• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

Andysu

Major Contributor
i went to this ( gone now demolished covid other pizza , done it in )

OMG is that patrick stewart star trek next gen , going into a pizza restaurant? well often these actors do stage shows at bournemouth ?

1390469_10152015597575149_2113300440_n.jpg
484728_10152015597660149_27326804_n.jpg

946066_10152015597820149_1743547798_n.jpg

Presently42

It doesn't taste as nice as the one my friend made for me though. Maybe you could tell me what you think of the rice texture. Soaked 2 hours, boiled 10 minutes, and then cooked 45 mins in a pot undisturbed. I managed to form a nice crust and the cake didn't break all over the place when I flipped it over. Only a few bits of crust fell off.
From your description, you've made deliscious tahdig! Unfortunately, your links are utterly broken, and show up as a string of text.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
From your description, you've made deliscious tahdig! Unfortunately, your links are utterly broken, and show up as a string of text.

Thank you! I am careful about adding water to rice and cooking times, so I was somewhat surprised by the method suggested by the recipe and various Youtube videos. They all agreed with each other so that's what I did. I thought the rice was a bit too soft for my taste though. Next time I will not boil the rice for as long, maybe 5 min instead of 10 min. And I will monitor the done-ness while it is on the stove.

BTW I used a copper pot which conducted the heat up the sides very nicely. I oiled it very well so I managed to get really nice crispy browning on the sides.

Links? Those are all image uploads to ASR. Does anyone else have trouble seeing the pictures?

Andysu

Major Contributor
^ images appear as this ? odd if uploaded ?
Screenshot 2023-03-02 22.33.37.png

Andysu

Major Contributor
rice cake i put mayo on it maybe some ( poor creature ) tuna ( poor creature fish ) or just as is .
like , the man from uncle ben rice , say no to hunger .rice is good

Andysu

Major Contributor
slow cook high end lots of veg only , should be ready around 7am

332085937_150297987911535_7969373450203321805_n.jpg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Dinner tonight was:
20230308_182848.jpg

Bruschetta. Tomato, basil, garlic, olive oil and sourdough bread only. Dice the tomatoes and mince the 1/4 clove garlic to a paste. Mix it with shredded basil, EVOO, salt, and sugar to taste. (ALL tomato salads need to be balanced with salt and sugar to taste). Toast the bread then rub it with 1/2 a clove of raw garlic. Add tomato mixture along with juice on top.

There are variations of bruschetta with onion, balsamic, olives, chilli, and even cheese (usually a Straciatella or Mozarella) on top. I don't like any of them, this is the OG Italian way and IMHO the simplest way is the best. As you can see, I add a LOT of tomato and it is so fresh and light. BTW, if you order this in a restaurant, it is pronounced "brus-keTTa" with an emphasis on the T. Not "brooshetta" or "brus-CHeta".

20230308_184344.jpg

Seared marlin with caper, anchovy, and lemon sauce. I would have added parsley for some freshness, but all the parsley in my garden is dead :( Lightly salt the marlin then leave in the fridge for a 30 min up to a few hours. Wipe off all the white protein that seeps out. Remove from the fridge then sear on both sides in some olive oil, then finish in a 180C oven for 10 min. Meanwhile, chop up 1/2 tbsp capers per steak, with 1/2 a can of Ortiz anchovies. Fry them until anchovies form a paste (about 30 sec). Take off heat, and add the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Stir in chopped parsley to taste (I didn't have any obviously). Remove marlin from oven and spoon the sauce on top.

I think that an Olive tapenade sauce would also go well with this fish. For that, I would mince some pitted olives to your preferred texture (I like it slightly chunky) then lightly fry the some shallots in olive oil until translucent, then add the chopped olives. Remove from the heat then squeeze lemon and add parsley and stir to emulsify. I have made this sauce for various types of panfried fish, and it goes well with most firm fleshed white fish.

