Search results

1. M

15" woofer replacement for Revel Ultima Sub30

Finally get around to do this (I have other sub and this is a spare). The problem is the amp. Contact Revel, they no longer support this. So I am tempted to just get an external amp to drive it for experiment. Does anyone have good recommendation for goog/cheap subwoofer amp? Class D is good...
  2. M

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

I would add B&W 800D3 or 801D4 on the list if you are listening to classical music and wants to have good soundstage. In my personal audition, they are better than KEF, Magico and Revel.
  3. M

Marantz AV7705 Review (AV Processor)

Since then, I have bought several more pre-amp LA4, Topping Pre90, newer Levinson 536 and add a pair of 800D3 speakers and found a few new hi-res songs and SACDs. I still keep the AV7706 as a pre-pro to listen to Atmos BD/4k movies. I did numerous stereo music blind test experiment with: AV7706...
  4. M

Is the Benchmark AHB2, in mono mode, really better than my Mark Levinson No. 536 monoblocks?

It depends on how critical you are and "what" you looking for. To get the audible benefits of the classic class AB amp, it will have to come from its advantage of "faster response, higher reserve" power supply. Any lower end class AB with small power supply will not show the full advantage of...
  5. M

Benchmark LA4 vs Topping Pre90 - Listening impression

After long term listening, I keep the LA4 and sold the Topping Pre-90.
  6. M

Is the Benchmark AHB2, in mono mode, really better than my Mark Levinson No. 536 monoblocks?

Now that I have both AHB2 and ML 536s. I use the AHB2 for lower end speakers room setup and for space efficient. AHB2 great value and good performing , better than Class D M33 in my opinion but ML536 is another higher level of dynamic performance especially when playing SACD or high resolution...
  7. M

B&W 800D3 HiFi Speaker = Porsche GT3 Sport Car

I will check this out...thanks for the tip.
  8. M

Not yet...it looks badass. I listened to the smaller Klipsch Cornwall . It is very efficient, but lack dynamic (when playing classical music) and the horn tweeter characteristic is an acquired taste.
  9. M

I was looking to upgrade my HiFi speakers, so been doing a few auditions /evaluations on Magico A5/S5/M2 , Focal Maestro Utopia, B&W 800D3 (while waiting to get a chance to hear 801D4). It seems to me that the B&W 800D3 as Hi Fi Speakers is like Porsche GT3 as Sport Car. It is not the most...
  10. M

Benchmark LA4 vs Topping Pre90 - Listening impression

I have Benchmark LA4 and a friend brought his Topping Pre90 to experiment in one of my room setup. We compared two use cases : 1) Direct stereo pre-amp 2) Front only pass thru from a multichannel Pre-pro Direct Stereo compare: Oppo 105D XLR out --> LA4 ---> Mark Levinson 536 / 802D3...
  11. M

PS Audio P12 Review Part 2: Power Testing

Your assertion that additional devices between wall outlet and your amplifier will "bottleneck" the raw power available seems to align with the product manual of Mark Levinson No 33 , which stated : "In recent years, the detrimental sonic effects of noisy, unbalanced AC mains supplies have...
  12. M

PS Audio P12 Review Part 2: Power Testing

I am new and learning a lot from this thread. Is it correct to extend the conclusion that direct AC outlet is better than adding any "active power conditioning" or even "basic surge protector power strip" in the between the amp and AC outlet ? I have Mark Levinson 333 directly connected to AC...
  13. M

15" woofer replacement for Revel Ultima Sub30

Thanks...Please IM me for how much you want for it shipped. I have set aside this sub in storage , not really sure if I want to keep it as a lot of people either recommend the new REL
  14. M

Amplifier comparison: March Audio P452 (Purifi 1ET400A) vs Buckeye Hypex NC502MP vs AIYIMA A07 (TPA3255) vs Onkyo TX-NR737 (125W Class AB)

I am new in this journey of acquiring more amplifiers and speakers. I usually shop based on just measurement. Recently I have been listening more to different equipment and notice that there are several "audible" sonic quality that does not yet have measurement metric to explain. For example...
  15. M

Amplifier comparison: March Audio P452 (Purifi 1ET400A) vs Buckeye Hypex NC502MP vs AIYIMA A07 (TPA3255) vs Onkyo TX-NR737 (125W Class AB)

When connected to these highly resolving speakers such as B&W 802D3 and Revel Ultima, the amplifiers "sounds" different even at moderate volume (80dBA). So when we say the amps measured the same under optimal zone and therefore should sound the same but they are not with these speakers. Is that...
  16. M

From my personal journey , the audible differences can only be audible with highly resolving speakers and with "listening' (not just measuring knowns metric, I had compare amplifiers that I could not hear the difference when they are driving my Logan bookshelf speakers but can clearly hear the...
  17. M

XLR metal vs plastic connector shell - should pin 1 be connected to metal shell?

Recently I have acquired new amps and speakers that are more resolving so I started to experiment with different XLR cables. One of my XLR cables is the monoprice Premiers series with metal connector shell. I came across this article that reviewed this cable and recommended that Pin 1 jumper be...
  18. M

Benchmark AHB2 / Class D Purifi Eigentakt / Mark Levinson 333 - Listening impression & Conclusion

Until recently I did not have the opportunity to have multiple amps and speakers. With my older speakers, I could not tell the sound quality / presentation differences with these amplifiers. However, with current 802D3 speakers , the amps under comparison are audibly distinguishable (amps were...
  19. M

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

I like this summary and think it explains a lot about speakers Since not every person ears has the same dBA weighted frequency response, what is neutral on measurement may not be neutral to someone ears. So the directivity and response plot are good indicators but not the overall story...
  20. M

How do you know whether you have resolving speakers?

Recently I started to collect more speakers and amplifiers. For many years, I have the opinion that amplifiers sounds the same (as long as they are driven too hard), DAC and cable interconnects sounds the same as long as they are decent quality. I had compared my legacy Denon AVR 5808 Receiver...
Top Bottom