• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value active speakers for a modest room

wemist01

My daughter plays double bass and knows that Alexa sounds like c#$%. I'm looking for an active speaker solution that will pair with a turntable and hopefully offer other input options. This is for a bedroom in a 100-year-old building that is jam-packed with personal items. So a relatively small space. My goal is to get the most accurate sound out of a small source. I'm looking at the $200/$250 Edifiers. Any judgments of those or alternatives you want to offer would be welcome. I'm already going to be spending either $300 or $350 on a turntable, and the WAF for $600 on this is already a hurdle. By most measurements, this price range for speakers is all about compromises- I just want to know if anyone has made a similar search and has first-hand advice. Thanks.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless the turntable has a phono preamp built-in (like the Audio Technical ones), that’d be something to take note of.

Another route is of course going with say a Topping MX3 for $130 and then passive bookshelves,

Last edited:
OP
wemist01

wemist01

Unless the turntable has a phono preamp built-in (like the Audio Technical ones), that’d be something to take note of.

Another route is of course going with say a Topping MX3 for $130 and then passive bookshelves,

I have a spare phono preamp so that's no problem. Allows for a better turntable (cartridge, really) on the budget. Can't see how I could afford something like the topping and have any $ left for decent speakers.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a spare phono preamp so that's no problem. Allows for a better turntable (cartridge, really) on the budget. Can't see how I could afford something like the topping and have any $ left for decent speakers.
The Neumi BS5 that Erin reviewed/measured are good and $90.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If she is a teenager, JBL eon 610s are on sale for $274 each. ;) you will just need a new thread on what TT to get with the $52 that leaves in your budget.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My daughter plays double bass and knows that Alexa sounds like c#$%. I'm looking for an active speaker solution that will pair with a turntable and hopefully offer other input options. This is for a bedroom in a 100-year-old building that is jam-packed with personal items. So a relatively small space. My goal is to get the most accurate sound out of a small source. I'm looking at the $200/$250 Edifiers. Any judgments of those or alternatives you want to offer would be welcome. I'm already going to be spending either $300 or $350 on a turntable, and the WAF for $600 on this is already a hurdle. By most measurements, this price range for speakers is all about compromises- I just want to know if anyone has made a similar search and has first-hand advice. Thanks.
Well, I'd go for the Pioneer PLX500 TT and maybe the Behringer Monitors @amirm has measured not long ago. You still need something to control volume, at least if the phono preamp you mentioned doesn't have one.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, he is really detailed in his reviews.

Here's another one:

Last edited:
Top Bottom