• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Frequency Response at 50 Hz

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hooked up my LS50 Meta and ran REW. There is a large spike at 50 Hz which I believe is related to the port.

What is the best way to fix this? Currently, I use Roon PEQ with -12 db at 50 Hz with Q=4.5. This works well for Roon content but not for TV and movies.

My speakers are 20 cm away from the wall. I am using the partial foam plugs per instructions.

dfuller

Major Contributor
That sounds more like modal interference (i.e., your room) than the speakers themselves.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try the full foam plugs and see what happens or try a different distance from the wall if possible. It's no shame to use EQ. If it works be happy.

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

Try the full foam plugs and see what happens or try a different distance from the wall if possible. It's no shame to use EQ. If it works be happy.
I can try the full plugs. EQ works only for Roon. TV dialogs are a bit muddled.

I used to place them 30 cm from the wall but it sounded dead. Perhaps it was in the dead zone.

I cannot place them any further away.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The port peaks around 50 hz, maybe a few higher. If you have a mode there then the response deviation is going to be large, and it is. I presently have my LS50's close to the wall as you do. My room problems are higher up. Room problems are like relatives. We all have some we cant get rid of.

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

It turns out I have a rather nasty room mode at 50 Hz. Using the "full" foam plugs helps A LOT. Without them, I would need a 17 db cut at 50 Hz. With them, a 9 db cut is sufficient.

Are there better foam plugs I can get for the LS50? Can I even buy replacements?

Weeb Labs

Top Bottom