• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Wall Mounting Near Ceiling

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 708p sitting on stands right now, but they take up a lot of room and will fall over in a quake. I'd like to mount them on the wall, and I was thinking of mounting them up high to keep them well out of the way, angled downwards towards a seating position across the room. ~8 foot ceilings. ~14 feet to the seating position from the wall. Speakers spaces apart to make an equilateral triangle in a diagonal plane.

Bad idea? Good idea?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Where do you live?

1584333556150.png

Gee, I didn't know coastal South Carolina was a hazardous area.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in the most hazardous area of the west coast, quite close to a major fault. Good for about a 7.0, I figure. Annnnny second now.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The late Dr. David L. Clark set up his last A/V system with soffit-mounted speakers (Behringer active monitors I think) all around.

For a while I had Tannoy LCR monitors mounted high. Not quite ceiling, but the Tulip phase plugs were about 5'7" off the floor. It worked fine. I never "heard" it as elevated.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have the 708p sitting on stands right now, but they take up a lot of room and will fall over in a quake. I'd like to mount them on the wall...

So, a question from the short bus corner of the peanut gallery...

Any thoughts on whether having them (or the 705's) mounted with the horn down rather than up could be beneficial? Might give a better dispersion down into the room, and less reflections from ceiling depending on how close?

I'm planning to use the 705's as front and rear height speakers, and have been thinking upside down might make sense.

Something is telling me this might be in the dumb question category, but that's never stopped me before...

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
So, a question from the short bus corner of the peanut gallery...

Any thoughts on whether having them (or the 705's) mounted with the horn down rather than up could be beneficial? Might give a better dispersion down into the room, and less reflections from ceiling depending on how close?

I hope I am remembering this correctly, but hey, if Dr. Toole can mount a giant Revel floorstander upside down...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I hope I am remembering this correctly, but hey, if Dr. Toole can mount a giant Revel floorstander upside down...

Maybe I should try listening upside down...my kids wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe it'll become the new audiophile trend!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 708p sitting on stands right now, but they take up a lot of room and will fall over in a quake. I'd like to mount them on the wall, and I was thinking of mounting them up high to keep them well out of the way, angled downwards towards a seating position across the room. ~8 foot ceilings. ~14 feet to the seating position from the wall. Speakers spaces apart to make an equilateral triangle in a diagonal plane.

Bad idea? Good idea?
Can you put them on the floor now, angled up, then get your ears the same distance from the ceiling as they are when you listen, and see what you think?

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have no clue!

Can you put them on the floor now, angled up, then get your ears the same distance from the ceiling as they are when you listen, and see what you think?

Smart! I will try that. I could even REW it both upside down and right side up. Not sure how cooling would go in upside down though. The speakers do have mounting holes top and bottom, at least.

bogart

Forum Donor
@beefkabob - a year later, I'm curious what you ended up doing and your level of satisfaction with the results.

If you did go near-ceiling, I'm curious what you did for cable routing and power; I'm considering a powered monitor in near-ceiling configuration along these lines. One mark in favor of passive is fewer and less obtrusive wires that can hide a bit easier.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@beefkabob - a year later, I'm curious what you ended up doing and your level of satisfaction with the results.

If you did go near-ceiling, I'm curious what you did for cable routing and power; I'm considering a powered monitor in near-ceiling configuration along these lines. One mark in favor of passive is fewer and less obtrusive wires that can hide a bit easier.
I didn't. I do have a pipe to run wire to the back wall, but I haven't even used that yet. The speakers are on plain old stands, and I'm fine with that.

bogart

Forum Donor
I didn't. I do have a pipe to run wire to the back wall, but I haven't even used that yet. The speakers are on plain old stands, and I'm fine with that.
Nothing wrong with letting a good solution stand. Thanks for letting me know!

Top Bottom