• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st lab-grown meat product cleared for human consumption in the U.S.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You don't dig on swine? ;)
Oh sure, that too, I'm not prejudice.
Love me some good Italian Sausage, etc. ;)
It is the same with wine - IMO there is no such thing as a bad wine, there is only overpriced wine (the exception are wines that are corked).
Be sure to check out a jug of Paisono. Started drinkin this with my dad since I was about 12 :p
CarloRossiPaisano.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just grown in tissue culture rather than critters.
I am sure it's much more efficient*, resource, and environmentally friendly, too!

Umm, yeah, no.

Why is that so hard to believe? The critters aren’t evolved to be efficient meat in a petri dish. They have all kinds of other evolutionary traits to account for. They have to move, find food, procreate, communicate… all in all relatively efficient for the sum of these things, so it’s a compromise.

Not to mention that that lab meat is the same meat that evolved over billions of years, it’s just missing all the bits around it. If you don’t need all those missing bits, you can obviously grow the bits you do need more efficiently.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not to mention that that lab meat is the same meat that evolved over billions of years, it’s just missing all the bits around it. If you don’t need all those missing bits, you can obviously grow the bits you do need more efficiently.
OK, grow me up about a 20oz Filet, cooked medium, and I'll give it a try, once. ;)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Humans are susceptible to several diseases caused by zoonotic bacterial pathogens transmitted through meat consumption, most of which damage the digestive system. These illnesses are widespread worldwide, with the majority of the burden borne by developing countries.

Contamination can occur at any point along the chain — at farm, slaughter, during processing or preparation. It can also occur at home if food is incorrectly handled or cooked.

Main causes at farm level

• Animal feed contaminated with bacteria that cause infections in animals.
  • Parasites that infect food-producing animals.
  • Milk contaminated through contact with faeces or environmental dust.
  • Animal skin and fur contaminated by faeces and environment.
At slaughter

• Meat contaminated by intestinal contents.
The above becomes a non-issue with lab grown meat.

JSmith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Been eating the farm grown stuff for 73 years now, ain't killed me yet.
I'm not stoppin now. LOL

JSmith

Master Contributor
Been eating the farm grown stuff for 73 years now, ain't killed me yet.
For sure, myself also all my life. Can't go past a nice 500g rib-eye on the bone. :p

We're lucky though to come from Countries though with very high standards when it comes to meat production. Even then it can't always be prevented, remember Mad Cows disease? For a very long time one couldn't buy beef on the bone in the UK/EU, many stopped eating it altogether and beef prices went sky high.

The UN is calling on countries to reduce beef production, saying it's becoming unsustainable etc. So lab meat may assist on some fronts... time will tell.

JSmith

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

JSmith
No, it doesn't. The meat will have to be grown (i.e., the cell culture will have to be performed) under sterile conditions. Bioreactors don't have immune systems to fend off infectious agents, but critters do.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
For sure, myself also all my life. Can't go past a nice 500g rib-eye on the bone. :p

OMG, 500g. I am Chinese, and we are accustomed to eating a low meat diet. Most of my meals consist of carbs and veggies, with maybe 100g of meat per person. The typical serve of steak in Australia is 250g.

So I was pretty gobsmacked when I went to a diner in the USA and was served a massive steak. I asked the waiter how big it was, and I was told "just under 2lb". It wasn't that expensive either. Is that normal for Americans?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

you know it gets to a point where its so close i dont care any more

eg. we now have a Burger King Hungry Jacks Vegetarian Whopper Burger and i actually dig it.... with the large fries, coke and nuggets

i used to work in the city here and there was a place on the ground floor that had a $10 steak 330g with fries salad and free white or red wine

i gave the wine to my work wife and i had a beer or whatever

i did this every day and yeah... good luck to your cholesterol

we still do $20 pup or RSL or Bowling Club rump or t-bone steaks

you will find the brazilians? argentines? seth efrikans dig that meat too but yeah once the steak gets too big you've ended 'savoring the flavor'

JSmith

Master Contributor
So I was pretty gobsmacked when I went to a diner in the USA and was served a massive steak. I asked the waiter how big it was, and I was told "just under 2lb".
Well that is a massive steak, strewth, almost 1kg... most restaurant steaks are between 200g - 350g here, unless you pay more for a larger cut.

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG, 500g. I am Chinese, and we are accustomed to eating a low meat diet. Most of my meals consist of carbs and veggies, with maybe 100g of meat per person. The typical serve of steak in Australia is 250g.

So I was pretty gobsmacked when I went to a diner in the USA and was served a massive steak. I asked the waiter how big it was, and I was told "just under 2lb". It wasn't that expensive either. Is that normal for Americans?
A diner steak weighing almost 2 lbs would be quite unusual. Steakhouse maybe. How long ago was it? Steak has jumped in price recently. A 16oz/1lb (454g) steak would be IME unusual in a diner....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that is a massive steak, strewth, almost 1kg... most restaurant steaks are between 200g - 350g here, unless you pay more for a larger cut.

JSmith
For diners particularly here I think that would be more common. Sometimes in more upstream restaurants a 16oz/1lb steak would be more readily available. Steakhouses can be pretty good at getting the size you desire :)

raif71

Major Contributor
Just build a meat analyzer (MPX-555)...if the lab grown meat gets a panther recommendation, why not. :p

Keith_W

Major Contributor
A diner steak weighing almost 2 lbs would be quite unusual. Steakhouse maybe. How long ago was it? Steak has jumped in price recently. A 16oz/1lb (454g) steak would be IME unusual in a diner....

The last time I was in the USA was a few months before the twin towers went down.

Geez, that was so long ago, I should go back. I loved American people, so warm and friendly and I felt safe. But - the reason I don't visit is because the culture is so similar to Australia.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I only eat some fish, no other animal protein. I do eat cheese though. This is from late 1976 or so. I don't miss it at all really. But if I wanted a burger, I'd want a real one. But that's not likely going to happen. Too many reasons for me, but I've cooked it for the rest of the family forever and will continue to do so.

Top Bottom