Search results

1. M

How to shield RCA to XLR cables from noise (auto power off on speakers won't work)

I had a pair of speakers with XLR inputs connected to my topping DX3pro DAC (RCA outputs). They sound great, but the issue is that the speakers have an auto power off, which won't work when connected to this DAC (even if the DAC is powered off/unplugged from power). Sometimes one speaker will...
  2. M

Genelec ISS (auto off)

Bought two 8030c speakers. Hooked them up to the same DAC, and turned the ISS switch to on both of them. When I turn off the DAC the little green light does off after a while on one of the speakers (indicating it's off), but not on the other speaker. The other speaker stays powered on, despite...
  3. M

RCA to XLR cables - quality and can you damage monitor?

I am looking at getting some speakers which only have XLR inputs, however my DAC has RCA out and not XLR (topping DX3 pro). I'd rather avoid buying a new DAC with XLR outputs, so a few questions: If I get a RCA to XLR male to male cable 1) Will the sound quality be significantly worse? 2) Can...
  4. M

KRK ROKIT 5 G4 vs Genelec 8030c - how much of a difference?

I listened to both of these in a store (1 m distance) and the genelec did sound a bit better, but the difference wasn't huge. The genelec definitely got louder though, which makes sense since it has twice the power. Is it just my imagination, or are both of these speakers quite similar, despite...
  5. M

Do the Genelec 8030c hiss?

I am close to buying a pair of Genelec 8030c speakers for desktop listening at an arm lengths distance. I listened to them, and a bunch of other monitors in store, and really liked them. However I've read some posts stating that they hiss if you aren't playing anything on them, and that the...
  6. M

Subjective desktop speaker impressions (not an audiophile)

So I have been trying to upgrade my desktop speakers setup and thought i'd share my subjective impressions, but i'm no audiophile. Current speakers audioengine a2: sound fine, but was looking for something better. Tried the following on my desk: yamaha nxn-500: these are my bookshelf...
  7. M

Kali IN-UNF or small premium monitors (genelec, neumann, focal)?

Just want to have a nice desktop setup to listen to music. From beethoven to biggie smalls to metallica, to bob dylan to the beatles. Have tried and am not impressed by iloud micro, audioengine a2, or kanto yu4. Was about to spend quite a bit of cash for either neumann Kh80, Genelec 8020 or...
  8. M

Desktop: Totem kin play mini vs Vanatoo Transparent 0 vs focal 40 or neumann KH 80

I know the kin play are speakers, while the focal and neumann are studio monitors. The kin play are about half the price of the other two. What would the kin play be like for a desktop music listening setup compared to the neumann or focal speakers? Also considering the Vanatoo, but it's...
  9. M

How do you tell from a frequency response if voice is emphasized (can you eq a pair of speakers to emphasize voice)?

It turns out I Like speakers which emphasize voice, and might not have a perfectly flat frequency response. How do you tell from a frequency response if voice is emphasized? What region should you look at and what dB value should you look for? I just noticed that in speakers with a more flat...
  10. M

How can I tell if a certain desktop speaker will emphasize voice?

I have the audioengine a2 speaker, and bought the iLoud micro speaker. I noticed that the audioengine a2 emphasizes voices way better in rock, pop and hip hop compared to other speakers like the iloud micro speakers, kanto yu4. Why does the audioengine a2 have the capability to emphasize voice...
  11. M

Desktop speakers: are you always aware the music is being produced by speakers, or can the speakers "disappear"

I have a set of yamaha NX-N500 speakers which I love. I have them on a book shelf about 6 feet apart and 6 feet away from me. To me, the Yamaha speakers make it sound like the music isn't coming from a speaker, but like the music is coming from a musician in the room with you (as long as you're...
  12. M

Good desktop speakers (haven't found anything I like)?

Trying to find a set of desk top speakers: I have audio engine a2 - they're fine, but nothing special. Bought and returned Kanto YU4 - they sounded better than the a2 in some respects, worse in others, about the same in others, wasn't blown away. Tried the iloud micro minis in store - sounded...
  13. M

Focal speakers vs active monitors

I went to a shop and really liked listening to the focal shape 40. Up to that point I hadn't even heard of focal before, but I really like the way the shape 40 sounds. However, the shape 40 is an active monitor and as far as I'm aware is really meant for music production, rather than listening...
  14. M

Can you use bookshelf speakers as nearfield desktop speakers? (yamaha nxn-500)

Can you use bookshelf speakers as nearfield desktop speakers? I have the yamaha nxn-500 bookshelf speakers and love them. I want to set them up as nearfield desktop speakers - about 3 feet away from me, and about a foot away from a wall. Any reason not to...
  15. M

Pricey new speakers don't sound good - what's the easiest way to find good eq?

My Kanto YU4 speakers don't sound great compared to my older, smaller, cheaper desktop speakers. Before I return them I want to try adjusting equalizer, but I am no audiophile. What's the easiest way to create or find eq settings? I don't want to spend a ton of time.
  16. M

Why do my audioengine A2 speakers sound better than my kanto YU4?

I've been using a set of audioengine A2 speakers connected to my laptop for years, and they sound good, but i decided i wanted an upgrade so I puchrased some much larger and more expensive kanto YU4 speakers. I have both speakers sitting on my desk. The audioengine are connected through USB...
  17. M

How to add bluetooth/wifi to powered non bluetooth speakers?

I have a pair of audioengine a2 speakers. I want to add blue tooth or wifi to them - how do I do this/what do I need to buy? Thanks.
  18. M

DX3 pro: How to output to speakers?

I have a topping DX3 pro - I've just used it to connect to my laptop via USB and then used the aux out on the front to connect it to headphones. Now I am getting a set of Kanto YU4 speakers which have RCA in and aux in on them. What's the bets way to connect the Kanto speakers to the DX 3 pro...
  19. M

Kanto YU4 speakers - best way to connect to laptop?

I have a laptop that I want to connect to Kanto yu 4 speakers (which are active speakers). The laptop has USB and aux out. The Kanto YU 4 have optical inputs, as well as aux. I already own a topping DX3 pro DAC/aheadphone amp unit which has aux out and is connected to my laptop. I am...
Top Bottom