Search results

1. wemist01

Pick me a modern amp

Got a favorite you want to point me to? I'm all ears: I generally make do with hardware that is somewhat vintage. Recently the reviews for the Topping LA90 piqued my curiosity in the potential benefits of an amp upgrade, but now that I have some money to play with, I've become concerned that...
  2. wemist01

The headphone is "fast"? What the heck does that mean?

I'm afraid this is not a sincere question, as I think the term is audiophile BS. Has anyone ever seen a valid attempt to put some flesh on this ghost of a term? Even accepting that the term is nonsense, how do you translate its use in most situations? I just read it as acknowledging a treble...
  3. wemist01

Monoprice - is this a place to complain about service?

Ordered the 10" THX sub, which the website claims is in stock and ready to ship. Order status page now says Order Status Shipped Out via FedE... But when you click through it shows that the item is unshipped and that is is "being packed". It has been in this status for two weeks. I initially...
  4. wemist01

Audiosource RIP?

Audiosource, headquartered in Tigard, OR. Specialties are multi-zone amps. Looks like they may be belly-up. The Audiosource website is down, as is Tri Lion's site, their parent company. So be warned if you are shopping their gear. Warranties are only as good as the health of the parent company...
  5. wemist01

Non-home theater hardware solution for multiple zone 2's?

I'm moving into a townhome under 20 years in age that has an internal speaker system. Ground floor 5.1, plus five independent zone twos. If I'm stating that right, there are five independent sets of stereo speakers throughout the house in the ceiling. My complication is that I don't care about...
  6. wemist01

Two-channel network receiver with good app?

Two kinds of replies here would be welcome: 1. Where to go where this is a typical discussion? My own system is decidedly mid-90s, but I now need to research this, and don't want to wade through a bunch of home theater stuff that's overkill for my need here 2. If you have feedback on something...
  7. wemist01

Revel M Stand alternative?

Any bookshelf stands out there which - are less "tippy" as one online reviewer called these - can be drilled with holes so the speaker can be locked down? I have a cat that likes to go vertical, and am looking to eliminate the possibility of damage. Thanks.
  8. wemist01

"Small" solution for larger space

New digs. Listening room with traditional audio attractions will be on another floor. This question here is basically one of "what small hardware will serve a large, open space well? The environment is one where the kitchen, dining and "living room" are all joined, almost in an L shape, but...
  9. wemist01

Reorienting to nearfield? (or midfield)

Perhaps this doesn't even qualify as nearfield, but it could get close. So apologies for the vagueness. I've had a goal for quite a while of getting speakers that could fill a 16x12 living room (to replace a rehabbed pair of Rogers Studio 1s that don't even have matching woofers- DSP saves the...
  10. wemist01

Vintage 24/96 ADC (and DAC) - Onkyo SE-U55SX (2010) - Thoughts?

I'm curious if anyone has either first-hand experience with this or thinks that with the specs below it might still be equal to a Scarlett 2i2 using TRS jacks. I'm only seriously interested in ADC. The device is 10 years old at this point, but the predecessor to this, the SE-U55 (limited to...
  11. wemist01

Hi-fi makeover - $2k hypothetical

My goal over the next year is to save $2k or so and then shop for speakers for a two-channel upgrade. But what if the money were better spent in some other way? Every thread I've started here I've almost always received answers I did not expect, so feel free to map your interests onto any...
  12. wemist01

Hearing Aids

Saw the thread on "age-diminished hearing" and it didn't quite have the focus I'm after. I'm a 51-year-old cancer/chemo survivor and have been hearing-aid eligible for probably five years. Up to now I've simply tolerated and worked around the problem because I didn't have the $4k-plus to make a...
  13. wemist01

Best value active speakers for a modest room

My daughter plays double bass and knows that Alexa sounds like c#$%. I'm looking for an active speaker solution that will pair with a turntable and hopefully offer other input options. This is for a bedroom in a 100-year-old building that is jam-packed with personal items. So a relatively small...
  14. wemist01

Turntable system from scratch for the high-schooler

My daughter plays double bass and has decided that she wants to move from listening only to YouTube to playing records. The turntable and stereo system in the family room is too public; she want's something for her room. The only redundancy I have is a spare phono stage, and that may be useless...
  15. wemist01

Two-channel Audyssey receiver with pre-out?

I'm living in the past- 80s Rogers Studio 1 speakers, 90's NAD receiver, Arcam ALpha 9 amp from 2000. I have no interest in surround/home theater; I simply want to keep upgrading my two-channel system. I love the idea of using a tool like Audyssey, but would prefer not pay to replace the power...
Top Bottom