• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cannot live without digital room correction now

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not know how I was able to tolerate the lack of DRC before, but after REW/Roon DSP and now RoomPerfect I cannot imagine not having it.

DRC should be a standard feature in all DACs or integrated amplifiers. It is just software with zero marginal cost (only R&D). If enough people pay for it, the cost can come down dramatically.

Frankly, I did not love doing room correction with REW. It was just too tedious. The current premium of having a built-in DRC is around $1000-1500 at the entry-level. I think it is worthwhile. Any system that costs $3000 and up should have it. Hopefully, the cost can come down so more people can enjoy this wonder.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Few rooms are so acoustically perfect that the bass is flawless. Even with considerable amounts of room treatment, I still EQ a couple low frequency modes. Helps immensely. Like you say, I couldn't live without it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I do not know how I was able to tolerate the lack of DRC before, but after REW/Roon DSP and now RoomPerfect I cannot imagine not having it.

DRC should be a standard feature in all DACs or integrated amplifiers. It is just software with zero marginal cost (only R&D). If enough people pay for it, the cost can come down dramatically.

Frankly, I did not love doing room correction with REW. It was just too tedious. The current premium of having a built-in DRC is around $1000-1500 at the entry-level. I think it is worthwhile. Any system that costs $3000 and up should have it. Hopefully, the cost can come down so more people can enjoy this wonder.
Mostly agreed.
But really good DRC takes a lot of R&D time. Specially one that contains enough automation that it doesn't send the average guy running-screaming from the set-up instructions. (thinking current TOTL levels of Audyssey & Dirac) All that is expensive to produce.
The times they are a-changin. ;)

FeddyLost

Good automated DRC (especially multi-sub capable) is very expensive in terms of R&D.
One need very big market to keep price sane.

diablo

Forum Donor
I put in Dirac for the two tower speakers either side of my lounge TV. Wasn't sure if I liked it so took it out. Then realised how much worse it was without! Especially for dialogue. So put it back. :D

Still usually prefer my REW 'Auto EQ' settings for music though. :)

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

Good automated DRC (especially multi-sub capable) is very expensive in terms of R&D.
One need very big market to keep price sane.
Lyngdorf is able to put that in a $2500 product. They will even include a very nice calibrated microphone and a tripod in the package!

After running RP, which booster bass a bit, I was surprised how much bass I needed to cut for regular dialog-heavy TV shows in the EQ.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Lyngdorf is able to put that in a $2500 product. They will even include a very nice calibrated microphone and a tripod in the package!
I think they're supporting that with their $10k and $15k multich processors. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are support groups, some even covered by health care plans, just contact the number below
1-800-AreYouFuckingKidding?

dougi

I think they're supporting that with their $10k and $15k multich processors. ;)
Well I helped out to amortize costs earlier on as I still have their DPA-1 digital preamp with room perfect. Just retired in favour of MiniDSP Flex with DIRAC.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Well I helped out to amortize costs earlier on as I still have their DPA-1 digital preamp with room perfect. Just retired in favour of MiniDSP Flex with DIRAC.
Any impressions on Dirac vs RP?

dougi

Any impressions on Dirac vs RP?
For me Dirac sounds better. More focused images. Whether that is due to the phase correction, who knows. Impulse responses are definitely improved. I ran both in digital domain only with same DAC.

DavidMcRoy

If a subjectivist tried using DSP, he might be a little disappointed, because it makes it possible to make two rather different speakers sound very similar. Takes all the fun out of fretting over differences.

hemiutut

If a subjectivist tried using DSP, he might be a little disappointed, because it makes it possible to make two rather different speakers sound very similar. Takes all the fun out of fretting over differences.
tumblr_p4tlyg6lTn1tzl6efo1_500.gif

It would be nice to be able to listen to a double blind test matching with DSP the same frequency response between a Mackie MR824 type monitor vs monitors 10 times or more in terms of prices.

Written with translator.

Greetings

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I think many people can afford DSP via Roon, if they already are in the group that waste/spend money on Hifi. Then the DSP is included , not the best, but way better than nothing at all. Everyone with Roon should investigate the DSP. My system sounds problematic without DSP and good with. Before I had DSP I had too much bass with some speakers and too little with others. Very happy with my DSP, and I heard Lyngdorf do a good job too, and Dirac is surely good, Audiolence may be the best, but I do not like to fiddle with PC and HiFi

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think many people can afford DSP via Roon, if they already are in the group that waste/spend money on Hifi. Then the DSP is included , not the best, but way better than nothing at all. Everyone with Roon should investigate the DSP. My system sounds problematic without DSP and good with. Before I had DSP I had too much bass with some speakers and too little with others. Very happy with my DSP, and I heard Lyngdorf do a good job too, and Dirac is surely good, Audiolence may be the best, but I do not like to fiddle with PC and HiFi
It is the best as it allows you absolute freedom. Almost every other Hardware EQ is limited in one way or another.

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

Roon DRC through DSP or PEQ is fine. However, the process is too tedious (the PEQ process is a little bit easier). If you go the full DSP route you will need a beefy Ron server.

However, you cannot use Roon to correct non-Roon sources, like TV or Spotify.

Top Bottom