Search results

1. Presently42

Great recordings of classical music

How silly and annoying. I watched it a few weeks ago - and for me as well, it's blocked. Thankfully, vpns exist!
  2. Presently42

Great recordings of classical music

A most unexpected find - both the disc, and the person who knows of this! I found a few months ago a series of videos, Great Conductors of the Past. Here's the one in which Mengelberg appears, as he conducts the Concertgebouw in Paris:
  3. Presently42

New Beatles Song!

I thought I'd link the new Beatles song, which came out today: it's pretty good!
  4. Presently42

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Indisputable, you say? I wish to dispute. Period
  5. Presently42

XSA Labs Vanguard Speaker Review

Seems @amirm posted the spinorama twice, rather than the early reflections
  6. Presently42

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Just in case you're not aware, ProQ's Q values are not the same as those provided by oratory1990: oratory1990's must be equated to ProQ's with an annoying equation, dependant on frequency, bitrate and Q value: Qp = Qo*(2*π*(f/b))/sin(2*π*(f/b))*√(2) , where Qp is ProQ's Q value, Qo is...
  7. Presently42

You are quite right. I have indeed performed this experiment - and also found there to be not much difference in spatial effects. However, I did notice a fairly large difference when I removed the spatial effects bands from the HD800. I suspected (and still do, at least in part), that spatial...
  8. Presently42

Yes, the soundstage is absolutely affected. This effect is realised at around 7 - 9 kHz*. I simply leave the HD800 untouched in this crucial area. You can test this yourself: put in a fairly sharp peaking filter around 8 kHz, and play with the amplitude. Note how spatial effects are affected. Be...
  9. Presently42

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Pretty... uh... speaker. Yeah.
  10. Presently42

Let's talk about food!

From your description, you've made deliscious tahdig! Unfortunately, your links are utterly broken, and show up as a string of text.
  11. Presently42

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Another fine review. @amirm, the Top 20 DAC graph has a typo in the company's name
  12. Presently42

Recommendations for Mid-20th Century and later classical composers

Shockingly, no-one has mentioned Benjamin Britten of War Requiem fame. I had the greatest pleasure to sing this moving work with the local symphonic orchestra. By the last performance, the final movement had me in such an emotive state, that I couldn't even see the notes on the page. Anyway...
  13. Presently42

Album of the Year

Before this thread gets sidetracked, let's discuss the current ideas: 1: A generic Album of the Year. How this is agreed upon has several different methods: 1.1: Free for all: we each pick one, and the number of upvotes wins; 1.1.1: A year-long free-for-all thread, in which...
  14. Presently42

Album of the Year

Not what I'd had in mind - but not a bad idea! Indeed, I didn't have much in mind - other than celebrating a new album from the current year, and awarding it the completely arbitrary title of Best. I thought of including best album of various genres, but wanted to not influence discussion with...
  15. Presently42

Album of the Year

Seems not very clear, that's there's no great desire for album of the year. Maybe strudel of the year?
  16. Presently42

Album of the Year

Is there interest in having an ASR Album of the Year award? Perhaps for different genres, if there's interest? Ranked choice ballot? Jurors - or everyone can vote for anything? Discuss!
  17. Presently42

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

This is researched by Todd Welti: https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf From the conclusion: "One subwoofer at each wall midpoint is the best in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min but does not support low frequencies particularly well. Two subwoofers, at opposing wall midpoints...
  18. Presently42

JBL A180 Tower Speaker Review

To play devil's advocate, if the information is so commonly available, searching for (if indeed it even needs searching for) and including it in a review will take a trivial amount of time; and in no way preclude further reviews being made
Top Bottom