mm option as the 1/4' inch equivalent. Now I've got nice braided cables that I can't use.

Well, now I'm somewhat torn. I've got a 3.5mm to 1/4'' adapter so I could just ask for 3.5mm replacements. But having 4.4mm would be useful if I get a headphone amp at some point.

What do I do?

paolomo

Forum Donor
I am splitting hairs here, but my general advice is “choose based on what you need now, rather than on what you may need in the future”.

I wasted a lot of money buying stuff that “I may need someday”. Needless to say, my predictions were always wrong :D

OP
T

Trailblazin

I am splitting hairs here, but my general advice is “choose based on what you need now, rather than on what you may need in the future”.

I wasted a lot of money buying stuff that “I may need someday”. Needless to say, my predictions were always wrong :D

Well, I get your logic but I have a set of cables already that I can't use. So it's either I've got a wasted set of cables or I've got to find an adapter, which isn't as common as I would expect.

Chop the Pentaconn 4.4mm off and put on a 6.35mm stereo plug. Easy.
Honestly, I'd do this if anything. Is there a guide, do I need a soldering iron?

RHO

Major Contributor
Yes, you need a soltering iron if you want to replace the jack. But if you are able to replace a jack, you could just as easy build your own converter cable.
In your case I would just look for a nice 4.4mm to 1/4" converter cable on AliExpress. Or just go for this.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Well, I get your logic but I have a set of cables already that I can't use. So it's either I've got a wasted set of cables or I've got to find an adapter, which isn't as common as I would expect.

Honestly, I'd do this if anything. Is there a guide, do I need a soldering iron?
@Wayne A. Pflughaupt did a great guide. You may want a multimeter (or make a simple connectivity tester) if the wires in the cable are not color coded.

Top Bottom