• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

✳ This is it ... the scientific topic we always wanted to discuss ...

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting article.

Everyone who talks about time travel might be putting the carriage before the horse.
I'd first like to see the answer to "What is Time?". Contrary to "popular opinion" that question is not answered. At all.
It is not even clear if time exists (as a fundamental 'property' of the universe) or it's just a by-product of some other phenomenon (entropy is one usual suspect). Or it might just be an 'invention' of our own brains. Or...

Do we live within time or does time live within us?!...

_within-time-Screenshot-2020-10-02 10-44-29.jpg

... a reasonable Q that google does not know anything about. I'll patent it :)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'd first like to see the answer to "What is Time?"

Time is what keeps everything that is going to happen from having already happened.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time is what keeps everything that is going to happen from having already happened.
time is what keeps everything from happening at the same time :)

P.S.
@Thomas savage's job would be way more 'interesting' if everything happened at the same time :D

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How the Brain Creates a Timeline of the Past [Jordana Cepelewicz, writing in Quanta magazine]

The brain processes sound using an (approximate) Fourier transform. Stores event sequence in memory neurons using an approximate Laplace tranform. Check the Wikipedia pages for the close relationship between the two transforms.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
With this pandemic going on I feel time is slowing down, anyone else?
Can time be related to major events ... hurricanes, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, forest fires, polar ice melting, planet warming, sun ultraviolet radiations getting more intense, diseases, viruses, contaminated water and air?

Does time have anything to do with all of it? Does time affect our space, our state-of-mind, our future? What if we could time travel and improve the future by reversing our past?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can time be related to major events ... hurricanes, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, forest fires, polar ice melting, planet warming, sun ultraviolet radiations getting more intense, diseases, viruses, contaminated water and air?

Does time have anything to do with all of it? Does time affect our space, our state-of-mind, our future? What if we could time travel and improve the future by reversing our past?

Exactly What Is Time?
An excellent compilation of current time-knowledge. With a nice listing of sources in case you want to go even deeper.

P.S.
For everyone interested in such subjects (and generally physics/universe), I would recommend "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Green. Available as book, audiobook and PBS series, all good. He has a Sagan-like talent for presenting complex concepts to (relatively) wide audiences. Only ~high school physics needed .. and a lot of time :)

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor

As a time traveller i tell you we tried it. But always shiit happens and the future looks the same. ;)

raif71

Major Contributor
I've been thinking about time and some of the readings of time. I'm sure some of you have heard that our reality as it is is one computer simulation :). Suppose that it is, then time is just many rendering of reality at many instances and we are moving from one rendering to another in a proper manner. What actions and choices I and all others take will render the next instance in this "computer". Our memories or "soul" move from one rendering to the other in a linear manner from past to present to future. Let's assume that this computer/simulation does not erase past renderings and assume that we can move our memories from present rendering to the past, then essentially we "travelled" to the past and our actions may change the rendering thereon depending whether we did things differently before. This change starting from the "past" will be instantaneous in the computer world and when we move our memories to the present, the changes will already have occurred. Think of the rendering as avatars of ourselves in infinite renderings of instance and when we move our memories from present rendering to past rendering we are basically inhabiting our past avatars with memory from the present and living it in the past. Now comes the question if we want to go far back in past rendering where we do not exist, then we have to "ask" the computer to insert our avatars into that past, then we can essentially move to a time before we were born. That is traveling to the past but to the future, perhaps rendering of the future is already done in the computer based on the actions we take presently. Anyway this is my take on time. Thanks for taking time to read it....:D

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Without doubt the best book on time I've read is 'The Order of Time' by Carlo Rovelli, one of the founders of loop quantum gravity. It's a beautifully written, at points even poetic book, that systematically strips away all of our (incorrect) preconceptions about time, and then attempts to reconstruct the truth using our best physics theories.

Last edited:

TimF

Forum Donor
Rough numbers, At the time of the Roman Empire there were 200 million humans, in 1800 there were 1 billion humans, 1900 there were 1.6 billion humans and now there are 7.6 billion. That jump in population in the last 120 years can't be grasped. It hadn't happened before. Is it propitious? Certainly it is momentous. So much changed. So much change. Is there any steady ground any of us know? Science texts have freshness dating and are perishable items. Maxwell lived in the mid 1800's. Science is fairly new and is deeply suspect to most humans. The last hundred twenty years have been perhaps the most peculiar period of the era of humans.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It indeed has happened before. Blue-green algae did it a long time ago.

And they also killed off nearly everything else alive when they did it.

TimF

Forum Donor
Is there scale to what we think of as empty space? It seems to me to be devoid of scale. Time is an imposition of scale in space. It requires some feature that is not constant in every direction and scale. Right? Wrong?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time IS Space

in drag

multiply by i and c in the 4-vector of it all
I guess that your time-vector and those 4-vectors are references to the Minkowski-Einstein spacetime. An excellent theory but that 4x spacetime is only a math model, we still can't 'touch' the T part/vector. And as the saying goes, "the map is not the territory". Plus, Einstein's answer to "what is time" was mostly just "time is what the clocks measure".

P.S.
If that's not the case, I am quite lost and only have a general stay-safe advice: "don't play too much with your own vector". Some say you might go blind :)

Last edited:

cathodeb

Ok, but the past writings don't necessarily apply to today's livings.
We were meant to live and grow together, like a vignoble, like a garden of tomatoes.

If only we could go back in time and learn from the good lessons that would be a good start. If our space today becomes the space of our ancestors, then our children could walk in their shoes.
If all the particles in the human body could be disintegrated and reintegrated later on say one billion years in another space from another faraway galaxy of the universe we could invent a new theory on the Big Bang. We are not limited by any frontier, by any border, by any wall, our brain can activate the mind to build time travel machines.
We are limitless, it is inevitable.

In the 60 years that I've been around, I am starting to get the impression that absolutely anything is possible. Underlying our entire existence is the hard reality, the elements, the atoms, i.e., FIXED reality. Once we start having the knowledge and power to manipulate that FIXED reality, things are going to get really whacky.

Top Bottom