• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st lab-grown meat product cleared for human consumption in the U.S.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am open to alternatives. But thus far they don't compare to the real thing. They say "I can't believe it's not meat" or "Beyond meat" are fast growing companies, but I answer "I can't believe you think it's meat". That said, we know eating too much meat is neither natural nor healthy. I grew up at a time in a country where meat was a luxury. Now it is too cheap IMO, and many of those animals are raised in miserable conditions... *that* I don't want to support or eat.

But I'd rather eat a big plate of lentils than some insipid fake meat. I'd try this, though.

Short38

What exactly is the underlying “base”
or “mother sauce” in this stuff? Why do I think about the power modules in The Matrix?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Just grown in tissue culture rather than critters.
I am sure it's much more efficient*, resource, and environmentally friendly, too!

Umm, yeah, no.

levimax

Major Contributor
Not sure why they are messing around with chicken.... you can buy the real thing for a dollar or two a pound. How about a lab grown but realistic looking and tasting Prime Center Cut Fillet.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not sure why they are messing around with chicken.... you can buy the real thing for a dollar or two a pound. How about a lab grown but realistic looking and tasting Prime Center Cut Fillet.
Give 'em time. No reason why reasonable facsmilies of actual meat cannot be grown in vitro. It just will be unbelievably inefficient, "dirty" (from a global resource perspective), and expensive. Cool, though... kind of like cryptocurrency. :)

The rolled up environmental cost of in vitro production of meat will make the world long for slash and burn agriculture again, I reckon. :(

JSmith

Master Contributor
I do wonder if it tastes like chicken... or tasty wheat. ;)

JSmith

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Compared to the meat fast food has used for a very long time, how bad could it be?

JSmith

Master Contributor
g2mct.jpeg

JSmith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Give 'em time. No reason why reasonable facsmilies of actual meat cannot be grown in vitro. It just will be unbelievably inefficient, "dirty" (from a global resource perspective), and expensive. Cool, though... kind of like cryptocurrency. :)
Sure, I see em doing it nightly in Star Trek "simulators".
AH OK, just about when hell freezes over. LOL

Robin L

Master Contributor
I am open to alternatives. But thus far they don't compare to the real thing. They say "I can't believe it's not meat" or "Beyond meat" are fast growing companies, but I answer "I can't believe you think it's meat". That said, we know eating too much meat is neither natural nor healthy. I grew up at a time in a country where meat was a luxury. Now it is too cheap IMO, and many of those animals are raised in miserable conditions... *that* I don't want to support or eat.

But I'd rather eat a big plate of lentils than some insipid fake meat. I'd try this, though.
My wife's a vegetarian and most of the meals I eat are the same. Impossible Burger is close enough to the real thing as to freak her out. I'm glad to have a 95% vegetarian diet, but in no way would I confuse the Morningstar "crumbles" for ground beef.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My wife's a vegetarian and most of the meals I eat are the same.
You have my sympathy.
I enjoy a really great steak at least once a week and some type of beef or chicken almost daily. YUMMMMM

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I haven't tried lab grown meat, but I would love to. I have tried vegetarian mock meat, and I agree that it is not the same.

HOWEVER ... I think that the mistake most chefs make is to think of it as a meat substitute. It is not a meat subtitute, it is a different product. It is the same with wine - IMO there is no such thing as a bad wine, there is only overpriced wine (the exception are wines that are corked). The "bad" wines are simply wines that are mismatched with food, or should be used for other things besides drinking - e.g. in food. You can make marinades, stews, and sauces with wines that are too acidic / too sweet / etc. If I am given a lesser quality white wine, I drink it with fish and chips where the quality does not matter. If really don't want to drink it, it goes into my stews and sauces. All wines can be consumed, you just have to think of the proper application for it.

And it should be the same with mock meat. If you simply slap it in a burger, or serve it like a steak, it is awful. But if you slice it up and put it in a curry, or in a Chinese stir fry, it is delicious. The point is, both curries and stir fries use all sorts of ingredients to make up different textures and flavours, e.g. you can find paneer cheese in a curry. On its own, it is rubbery and squeaky - if you tried eating it as a cheese, it is terrible. But in a curry it is amazing.

Top Bottom