• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st lab-grown meat product cleared for human consumption in the U.S.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This lab-processed chicken (that FDA just approved for human consumption) is said to be more energy inefficent than the chicken nuggets you get at the MickeyDee's drive through.
It must pit PETA against the ESG fans. :confused:
I even hesitate to take a bite of farm-raised salmon, let alone some white-meat that is grown in a petri dish.
I'll amplify on Devo' statement about "Are we not men?" We are carnivores!:eek:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
It can’t be any worse than the hormone/antibiotic/grain fed/chlorine washed meat that seems to pass for acceptable nutrition in america at the moment

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It can’t be any worse than the hormone/antibiotic/grain fed/chlorine washed meat that seems to pass for acceptable nutrition in america at the moment
We were travelling from Dallas to SoCal; opting to enjoy the longer road-trip heading north first.
We stopped for "lunch" in some BFE ranch in Texas Panhandle.
We did not have boots, Levis or cowboy hats but decided to splurge on the 24-ouncer steaks.
Oh, wow!o_O Only twice in my life, I had tasted beef in its most unadultrated form like this, before.
Once; while in the highlands of Bolivia..., and another time - way back in my youth; which must have been like getting imprinted with that specific taste.

Unlike audio, taste is so much more subjective and lacking the equivalent of an AudioPrecision!:eek:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would totally eat a fake chicken patty if it's clear that it's safe and has roughly price parity.
A chicken sandwich is a chicken sandwich.
shrug.gif

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would totally eat a fake chicken patty if it's clear that it's safe and has roughly price parity.
A chicken sandwich is a chicken sandwich.
I was going to ask which one you would prefer...
But that would have been a trick question.
202306_MeEtTheNewMeAt.jpg

The type that I really would aim to avoid would be the vegan-patties.
Those are the real "fake" stuff!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
vegan-patties
Had them, they are edible, but not enjoyable.
Also they are very, very pricey here, they cost more than organicly grown meat.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lab grown meat - the staple of science fiction. I'd try it - at least once.

My son and I tried impossible burgers at Universal Studios and Burger King and while they tasted OK they gave us both gas like nothing we'd ever eaten before. Pass. (pun intended)

Martin

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lab grown meat - the staple of science fiction. I'd try it - at least once.

My son and I tried impossible burgers at Universal Studios and Burger King and while they tasted OK they gave us both gas like nothing we'd ever eaten before. Pass. (pun intended)

Martin
'Gas' > cancer

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
China Chilcano will be the first place for Andres. Going there in 1-1/2 weeks but don't think it will be on the menu yet.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And for all you tofu haters, it's delicious. The problem might be that you are eating Western style tofu recipes, in which case I agree with you that it's horrible. East Asians have been eating tofu for centuries. Go to a Chinese or Japanese restaurant and give it a try.
I value most your inputs but you breached my red-line.:facepalm:

Although there is no reason to hate tofu; there is not much to like about it either.
I don't care whether any tofu has a western or an Asian accent; but I do care that the food I am about to consume has some kind of taste.
To make sure I was not alone in this last statement, I asked my search engine "What does tofu taste like?".
"Bland" is the consolidated answer that I saw most often.
Then, it is followed by statements like:
...However, this food is an excellent absorber of flavors, which makes it a favorite for anyone who knows their way around a kitchen. When prepared correctly, tofu can be savory, sweet, crunchy, or soft...
So, the problem you speak of is not with people avoiding it (the haters); the blame lies mostly with this flavor-less product that supposed to be "versatile"... by tasting bland.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Although there is no reason to hate tofu; there is not much to like about it either.
I don't care whether any tofu has a western or an Asian accent; but I do care that the food I am about to consume has some kind of taste.
To make sure I was not alone in this last statement, I asked my search engine "What does tofu taste like?".

So, the problem you speak of is not with people avoiding it (the haters); the blame lies mostly with this flavor-less product that supposed to be "versatile"... by tasting bland.
Tofu desert varieties are delicious. They taste like sweet almond, vanilla etc. Natural flavors and it's good for you too.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

Well you need to try this:

1688692214972.png

Ma-po tofu. Made with sichuan peppers, dried chilli, garlic, spring onion, minced pork, chicken stock. Intensely flavourful and delicious. It will make a steak taste bland by comparison.

Silly Valley

Forum Donor
Unfortunately, just because the FDA signs off on something does not mean it is healthy long term. Were they not the ones who paved the way for margerine and all those trans fats that have been identified as horrible for us? It still boggles my mind what is allowed to be put into food. Time will tell. Eventually, this may have its's place. I will not be an early adopter.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ma-po tofu. Made with sichuan peppers, dried chilli, garlic, spring onion, minced pork, chicken stock. Intensely flavourful and delicious. It will make a steak taste bland by comparison.
Thank you for the offer. I'd go with Ma-po steak or even Ma-po pasta (mandala or trofie), instead.
Pasta is like tofu, if you don't like too much processing (or EQ) in your food.;)

JSmith

Master Contributor

Joramun

No thanks

Give me real food

Top Bottom