Search results

1. bachatero

Give me a reason to keep using these balanced cables

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. A few days ago, I got some Kali LP-6v2s because they were the cheapest studio monitors that were just about perfectly flat without being junk, AKA the best value. They're sitting at my fancy desk setup right now which has an exorbitant amount of EMF...
  2. bachatero

FIR vs IIR filter audio quality

I'm using EasyEffects (audio effects software for Linux) to help get rid of a nasty room mode. However, when using a test tone to reproduce the mode, I noticed how the spectrum analyzer in EE shows a different result depending on whether you use FIR or IIR filters. IIR has a bunch of nasty...
  3. bachatero

Convert MiniDSP calibration data to regular EQ

I forgot to post this earlier, so here I go. Back when I got my MiniDSP UMIK-1 to calibrate my audio systems I had a little problem. I didn't want to fuss around with REW or pay big bucks for DIRAC to apply a calibration EQ preset, so I used the free and open source EasyEffects package for Linux...
  4. bachatero

A complete review of Antony Santos' 1992-2002 albums

I've noticed that bachata music has gotten almost no coverage anywhere, neither on the internet nor in conventional literature, despite being really popular among certain large demographics. So, I'm going to review the 11 albums that Antony Santos, a big bachata musician from the 90s, made from...
  5. bachatero

DAC performance of QCC5125 BT chipset

I recently got an LDAC Bluetooth receiver from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5X52XPZ Unfortunately, despite how popular the 1Miis are on AZ, only one model (not mine) has an ASR review. This receiver of mine uses a QCC5125 chip for everything. Also unfortunately, you can't easily find...
  6. bachatero

An ideal speaker's off-axis response

Does the "ideal" speaker have its volume reach a limit of 0 outside of its designed beamspread? Or does the "ideal" speaker emit sound omnidirectionally? I'd like to know because it seems like this is all over the map. Some speakers are pretty loud even behind them, while others might have huge...
  7. bachatero

Crosstalk measurements for DACs?

Why isn't stereo crosstalk measured for DACs? It looks like crosstalk might be a great test suite addition, considering how fine circuit board traces/components can get, and so it's possible that crosstalk on cheap devices can result in an audible result. Or maybe not? It's hard to know because...
  8. bachatero

LaTeX or math input

There are a few situations where it'd be awesome to have the ability to enter LaTeX or otherwise type in math equations and have them rendered in a pretty and correct way. Is this on the table for ASR?
  9. bachatero

Wall counterweight to reduce LF room mode

I'm working on my gym hifi's acoustics and I'm tackling the LF range. When its subwoofer makes sound, the gym's corrugated steel walls literally vibrate like a house in an earthquake. I know this is due to a room mode down in the low range (the space is a hundred feet wide), but covering...
  10. bachatero

Cheap and simple HT speakers?

My parents recently got a new house near the beach. I'm helping them make a nice and simple "home theater" setup with a projector, which I've always wanted since I was really little. Although this projector has speakers, they're not the best but actually not as bad as you might think. Check out...
  11. bachatero

Unusual room resonance frequency

A few months ago, I was playing around with a sine generator in my desktop audio setup and found that my bedroom has a huge resonance at almost exactly 129 Hz. I then applied the appropriate PEQ filter to bring it in line with nearby frequencies and that was that. For Christmas I got a UMIK-1...
  12. bachatero

Rugs

How many of us are interested in rugs as an acoustic improvement as well as a comfort booster? I scoured ASR's post history but couldn't find anything on rugs outside of a few mentions where the topic was basically... swept under the rug. According to the smoking gun article on room acoustics...
  13. bachatero

Generational losses

I'm interested in the idea of generational losses with regards to overall audio quality. I know Audiophiles (with a capital A) love to harp on tiny differences in THD, IMD, frequency response, and so on. However, it seems like if you have a lot of components with barely imperfect performance...
  14. bachatero

A simple inline DSP equalizer: is it possible?

Hi everyone, I'm stuck in a weird position with an audio setup of mine. I go to a gym which offers judo on a long foam mat, and we like to listen to music while practicing judo on it. On the other side of this mat is a fitness area of around the same size. Because I basically live for music, I...
Top Bottom