Marlin is somewhat of a rarity in Melbourne, Australia where I live - so I was quite excited when I saw some at the fishmonger's today. The taste is like a fishier, more briny version of tuna with the texture of swordfish. As with tuna and swordfish, care must be taken NOT to overcook the fish otherwise it will become tough and fibrous. The recipe I gave gives you the perfect texture. It is slightly pink in the middle (my preferred texture for all red fish).

20230308_184548.jpg

Basic green salad. Dressing is EVOO, red wine vinegar, seeded mustard in a 3:0.5:1 ratio.

Andysu

Major Contributor
THX approved pizza

10498678_10152526673195149_2522346761830596642_o.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
egg and bagle breakfast
egg.jpg

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After working our way through most of the menu at Eat at Joyas we had to go to this chef's new fancier sit down place Agni

cityuIiPMPzkwWnplo9YaMEqIOIfcc4jK-ovtuByZQtvO_8_77uCBkwGxBoORlOU6joFOUoaYDoMbu7eofdGfqX3Bv9YIDQ33WGNB3S2yC6vavjLQvlgD02KDtAdfCby5NaheoW3mMSRz0Lntd8K4hhFywHRMKAMRzB5bsitU3UG93Rrkv8bn22EAAU8r15KPCK0b7d_0CYquDve8wHbbonRdOYJCOeyWjfmd1cBZmr685SQXHtyIuuDd6KIh7gug8RbkSw5oF-Up4y7H8Y_4ucquYLM4N3Q438z0cNTwd9I9vZkzTRIdxt0_52ni6m-ewzQd0oe83SpZPrDV38roLAPiFuexoF8tIRuisN4imLYeSDODiWiqgrCBbhvmSZv31DVwxlbqLN7yXoLJKMXGKDwgHBxMFtjqCAuiCrBxbBwiwRzx82ak43l0U1Bb2Xti45QXEdPopyqKEm36u0iPZhFYsEr1lsX-1Qitd91MFBUUyca-y9pI4eFABesabAg0rXl19vjaDSWQj5fy5u5XnKZrMo-l30mpqYEvBGKuV2Gzqfj40EA-vLfB6eni2III4utSFnWu73DM0_XHJbJCo6ej2Ghsg38ai7v2SalO86Pe4t5DYKq46V3ZVjr3a8MlviZz3j7uFpd9CQrEh6iERJoCPB7OZr7G6AZOP23K5cXLaXVVd5zjijmyOzPwlPOera90QsTxJPKYmBzizAQTGA3BBPnCCPABMfzacWOuLIVe_q5pr-trgE_TqiAxaEx7qCPuXaHeq0b1Xxva5-G_hGzrA8bG0ZTH_zOXeehKVzMxch74nzQ0ZW-QaoOrw1RdDXHnEDH8L3ftIgkAiu7ys7IuIcgt_AWIWFr9fUf5oR4I1KUhcSXh0vGwJ49H2UbzvIfl6-qXliqLC4oaRK7Bc7zRG57dWlQDGtbbsVDlOR735gX80Bve9qEeV082vR2rfL4VqILILx_=w989-h1319-s-no

1681241433834.png

Which is one of the 10 or so courses; 5 on the menu but they purposefully add in others to make you stuffed by the time you leave.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I went back to our local Sichuanese restaurant last night.

On top: Fish in Chilli oil. Chinese "水煮鱼" actually translates to "water cooked fish" but "Fish and Chilli Oil" is what you will find in English.

Bottom: Ma Po Tofu ("麻婆豆腐"). Translates to "Grandmother Tofu". It refers to what your granny would have cooked for you.

As you can tell from all the dried chilli and Sichuan peppers floating in it, both are intensely spicy. There is actually less dried chilli than you might typically find if you Googled this dish because we asked them for less chilli. If you haven't had Sichuan peppers before, you need to try it. It is fragrant and floral, and has a numbing effect on the tongue. The first few bites have tolerable heat, but as dinner goes on it builds up and before long I was sweating and crying. I told my wife that there are 3 phases with Sichuan food: first phase "it's so yummy!!". Second phase: you are crying from the heat. Third phase: you get a ring of fire the next day.

