Search results

1. B

Horns sound this way? Ribbons sound that way?

I keep seeing marketers and posters (elsewhere) say that they don't like horn speakers or they can't stand the sound of a metal tweeter. Is there any truth to all this? I'm sure different designs lead to different compromises, but in the end, a properly engineered speaker should get the job...
  2. B

What speakers are these?

https://ap.rdcpix.com/7835e571e226151a2b04c498a6b74679l-m2305243538od-w1024_h768_x2.webp https://ap.rdcpix.com/7835e571e226151a2b04c498a6b74679l-m22435543od-w1024_h768_x2.webp In this house ad: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/56-3156-Puu-Mamo-Dr_Hawi_HI_96719_M86282-25214
  3. B

Pure Electric Vehicles

So what you got? What have you had? What's on order? How are supply chain screwups treating you? What do you think of each vehicle? Don't even talk about your gas burner, hybrid or not. Your hydrogen honeysuckle can go huff glue. Do not even mention them! We've got a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace...
  4. B

Can we measure how much the DAC and amp matter?

Take a great, flat, low distortion speaker. Feed it with a flat, low distortion DAC and amp combo. Measure it. Feed it with a messy, distorted, uneven responding, but not actually broken DAC and amp combo. Measure it. Try again with a distorted but flat source. Compare final results.
  5. B

Turn off the main speakers and leave the sub on then play with the low pass filter.

Play some of your favorite songs. Get the volume to where you like it. Turn off your main speakers and leave the sub on. Try different low pass levels and different genres of music. I've got a 24db filter at 30Hz, and there's a ton going on in many tracks. In most rock tracks I played, little...
  6. B

Videos vs. Articles

I must admit, I am not a fan of videos. It's not that @amirm does a bad job. Far from it. I just find videos grating. I can get through an article in a few minutes. A video? So painfully slow. But that's me. What about you? Answer the poll!
  7. B

Cubicle panels to deaden room reflections?

I have some cubicle panels from my office, no longer in use. I was thinking of putting them against the walls in certain places to reduce reflections. Thoughts on this? Would it help any? I could even double up in some locations. It would still be a live room, thanks to all the hard...
  8. B

No more ASR Discord - Stop asking.

I will not post the link here since that would just get spam, but PM or post if you want in.
  9. B

8K vs 4K for a large computer monitor?

I just ordered the LG CX 48" display to use as a computer monitor. It's 4K and OLED with 120Hz and HDR, so it's pretty hot stuff. I love the black blacks and often view in a dim or dark room. Mainly it will be a work monitor. With it pushed back as far as possible, I will get a about 38"...
  10. B

Goodbye, Tidal

I did the cheap Tidal family trial for several months. It did not work out for us. My daughter never even used it. She just kept using Spotify, with all her playlists. My son tried it a bit, but he had Spotify lists already. He has a Discord bot that automatically streams the audio of music...
  11. B

I'm building my man cave/theater. Where to put things?

Where should I put my speakers, sub, screen, and seat? I have 2.1 and probably will do 5.1 or 7.1. Might get that Denon 3600 that reviews so well. It's a long, narrow room with one high wall and one low wall. All dimensions are interior and within an inch of true. The door is on one end and...
  12. B

High Wall Mounting Near Ceiling

I have the 708p sitting on stands right now, but they take up a lot of room and will fall over in a quake. I'd like to mount them on the wall, and I was thinking of mounting them up high to keep them well out of the way, angled downwards towards a seating position across the room. ~8 foot...
  13. B

Where do I do my crossovers?

I have the SHD Studio, which has a variety of crossover DSP capability, including a crossover for a sub. Then I have the JBL 708P which can do all sorts of DSP fun, including a crossover for a sub. Then I have the SVS PB16 which can do its own DSP crossover and such. Right now, I have the...
  14. B

Rare books

I just found a copy of Atomsk by Cordwainer Smith, aka Paul Linebarger. He's one of my absolute favorites, and one of the lesser known but great science fiction authors. I've wanted to read it for years, but all the copies were over $100. This one is part of some 4-books-in-1 series from the...
  15. B

First album? First single? Medium?

First album: Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses on cassette First single: The Dream Team is in the House! by The Dream Team on vinyl 12"
  16. B

Intermittent fasting

Been intermittent fasting for two weeks now. Lost maybe three or four real pounds, not water weight. My stomach feels way better. I did cheat and overeat late a day in the middle, and my stomach punished me for it. I eat first around noon then snack if I want and start eating my last meal around...
  17. B

What's your media storage like?

I'm super excited to be, for the first time, resilvering a hard driver in a RAID. That Seagate bit the dust after 7 years of spinning, so I bought a 3TB HGST SAS pull off ebay and stuck it into my 36-bay Supermicro server case. I wasn't sweating, though. It's a RAIDZ3, so two more drives...
  18. B

SINAD Audio Files, Please!

The genius @garbulky said we should get recorded files of various SINAD levels and then we can ABX them. So a song or three. A single tone. A multi-tone. Then people can listen on their home systems and see if they can tell the difference, ABX. So feed different models of DAC into an RME or...
  19. B

What were you for Halloween?

I was Ash Ketchum. Pokeball. Stuffed Pikachu. OG Ash hat. Well, a red hat (Ferrari, not MAGA) with the symbol taped to the front.
  20. B

Native Language vs Hearing?

Different languages have different phonemes and accents. Do these differences lead to varying sensitivity to sound frequency and other parts of sound? Like most if not all non-Chinese speakers, I'm mostly deaf to Chinese tones. I often cannot tell a non-English phoneme from similar English...
Top Bottom