Search results

1. curiouspeter

Should I get GAIA feet for my LS50 Metas to minimize noise transmission?

We have downstairs neighbors but no one ever complained. However, I want to minimize vibration just in case. Currently, the speakers are on the matching S2 stands on spikes and discs. We have engineered wood floors with sound-absorbing underlayment. Should I get some GAIA feet to improve...
  2. curiouspeter

Best way to add a center channel

What is the recommended way to add a center channel to an existing 2.0 system connected to a TV through HDMI ARC? My amp has HT passthrough. However, it seems excessive to get a 7.1 AVR with pre-out (it probably won't fit into my cabinet) just to add one channel. Is there something like an...
  3. curiouspeter

Why are there so few omnidirectional speakers?

I get that omnidirectional drivers are harder to design and room interaction could be interesting, but it should be relatively cheap to develop speakers using many Class D amplified mini drivers and digital room correction. It will be just like a soundbar morphed into a ball. The $1000 price...
  4. curiouspeter

Audiophiles are those who solve non-problems with too much money

Is this a fair statement? I have nothing against people who spend money on the economy. People buy $200K mechanical watches when the clock on a cheap Android phone is much more accurate. A tourbillon solves a non-problem, but it is very cool to look at.
  5. curiouspeter

LS50 Meta + TDAI 1120 is the perfect combo for urban homes

My living area, not including the open kitchen, is about 11 feet by 19 feet. The LS50 Meta's driven by the TDAI have no problem filling the room, even though I do not have a subwoofer. Overall, I am quite happy with the clarity of the speakers. However, I am especially surprised by the amount...
  6. curiouspeter

Why there are so few passive speakers with user-supplied DSP crossovers?

Audiophiles will like it because they get to buy new multi-channel processors, more power amplifiers, and more cables. More importantly, they can play around with different settings every day and compete for having the most golden ears. Audio companies will love this because they get to sell...
  7. curiouspeter

It is no longer unwise to spend more on an amplifier

The conventional wisdom is that one should spend more on speakers than on the amplifier. The reason is that the next extra dollar can buy more improvement in the speakers than in the amplifier. I am sure this is true in many cases. Going from $10K to $100K, one can probably can more bang for the...
  8. curiouspeter

Cannot live without digital room correction now

I do not know how I was able to tolerate the lack of DRC before, but after REW/Roon DSP and now RoomPerfect I cannot imagine not having it. DRC should be a standard feature in all DACs or integrated amplifiers. It is just software with zero marginal cost (only R&D). If enough people pay for it...
  9. curiouspeter

Should I remove the foam plugs before running room correction?

My LS50 Meta's are placed only a few inches from the wall and I have the foam plugs in the rear ports. I got a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 and ran RoomPerfect. The result has been pretty good. I do notice a boost in the bass level. Should I re-run RoomPerrfect with the foam plugs removed? Thanks.
  10. curiouspeter

Powernode N330 underwhelming with LS50 Meta

I don't know if this was due to poor room acoustics but my pair of LS50 Meta's sounded muffled with the Powernode N330. I got the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 and I immediately noticed an improvement in clarity. After setting up RoomPerfect, they sounded even better. Perhaps the LS50 Meta's are too...
  11. curiouspeter

Is it worth getting a room-correcting subwoofer to fix a room mode at 50 Hz?

I have the LS50 Meta with the 2021 Powernode. There is a bad room mode at 50 Hz. For music, I currently use PEQ in Roon to fix the problem. However, sound coming from the TV is uncorrected and dialogs are muddled. Should I get a subwoofer with EQ to fix this problem instead? I do not love...
  12. curiouspeter

Two and a half systems later... What did I learn?

I started with a surround system with 2 Sonos Amps, a pair of PSB Alpha T20, and ceiling speakers. Then I wanted "hi-res" with Roon so I added a Gustard X16, a Raspberry Pi, and a Teac AX-505, which shares the T20s with the Sonos using a speaker-level switch. Later, for another home, I decided...
  13. curiouspeter

KEF LS50 Meta Frequency Response at 50 Hz

I hooked up my LS50 Meta and ran REW. There is a large spike at 50 Hz which I believe is related to the port. What is the best way to fix this? Currently, I use Roon PEQ with -12 db at 50 Hz with Q=4.5. This works well for Roon content but not for TV and movies. My speakers are 20 cm away from...
  14. curiouspeter

NAD C 700 BluOS Streaming Amplifier

It looks like an M10 Lite, without most features that make the M10 special (e.g. Dirac, Touchscreen). Does it even bring much to the table over the 2021 Bluesound Powernode?
  15. curiouspeter

Should I get a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 or "borrow" a Teac AX-505 + Gustard X16 setup?

I currently have a dual Sonos AMPs surround setup and an AX-505/X16 setup sharing the front speakers (PSB T20). For another location, I can either "appropriate" the AX-505/X16 for the LS50 Meta or I can get a Lyngdorf. Obviously, reusing the old components will save some money. It can also...
  16. curiouspeter

Is the DAC inside the new Bluesound Node (N130) audibly bad?

Will there be any audible differences among the following combinations? Roon -> Ethernet -> Node -> SE -> AX-505 -> LS50 Meta Roon -> Ethernet -> Node -> SPDIF -> X16 -> XLR -> AX-505 -> LS50 Meta Roon -> Ethernet -> Ropieee -> USB -> X16 -> XLR -> AX505 -> LS50 Meta
  17. curiouspeter

Teac AX-505 standby mode

The standby behavior of this amp is most annoying. It goes to sleep after 30 minutes, which is good. However, it will not wake up automatically. I have to push a button or turn a knob on the unit or the remote. Should I just disable the auto sleep? How much energy does standby save? What about...
  18. curiouspeter

There should be more room-correcting network amplifiers like the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 and the NAD M10

These "lifestyle" amplifiers integrate nicely with the TV using HDMI. Also, room correction with RoomPerfect and Dirac can produce audible improvements. Being able to work with Roon seamlessly is a big plus. A one-box solution is friendly to smaller homes in Europe, Asia, and increasingly, US...
  19. curiouspeter

Is it an issue if I have to move one of the speakers often?

I am planning to place one of the speakers near the air inlet of the HVAC. I will need to move the speakers every few months to replace the air filter. Is this a common situation? Will this degrade performance in any way?
  20. curiouspeter

Best case for Pi 4 with touchscreen

There are a few options for Pi 4 and the official 7 inch touchscreen but they are all plastic and without a heatsink. I am a bit concerned about it overheating while running Ropieee. Is there one with adequate cooling without a noisy fan? Thanks!
Top Bottom