• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Album of the Year

Is there interest in an ASR Album of the Year?

• Yes

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Yes - with reservations

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I like strudel!

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My version: Has anyone listened to the last HarryStyles album, Harry's House? IMHO/YMMV: It sounds pop and I would not recommended it for Album of the Year nominee!

Duh!:mad:
What is wrong with you? You either ignore a post or reply to what is in it. You do not suggest a revision to someone else’s post. It is rude and frankly doesn’t help anyone.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you image what would happen if anyone posted and then wanted to defend their album here. Too SUBJECTIVE. Wait it's happening already :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DUH! Why waste both of our time posting something truncated and then insult my intelligence and my reading capabilities when I was trying to ask you honest questions.
I am sure if I ask you would tell me exactly what is wrong with me in addition to being rude and wutevr???

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DUH! Why waste both of our time posting something truncated and then insult my intelligence and my reading capabilities when I was trying to ask you honest questions.
I am sure if I ask you would tell me exactly what is wrong with me in addition to being rude and wutevr???
What was truncated. Please show me.

You copied my post starting with “my version.” What was wrong with my post that you need to revise it?

Not to mention the fact that you were not asking a question. You were stating your view.

I simply asked if anyone listened to an album. Think!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What was truncated. Please show me.
You copied my post starting with “my version.” What was wrong with my post that you need to revise it?
Not to mention the fact that you were not asking a question. You were stating your view.
I simply asked if anyone listened to an album. Think!
Post #37 (just above your 1st one on Post#38) replied to @polmuaddib "top 10 charts: and I replied "no [] way!
Next post someone asks about HarryStyles.
Your post#41 asks me "Please read my post" [NOW removed] << Would have I replied with my questions (genre? - your thoughts?) if I hadn't read your post?
Are those "honest" enough questions for you? "Please read my post".
Do I have to still explain to you what I meant by 'truncated'?
Did you notice that on your behalf my version also included a yt link instead; so that I [you?] don't have to tell people to sign up to listen to spotify?
But most importantly would it not benefit everyone if you had just answered my 'honest question' to begin with?

What is wrong with you? You either ignore a post or reply to what is in it. You do not suggest a revision to someone else’s post. It is rude and frankly doesn’t help anyone.
Why call me names and then state (in bold) to not "suggest revisions". "Please read my post"

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked a question at #38
Has anyone listened the last Harry Styles album, Harry’s House?
to which you replied at #39 telling me what I "should" say. Not cool.
Should you put a "IMHO", so that we are warned in advance?
Is he disco ;) pop or worth it?

EDIT: I wagered on your link: Spotify requires sign-in!
I then clarified at #40
I didn’t give an opinion. I asked a question.

See above…

Spotify has a free plan. You can find the same album on your preferred service I’m sure.
To which you replied tersely, again, at #41
My version: Has anyone listened to the last HarryStyles album, Harry's House? IMHO/YMMV: It sounds pop and I would not recommended it for Album of the Year nominee!

Duh!:mad:
Are you having difficulty reading the forum? Or, are you venting frustration to other posts that you have issue with, on me?

Last edited:
OP
Presently42

Presently42

Before this thread gets sidetracked, let's discuss the current ideas:

1: A generic Album of the Year. How this is agreed upon has several different methods:​

1.1: Free for all: we each pick one, and the number of upvotes wins;​

1.1.1: A year-long free-for-all thread, in which albums are periodically put forth, and the number of upvotes wins;

1.2: Selection: A certain number of albums - possibly of various genres - is put forth for consideration. A Curator then selects the best, and these are put to the vote.​

2: A Curated List:​

2.1: Various albums deemed worthy:​

2.1.1: Euphonically;
2.1.2: Recording quality;
2.1.3: Some other ephemeral quality.

One thing I should like to point out is, that this thread is *not* the place to put forth one's album suggestions; rather, this thread is meant as a discussion of what exactly we're looking for in an album of the year. Let's keep things civilly to this topic, and I think things will be well.

Edit: my formatting wishes are not being obeyed.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor

1: A generic Album of the Year. How this is agreed upon has several different methods:​

1.1.1: A year-long free-for-all thread, in which albums are periodically put forth, and the number of upvotes wins;

1.2: Selection: A certain number of albums - possibly of various genres - is put forth for consideration. A Curator then selects the best, and these are put to the vote.​

One thing I should like to point out is, that this thread is *not* the place to put forth one's album suggestions; rather, this thread is meant as a discussion of what exactly we're looking for in an album of the year. Let's keep things civilly to this topic, and I think things will be well.

