• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good desktop speakers (haven't found anything I like)?

mrmojo

Trying to find a set of desk top speakers:

I have audio engine a2 - they're fine, but nothing special.

Bought and returned Kanto YU4 - they sounded better than the a2 in some respects, worse in others, about the same in others, wasn't blown away.

Tried the iloud micro minis in store - sounded about the same as my a2 speakers.

Put my bookshelf speakers (Which I love) the yamaha NXN-500 (equivalent of HS 5) on my desk - they sound fantastic as bookshelf speaker, but they don't sound as good when you're sitting really close to them (literally one arm lengths away) .

Now considering a couple of other options: the Vanatoo Transparent Zero speakers or set of studio monitors meant for near field listening. The issue with near field studio monitors, is that 1 arms length away might be too close for them to sound good. Not sure if the vanatoo speakers are as good as thei reputation, given my unimpressive experience with the equally praised kanto and a2.

Advice?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Reactions: 617

TitaniumTroy

This is what I use, but with two DWM woofer panels. From the folks at Magnepan, True Ribbon tweeter, planer bass, not to mention the whole system is dipole/open baffle. Will definitely give you a different kind of sound. The system does have maximum volume limitations, and depending on musical taste, you might need a good subwoofer. Except for the second DWM, I bought the system used and love it's open soundstage and high definition bass.

FYI, I use a Marantz HD-DAC1 headphone preamp, and Parasound A23 amp.

Last edited:

dorakeg

You can't simply expect brand new speakers out of the box to perform well. You need to at least use them for couple of days to run-in and things will improve.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Neumann KH80 is to me a perfect desktop speaker. And it has excellent mounting options to put right at ear height.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Waxx

Major Contributor
The smaller Neumann and Genelec are mostly fit for nearfield listening, just like the JBL 308P and the older JBL LRS308.

I would get the Neumann KH150 if i had the budget and did not build speakers myself. It's a lot more expensive and a bit bigger than the speakers you mention, but those are endgame nearfield bookshelf for me. Sitting on less than a 1m is no issue with those and they don't really need a sub, certainly not for nearfield listening. But the smaller ones are also good. They test also as top level: KH150 test

But the speakers i use myself are diy fullrange speakers with Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 drivers in an own design reflex with correction filters to make them more neutral, and they are great, going lower than most bookshelfs (F3 of 45hz) and with that flat cone and engineered phase plug build in the dispertion is actually exceptional good for the size of the driver. And because there is only one driver, there is no integration issue from the drivers when sitting very close to it. So maybe you need something that is also true point-source lke my diy speaker. Something like the Kef LS50 that has a dual concentric driver could maybe satisfy your wishes. But then you will need a subwoofer with it.

wacomme

A bit big, but I like the Kali LP-6 V2 monitors. Also nice are the Adam T5V monitors.

Top Bottom