Search results

1. N

Whole wall acoustic treatment with fluffy insulation.

I'm going to do my whole front wall in "fluffy" insulation. I recently looked up some material options at my local hardware store (Bunnings), and here are those specs; Edit: The only decent ones in stock today at my local are R3.5 ceiling batts, R2.0 wall batts, and R2.0 rolls. The wall batts...
  2. N

How I tag my library to make it useful for my needs

I've got quite a large music collection that's been growing for over 20 years, and it's been getting hard to keep it "useful" with regards to shuffling, but I think I've come up with a good system now. I use MusicBee to view and play my collection, and leverage it's "auto playlists" (filters)...
  3. N

Strange SBIR issue, because the frequency doesn't match anything

The other day I was testing the response of one of my speakers at different distances from the side wall. I've been looking at the results in different ways and thought to use FDW (frequency dependent window). The 2 and 3 cycle windows showed 2 specific nulls that steadily lowered in frequency...
  4. N

REW SPL plot can be a bit of a liar (is only correct for 1 cycle tone)

I was just reviewing my own speaker measurements, for my right speaker in particular, which happens to sit next to a window recess. I saw strange areas on the Decay plot that didn't align with room modes, like the 0/20/40ms slices being lower SPL than the 60+ms slices. So I picked one to...
  5. N

REW measurement makes an SPL graph and an IR. If I apply the IR to a 1 cycle tone or a long tone, the SPL is different. What gives?

As per title. When I export REW's measure in-room IR and convolve it with tones of the same frequency (Edit: Frequencies about a room mode in particular) but different length, the SPL increases. So my question is - is REW's SPL graph based upon either a "dirac impulse" or 1 cycle tone, OR the...
  6. N

What is the cause of this room null on Room Sim?

I can't work out what the cause of this null is on the REW Room Sim. I think it is something "room length" related, because absorption on the other surfaces doesn't affect it. As the screenshots show (taken from this thread/discussion), the frequency decreases as you move away from the back...
  7. N

Indent text button for the text editor toolbar

The button for indenting text appears to be missing from the current text toolbar, but indenting is still handled by the forum when manually writing the BBCode like this. I've got the habit from other forums of formatting text quoted from other webistes with an indent, like in the following...
  8. N

EQ'ing to Harman curve doesn't give me pleasing results - why not?

So I measured my speakers (Kali IN-8 V2) in room, with UMIK-1 located roughly in the middle of my head position, and with it orientated vertically and with 90° cal file applied. In REW I then applied a HPF to Harman room curve and EQ'd to that line, and the resulting measurement got much better...
  9. N

Subwoofer doesn't sound right at the high end (>50Hz)

My DIY subwoofer isn't sounding the best and I'm not sure what the problem is exactly (how to identify it via tests/measurements). The problem is in the higher bass region, above 50Hz, and is affected by where I set my DSP LPF. The problem is it has a sort of thump sound to it that doesn't sound...
  10. N

Noisy neighbours - could something like a "Double bass array" be used for active absorption?

This is just a thought experiment, but could something like the title be done? Could a microphone be set up some distance closer to the source (neighbours property) to record the incoming sound, and then processed through a device, and finally a cancellation tone be output on your own speakers...
  11. N

Make the stickied threads stand out

When browsing the forums, it would be nice if the stickied threads didn't blend in with the regular threads. This could be accomplished easily with a different background color, or if they were underlined or something, like this; It would be really awesome if they could be in a collapsible area...
  12. N

Fosi Audio BT30D

I was recently on the hunt for a simple 2 channel amplifier with some sort of subwoofer control for a 2.1 setup (the subwoofer in question only has an LFE input). I decided to buy a Fosi Audio BT30D - the original version, not the 2nd "Pro" version. The newer Pro seems to have better amplifier...
  13. N

Centre speaker in mono for TV viewing, will it be any good?

I'm not a big movie watcher and don't feel the need to have a home theatre system (even when I used to have a stereo with 3 way floor standers connected to my TV and HTPC, I never used it for anything but listening to music), but I wouldn't mind a bit better audio than the TV puts out. I saw the...
  14. N

Could a stereo make the roof fall down?

I have been wondering about this question for a while. Perhaps it has been answered before, or maybe there is an engineer here that could work out the answer? Because where I live it is common to have brick houses with timber roofs, but when the span gets too long they used a steel beam for...
  15. N

PreSonus Studio 68c for 2.1 listening - a painful experience

I have been using the aforementioned device for a couple of months. I got it because it was the cheapest device with decent specs (on paper) that also ticked the following boxes; Has 3 or 4 discrete channel outputs that I could use for a 2.1 setup Has balanced outputs, because my sub is...
  16. N

Best way to connect "Pro" interface to "Consumer" sub

I have Kali IN-8 and a DIY subwoofer with RCA inputs only. My only source is PC, and I do DSP on it, so it needs to output 3 or 4 channels (a pair for the speakers, and 1 or 2 for sub). From using gear I had on hand (eg Topping DX3 Pro+) I realised I need balanced connections to the speakers to...
Top Bottom