How would we define one recording as objectively better than another? Dynamic range, full use of audio spectrum, no clipping, no ultra sonic garbage, some special new recording process?
My first suggestion was objectivly the most popular album. Finding the best recording seems very difficult.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
isn’t it impossible to understand the artists or recording engineers intent when judging a recording? I can think of a number of modern recording mixes that overemphasize bass in my opinion, but who am I to say that it wasn’t the desired effect?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A humble suggested alternative. How about a thread for "our personal favorite Album of the year (2022)." And they we all post our personal favorite release of 2022. Then we all get to discover new albums from each other! :)

Marc v E

Major Contributor

I'm for 2.1.2 Recording quality.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A humble suggested alternative. How about a thread for "our personal favorite Album of the year (2022)." And they we all post our personal favorite release of 2022. Then we all get to discover new albums from each other! :)
ASR already has a ~800 page thread "What are we listening to right now..." << It could supplement your humble suggested alternative.
I think the "Likes" of those replies/entries may also help in the tally...

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Seems not very clear, that's there's no great desire for album of the year. Maybe strudel of the year?
FXddp6wXgAAbDj3.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

gsp1971

Forum Donor
How would we define one recording as objectively better than another? Dynamic range, full use of audio spectrum, no clipping, no ultra sonic garbage, some special new recording process?
My first suggestion was objectively the most popular album. Finding the best recording seems very difficult.
It does not have to be that complicated. I think we are all aware of the concepts of Dynamic Range, clipping, compression, etc.
The DR Database can help: https://dr.loudness-war.info/
Audacity or other similar software can also help if someone has them.
Discogs (https://www.discogs.com) can also help with the years of original release

But at the end of the day, the idea I suggested ultimately comes down to this:
  • Recommend your favorite album(s) that YOU think the recording quality is great, or the performance is great, or (preferably) both.
  • Year of album release must be between 1953 and 2023 ( to make it a nice round 70 years = 70 great albums).
  • We go for the year of the original album release, even though the version we might own was released later. For example, if I want to recommend the debut album from Dire Straits, it must go in the list of albums for year = 1978, even though the version you might have and like and recommend is the 2019 SACD.
Slowly but surely, a list of recommended albums for each year is starting to form, where we can all vote for all the albums we like.
In the end, the album that gets the most votes (for each year) becomes Album of the Year, and before we know it we have something like 70 albums "to die for" as voted by the infallible and knowledgeable ASR community.

I have no idea how to do this technically, with vote buttons and the like.

If there is enough interest, we can ask a moderator for help.

Also, we can make a start with ONLY one year, e.g 1978, just to get the thread / process / voting buttons started, see how it all works, make whatever adjustments / corrections necessary, before launching the thread full blast.

Something like this:

YearArtistAlbumRecommended ReleaseVotes (with buttons)
1978Dire StraitsDire Straits2019 SACD1
1978xxxxxxxxxxxx1

The thread can remain open for one year, until Nov 2023. One year is enough time for everyone to do their digging / research.

Your thoughts are welcome.

PS We often get caught up in the equipment side and forget to enjoy the music. This idea is about the music.

gsp

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thread can remain open for one year, until Nov 2023. One year is enough time for everyone to do their digging / research.

Your thoughts are welcome.
Emphasis being on the "Album of the Year"; the "1978" AotY may have to be an open rolling-vote that never stops (year-over-year)... as with any year including 2022.
Sounds like a very big undertaking but I commend you for thinking it seriously.:)

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Emphasis being on the "Album of the Year"; the "1978" AotY may have to be an open rolling-vote that never stops (year-over-year)... as with any year including 2022.
Sounds like a very big undertaking but I commend you for thinking it seriously.:)
As mentioned the thread will remain open for one year, until Nov 2023, then all voting stops, and the album with the most votes gets Album of the Year (for each year).

If such a thread were to start, I can easily recommend 10-20 albums from memory.

If 50 members do the same, we have a list of 1,000 albums within a few days. It's not that difficult to compile.

What will be a little more time-consuming is the voting process, if one has to go through a list of say 1,000 - 2,000 albums in order to vote for the ones he/she likes.

That's why I recommended the thread stay open for a year, to give people enough time to scan through the list, perhaps discover new albums, listen to some of them on youtube, spotify, or whatever, and then vote.

Personally, if through this process I manage to discover say 50-100 new albums of great recording quality and enrich my musical collection, I'll be a happy man,

gsp

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What will be a little more time-consuming is the voting process, if one has to go through a list of say 1,000 - 2,000 albums in order to vote for the ones he/she likes.
Rank-Choice?:eek:

Top Bottom