• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rare books

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just found a copy of Atomsk by Cordwainer Smith, aka Paul Linebarger. He's one of my absolute favorites, and one of the lesser known but great science fiction authors. I've wanted to read it for years, but all the copies were over $100. This one is part of some 4-books-in-1 series from the 60s, so it costs less, it would seem.

You got a white whale you're searching for?

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
This is going to be a great thread! Congrats on your find. After reading about him, I’m adding Cordwainer Smith to my reading list.

I would have had some white whales, but the catalog of Samuel Delany’s sci-if work has suddenly become available in reprint over the last couple years.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I just found a copy of Atomsk by Cordwainer Smith, aka Paul Linebarger. He's one of my absolute favorites, and one of the lesser known but great science fiction authors. I've wanted to read it for years, but all the copies were over $100. This one is part of some 4-books-in-1 series from the 60s, so it costs less, it would seem.

You got a white whale you're searching for?
I love his weird Instrumentality of mankind stories, but haven’t read any of his non-genre fiction.
I did read his seminal Psychological Warfare, very interesting, with some great examples from WWII. Read it via Project Gutenberg.
I’m sure you know that he might have been the basis for a celebrated case study of psychology, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Allen. It sounds like a story from his fiction. Or maybe from Philip K. Dick’s.

As for my white whale, a first edition Neuromancer please, but not at a thousand dollars plus plus. It had a huge effect on teenage me when it first came out. And if Folio Society ever did a version that would be an immediate purchase.

Top Bottom