• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Predatowned

IMG_4672.jpeg
Figured I’d ask this question in this thread rather than start a new a new one. I have an hd800s coming and i read the new revisions come with a 4.4 balanced cable instead of the standard XLR form factor that most desktop amps use. What adapter do I need to purchase in order to use the XLR connection on my drop thx 789. Thank you!

Edit:
Something like this?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 278190Figured I’d ask this question in this thread rather than start a new a new one. I have an hd800s coming and i read the new revisions come with a 4.4 balanced cable instead of the standard XLR form factor that most desktop amps use. What adapter do I need to purchase in order to use the XLR connection on my drop thx 789. Thank you!

Edit:
Something like this?
You can even get ones that don't have a cable between, just the 4.4 coming out of the back of the xlr plug. I have one, can't remember where from or how much though.

Zensō

Major Contributor
View attachment 278190Figured I’d ask this question in this thread rather than start a new a new one. I have an hd800s coming and i read the new revisions come with a 4.4 balanced cable instead of the standard XLR form factor that most desktop amps use. What adapter do I need to purchase in order to use the XLR connection on my drop thx 789. Thank you!

Edit:
Something like this?
Or you could get a cable from Hart with interchangeable connectors. I don’t really like the stock HD800S cable, which to me is too long and bulky.

Rac1

Try the HD 800 S using the headphone jack from an older integrated amplifier or receiver and you may be stunned at the result, and set aside your equalizer.

The Topping A90, with it's very low output impedance is a poor match for the 800 S.

I recently switched to my old NAD C352 amp from the several other's -- including Sennheiser's own Hdvd 800 -- and couldn't be happier with the results.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try the HD 800 S using the headphone jack from an older integrated amplifier or receiver and you may be stunned at the result, and set aside your equalizer.

The Topping A90, with it's very low output impedance is a poor match for the 800 S.

I recently switched to my old NAD C352 amp from the several other's -- including Sennheiser's own Hdvd 800 -- and couldn't be happier with the results.
Far better to use EQ rather than try to rely on some unknown interaction between headphone amps that don't measure well and perhaps have high output impedance which changes your headphone frequency response in a more unpredictable and less precise way.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

You are perpetuating a myth, not an objective fact.

Analogous to "vinyl sounds more organic".

Capybara

I've read elsewhere that EQ'ing the 800s, say with the oratory1990 preset, can adversely affect the imaging and soundstage, anyone have any experience with that or is that a non-issue?

MacClintock

I've read elsewhere that EQ'ing the 800s, say with the oratory1990 preset, can adversely affect the imaging and soundstage, anyone have any experience with that or is that a non-issue?
I have the HD800 and cannot confirm this, soundstage and imaging remain basically the same, independent of the EQ being used, I mean that is the charm of the HD 800(S).

Last edited:

edahl

People like to say that, but I agree with the others here that it's a non issue.

Chagall

Forum Donor

I feel like you do lose some soundstage when filling up the mid dip, but it's not major. Voices sound closer, more in head. That's why I have two EQ settings.

Presently42

Yes, the soundstage is absolutely affected. This effect is realised at around 7 - 9 kHz*. I simply leave the HD800 untouched in this crucial area. You can test this yourself: put in a fairly sharp peaking filter around 8 kHz, and play with the amplitude. Note how spatial effects are affected. Be careful to not make the peak too high: you could damage your hearing in this very sensitive area.

* There is work done by a German researcher, whose name I can't recall (I'll update this post when it comes to me), which demonstrates, that certain frequency ranges affect certain spatial perceptions.

Edit: Jens Blauert is the name of the researcher I was thinking of. His researcher established the existence of Blauert Bands. Play around with these areas and investigate!
270033_1_En_1_Fig12_HTML.png

Last edited:

MacClintock

Yes, the soundstage is absolutely affected. This effect is realised at around 7 - 9 kHz*. I simply leave the HD800 untouched in this crucial area. You can test this yourself: put in a fairly sharp peaking filter around 8 kHz, and play with the amplitude. Note how spatial effects are affected. Be careful to not make the peak too high: you could damage your hearing in this very sensitive area.

* There is work done by a German researcher, whose name I can't recall (I'll update this post when it comes to me), which demonstrates, that certain frequency ranges affect certain spatial perceptions.

Edit: Jens Blauert is the name of the researcher I was thinking of. His researcher established the existence of Blauert Bands. Play around with these areas and investigate!
270033_1_En_1_Fig12_HTML.png
I am aware of the fact that Jens Blauert did write one of the most relevant books on psychoacoustics and is (or was, now retired) a leading expert in the field. But still, simply make the opposite experiment. EQ any headphone to the original frequency response of the HD 800 and I am pretty sure you will not replicate the soundstage of it. So specific frequencies certainly have an effect, but it is minor in comparison to the rest.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
In my experience, using Oratory’s EQ through Pro-Q3 running in SoundSource sounds great, with little to no change in stereo imaging or soundstage.

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 6.22.02 PM.png

Last edited:

Phoney

Made this by looking at crinacles 3 graphs and oratorys graph, and did some by ear. Worked really well for my specific unit.

281106f5ea6fdf144e691e6356457f04.png

Zensō

Major Contributor
Made this by looking at crinacles 3 graphs and oratorys graph, and did some by ear. Worked really well for my specific unit.

View attachment 289727
Looks good. Here it is compared to Oratory’s with the horizontal and vertical scales adjusted.

IMG_1589.jpeg

Top Bottom