Search results

1. S

Beautiful DACs

I know I know, all dacs sound the same :-) But if you’re looking for a nice looking dac that would complement an expensive hifi setup (both aestetically and sonically, i.e. measures well), what would you choose? At the moment I find the Holo Spring 3 the most beautiful DAC on the block, but what...
  2. S

Dac with tone control

I don’t know what it is about DACs, but they somehow have this attraction to me. The controversy, the hunt for the perfect SINAD, the technology. Anyhow, at the moment there’s the RME-ADI that has me interested in switching from Topping. Why is this? The Eq. It’s a very pro-looking device...
  3. S

Sub makes loud blow when powering on the amp

I don’t know if this is the correct place in the forum to ask but here goes. I’ve just added a subwoofer to my hifi system. It’s an SVS SB-2000 Pro to complement the Klipsch Heresy IV’s and I’m quite thrilled with it. As I understood it has an auto-on feature, so I leave it on all the time. But...
  4. S

New Volumio is paid?

I was a happy RPi Volumio listener until today. I thought it was a wise desicion to update the software so I did. Guess what, Spotify suddenly didn’t recognise Volumio anymore, what could be wrong? Turned out I have to pay now to install plugins? Wtf Volumio? Tonight I’ll see if I can downgrade...
  5. S

Directional interconnects

With great interest I read the “Snake Oil Top This” thread on this forum. I was wondering, are these interconnects with arrows on them, i.e. directional RCA interconnects, in fact snake oil or is there more to them? I’ve read contradicting stories. Some say the cables have shielding that’s...
  6. S

Thank you ASR for preventing me buying…

Once every so much time I seem to get drawn very close to the rabbithole. Somehow I manage to think that buying certain stuff will make my audio gear sound better. But luckily there is ASR! Whenever I’m about to buy into stupid stuff, I turn to this forum to get both feet on the ground again...
  7. S

Measuring clean power

Hi, newbie question here... there’s a lot of discussion involving the use of Switching Power Supplies or Linear Power Supplies. So I’d like to measure what exactly the difference is between them. But where do I begin? So I want to see with my own eyes purely the difference between what they...
  8. S

Very low hum in tube amp

Hi, I have this Line Magnetic tube amp. It has a switch for output to speakers or output to headphones. If I choose headphones, there’s a clearly audible hum going on. I think it’s a 50hz hum, it sounds low. Is this normal for tube amps? It doesn’t have a grounded power cable or anything so it...
  9. S

Raspberry Pi USB : noisy?

I heard from a famous audiophile youtuber today, that the audio USB output of the Raspberry Pi is very noisy. I was a bit disappointed at first because this is exactly what I use to stream my music. But then I thought well I can’t hear any noise so why worry, right? But now there’s this voice...
  10. S

Power Conditioners: Why different inputs?

I have this Dynavox X7000 power conditioner and it has 6 inputs. Four of them are filtered the manual says, two are unfiltered. The analogue devices need to go in the unfiltered, the digital devices (cd player, dac etc) need to go in the filtered. Can anyone explain why this is? I thought it...
  11. S

Toslink / Coax in, USB out?

I have two beautiful pieces of hardware here with a DAC in it. Problem is that the DAC is USB only. Is there anything on the market that would turn for example toslink into USB? I was thinking maybe the Auralic Mini but that seems to have disappeared from the Earth's soil... I was reading that...
  12. S

Difference in DAC sound desirable?

There's a lot of discussion going on about whether or not DACs all sound the same if they were optimally implemented. Still there are lots of people who think otherwise. I was just wondering how that could be? I don't have a lot of reference material myself but I can hardly hear the difference...
  13. S

Building HEOS-proof music collection

I need your advice on building my FLAC music collection. I want to copy all of my cd's to a NAS and play them from the HEOS app (I guess this is DLNA?). I've noticed that I already got in trouble with some cd's, especially compilations. For example, I copied a disc named Deep Soul Treasures...
  14. S

Spikes under amp: measurable?

Hi sometimes I read about people putting acoustic feet or spikes under amplifiers. Or putting the stuff on wooden boards and stuff. Is that really beneficial for sound or is that one big psychological thing? Has anyone cared to measure such things?
Top Bottom