• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2.5 Bal to 3.5 HP adapter?

steelgtr

I have a DAP with 2.5 bal and 3.5 HF outputs. I only go into a home stereo unit not headphones. I would like to utilize the higher power of the bal output and need the proper 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter to do this properly?

thx

bob

staticV3

Master Contributor
2.5mm jacks should only be used directly with balanced headphones or IEMs (those with native 2.5/4.4/XLR plug).
Plugging an RCA Amp into a 2.5mm jack is simply not possible.
Plugging an XLR Amp into a 2.5mm jack is possible, but dangerous due to a lack of GND connection (should be fine on battery power, but I wouldn't do it regardless).

4.4mm jacks can be used with everything, so long as the jack has full pinout including GND.
Going 4.4 to RCA or 4.4 to 3.5 will cut the output voltage in half.

3.5mm jacks can also be used with everything, though feeding an XLR Amp with 3.5mm may not be optimal depending on Amp design.

OP
S

steelgtr

2.5mm jacks should only be used directly with balanced headphones or IEMs (those with native 2.5/4.4/XLR plug).
Plugging an RCA Amp into a 2.5mm jack is simply not possible.
Plugging an XLR Amp into a 2.5mm jack is possible, but dangerous due to a lack of GND connection (should be fine on battery power, but I wouldn't do it regardless).

4.4mm jacks can be used with everything, so long as the jack has full pinout including GND.
Going 4.4 to RCA or 4.4 to 3.5 will cut the output voltage in half.

3.5mm jacks can also be used with everything, though feeding an XLR Amp with 3.5mm may not be optimal depending on Amp design.
Thanks, My Pio has a 2.5 mm bal output and my Hiby has a 4.4 mm bal out.

I ordered these:

Did I mess up?

thx

bob

OP
S

steelgtr

Depends on what you're planning on plugging into the female side of these adapters.
I use a 3.5 male to rca cable to go into my integrated tube amp input.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The 2.5mm adapter is a definite no-go then. It will short out the two cold outputs of your DAP, which can lead to permanent damage.

As for the 4.4mm one, I would first check the pinout with a multimeter before plugging it into anything.
You need
4.4 Tip -> Left RCA Signal
4.4 Ring1 -> Disconnected
4.4 Ring2 -> Right RCA Signal
4.4 Ring3 -> Disconnected
4.4 Sleeve -> both RCA GNDs

OP
S

steelgtr

The 2.5mm adapter is a definite no-go then. It will short out the two cold outputs of your DAP, which can lead to permanent damage.

As for the 4.4mm one, I would first check the pinout with a multimeter before plugging it into anything.
You need
4.4 Tip -> Left RCA Signal
4.4 Ring1 -> Disconnected
4.4 Ring2 -> Right RCA Signal
4.4 Ring3 -> Disconnected
4.4 Sleeve -> both RCA GNDs
Thanks for the heads up! Am I checking continuity and if so what am I looking for?

thx again

bob

staticV3

Master Contributor
Am I checking continuity and if so what am I looking for?
You're checking for continuity. Here are the only connections you should see:
Pentaconn to RCA.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes. The connections you see in the pic are the only ones you should see.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I would like to utilize the higher power of the bal output...

...I use a 3.5 male to rca cable to go into my integrated tube amp input.

As staticV3 says, this simply won't work! :( You are shorting-out (or "grounding out") signal wires!

First, that means you're not going to get the double voltage like you get from a balanced/differential output. With balanced signals, one wire goes positive while the other goes negative, and vice versa, doubling the voltage. But when you ground one of those signals you don't get that doubling.

Most line-level balanced outputs are designed to tolerate this but a headphone-output may not be. There is a possibility of damaging the headphone amp, or possibly just "damaging" (distorting) the signal, or maybe it will work OK. Or if the amplifier & headphone don't otherwise share a common ground you could get some screwy effects from shorting the left & right signals together.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its worth pointing out those adapters have one real (and very limited) safe use. To convert to (or from) balanced 2.5/4.4 jack to (or from ) 3.5mm balanced jack for headphones. I have one that works fine on a pair of Focals that have an aftermarket cable with a 3.5mm balanced wiring and I use one that converts that to 4.4mm balanced. Im not sure if ANY current headphones come stock with a balanced 3.5mm jack at the amp end for which these adapters would have a use.

The listings arent massively clear that you cant/ shouldnt use to convert a balanced output to unbalanced headphones (or amp)

OP
S

steelgtr

Thanks, Guys

I'm going to pass on this "upgrade". The reasons were to have more output power and possible better AQ but not worth risking my little DAP's that I really enjoy. I wish the Hiby had a true LO that bypassed tthe volume like my Pio but it is what it is.

Thanks again for saving me from a real catastrophe !

bob

Top Bottom