Cantonese food is the most popular type of Chinese cuisine worldwide, but Sichuanese cuisine is the most popular in China. I am Cantonese, our food is mild in flavour, lightly seasoned, and the idea is for you to taste the natural taste and texture of food. I think this is because of geography: Guangdong (the British changed it to "Canton") is located in an area of abundance in China where the climate is mild, the coastline is long and full of fish, and fresh vegetables are available year round. Cantonese people have less need to preserve food since fresh food is always available. People from Guangdong think that you only add spices or do awful things to food (like fry) if you need to mask the smell of food which is not fresh - so Sichuanese food is the opposite in philosophy to Cantonese food.

Australia has seen a lot of immigration from mainland China, so there are a lot of restaurants like this in Melbourne. Being Chinese myself, I can detect accents and I can tell where people are from. The whole restaurant was full of mainland Chinese. Nobody from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, or anywhere else where Chinese people live. And especially no non-Chinese. This is a pity. If you can tolerate spicy food, you should give this wonderful cuisine a try.

1684890725149.png

1684890769162.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

On top: Fish in Chilli oil. Chinese "水煮鱼" actually translates to "water cooked fish" but "Fish and Chilli Oil" is what you will find in English.

Bottom: Ma Po Tofu ("麻婆豆腐"). Translates to "Grandmother Tofu". It refers to what your granny would have cooked for you.

As you can tell from all the dried chilli and Sichuan peppers floating in it, both are intensely spicy. There is actually less dried chilli than you might typically find if you Googled this dish because we asked them for less chilli. If you haven't had Sichuan peppers before, you need to try it. It is fragrant and floral, and has a numbing effect on the tongue. The first few bites have tolerable heat, but as dinner goes on it builds up and before long I was sweating and crying. I told my wife that there are 3 phases with Sichuan food: first phase "it's so yummy!!". Second phase: you are crying from the heat. Third phase: you get a ring of fire the next day.

Cantonese food is the most popular type of Chinese cuisine worldwide, but Sichuanese cuisine is the most popular in China. I am Cantonese, our food is mild in flavour, lightly seasoned, and the idea is for you to taste the natural taste and texture of food. I think this is because of geography: Guangdong (the British changed it to "Canton") is located in an area of abundance in China where the climate is mild, the coastline is long and full of fish, and fresh vegetables are available year round. Cantonese people have less need to preserve food since fresh food is always available. People from Guangdong think that you only add spices or do awful things to food (like fry) if you need to mask the smell of food which is not fresh - so Sichuanese food is the opposite in philosophy to Cantonese food.

Australia has seen a lot of immigration from mainland China, so there are a lot of restaurants like this in Melbourne. Being Chinese myself, I can detect accents and I can tell where people are from. The whole restaurant was full of mainland Chinese. Nobody from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, or anywhere else where Chinese people live. And especially no non-Chinese. This is a pity. If you can tolerate spicy food, you should give this wonderful cuisine a try.

View attachment 287758

View attachment 287759
I haven't made mapo tofu in a while. You convinced me to have it for dinner tomorrow.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

View attachment 287758

View attachment 287759

I always thought chili oil fish and mabou tofu were the most widely known Szechuan dishes.

Maybe also dan dan mein.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 287758

View attachment 287759
I have had dishes just like these hundreds of times for lunch and dinner with entrees etc. Delicious!

Andysu

Major Contributor
chez fred's fish and chips , highest high end of fish and chips , maybe not served by window with an ocean view but only 7 mins from the beach

348995866_789288649409949_3366226866247915587_n.jpg
348839376_648722926585794_5577966910950792717_n.jpg

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Risotto Milanese made with saffron I find ideal match for orange wines, Here, it is the side dish for the veal osso buco.
347237913_177331111603276_2436292395687463854_n.jpg

Top Bottom