• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cubicle panels to deaden room reflections?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some cubicle panels from my office, no longer in use. I was thinking of putting them against the walls in certain places to reduce reflections. Thoughts on this? Would it help any? I could even double up in some locations. It would still be a live room, thanks to all the hard furniture, but would they deaden things at all?

The room is 123" by 321" with the speakers on the long wall, not the best position but necessary for a big screen. I was going to add them as much as they'll squeeze into the two short walls. There are few or no placed I can fit them on the long walls, but I may be able to put a panel behind each speaker. Would that help too? They're all front-ported.

Katji

Major Contributor
They're not absorbent . ...unless you can take off the fabric and put acoustic foam or Rockwool inside ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you place ~2 panels behind your head on the back wall. That will help with imaging.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My view on absorption is that it’s better to treat with broadband absorbers or with nothing than with something that will only absorb the highest frequencies. I’m not sure what these things are made of, but I’d assume that it’s not 4” of rockwool?

Edit: obviously I meant 4”, not 4’ of rockwool :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do have some rockwool left over from insulation. I may use that for behind the listening position.

It will hurt to try since they're heavy as hell and I'll have to do some furniture moving to make it happen.

Katji

Major Contributor
So far i know, generally/typically some sort of fibreboard covered in typical/generic office chair fabric. Not worth trying. Also not worth adapting. Except for youtube DIY stories, most people who did it say [if i knew then what i know now] i would have bought them ready-made.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I don't think this is a great idea considering the amount of work involved and the likely underwhelming performance. .. then again if you have the time ...

Peace

Top Bottom