• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2000$ Speaker Pairings

16cores

Can anyone suggest a nice pairing for a passive speaker with amp under 2000$? Using them nearfield about 1.5m away in a small to medium sized room. I already have a topping d30pro and a30pro I use for headphones so I don't necessarily need it to be integrated. Im also open to selling the a30pro to get a speaker amp which also has a headphone out.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Revel M105's and a Topping PA5 that I use near field, and I love them both (my setup). The combined MSRP pretty much nails your price range. There is a LOT of great gear in that price range though. Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
I am admittedly not quite sure why you need passive + amp. Regardless if you want that, then @anotherhobby is right on the money.

RMW_NJ

Kef is having sales right now. R3 is $1699 and they also have the LS50 Wireless II for $2299. LS50 Wireless II would not need an amp, DAC, etc. as it is active.

OP

16cores

Thanks for the recommendations, looking for passive as I can move them to a living room later on and upgrade the amplifier.

Keened

Forum Donor
Thanks for the recommendations, looking for passive as I can move them to a living room later on and upgrade the amplifier.
I am currently going down this route; I wouldn't say it's a bad route but it is non-optimal if all you're concerned about is sound quality. Triply so if you're concerned with nearfield. The price/quality parity doesn't break for passives until you're either talking about a decently large room at very high volume or multi-channel (or both). Amps don't really do anything past a certain point for sound quality, and for most people that point is going to be around the PA5 anyways so you shouldn't be saving up to put more money that way.

Active speakers do have the downside of breaking in potentially unrepairable ways but their track records (from good companies) aren't bad enough to really count that against them at this point in time.

Kali also makes some very well priced active speakers.

But, if you want to have a traditional passive system because you like the construction element of it, or want to do something unusual, I would say the best deal I see for $2000 is a PA5 and Philharmonic BMRs.

OP

16cores

I am currently going down this route; I wouldn't say it's a bad route but it is non-optimal if all you're concerned about is sound quality. Triply so if you're concerned with nearfield. The price/quality parity doesn't break for passives until you're either talking about a decently large room at very high volume or multi-channel (or both). Amps don't really do anything past a certain point for sound quality, and for most people that point is going to be around the PA5 anyways so you shouldn't be saving up to put more money that way.

Active speakers do have the downside of breaking in potentially unrepairable ways but their track records (from good companies) aren't bad enough to really count that against them at this point in time.

Kali also makes some very well priced active speakers.

But, if you want to have a traditional passive system because you like the construction element of it, or want to do something unusual, I would say the best deal I see for $2000 is a PA5 and Philharmonic BMRs.
Good to know, I did look at active speakers but couldnt find anything that was truly everything I wanted both aesthetically and based on reviews online. Whilst nearfield ill still be 1.5-2m away so i figured id still get some benefit from it. Im also using it at a desk so I wanted stand mount speakers.

radix

Major Contributor
I use the KH80 nearfield (with the KH750 sub). Anyway, $1000 for a pair, which includes the amps. And they are easy to VESA mount so they are off your desk. And they have built-in EQ.

OP

16cores

I use the KH80 nearfield (with the KH750 sub). Anyway, $1000 for a pair, which includes the amps. And they are easy to VESA mount so they are off your desk. And they have built-in EQ.
Yea thats one of the ones where its just not great aesthetically for me.

Top Bottom