Search results

1. S

New DAC to mate with my new WiiM streamer

I purchased the WiiM streamer to replace a Sonos Port in my main "big rig" hifi system. I am using Amazon music as my main streaming. I would like to buy a new inexpensive DAC which I would connect via Toslink. I really have no need for USB. The DAC would then be connected via RCA outs to my...
  2. S

Help me get my head around this please.....

Although I am now a senior and have enjoyed this hobby for 50 years+, I am having trouble with the following. Maybe some of the scientists/engineers can help: Example: Let's pretend that Amir tests 2 DACs: Both DACs measure exactly the same. DAC A cost $200 and DAC B cost $20,000. Will both DACs...
  3. S

My son bought a cassette deck!

I was a teenager in the 1970's and if you borrowed a friend's album (nobody referred to them as vinyl is those days) and wanted a copy, you recorded the album to a cassette: "Is it Live or is it Memorex" - who can forget that teaser on the TV commercial! My son is now 30 and he actually bought...
  4. S

Questions about digitizing vinyl

I am thinking about digitizing my vinyl collection. I know it is an arduous task but I am retired so I have time! I will be using a Windows 10 PC. Here are my questions: Which bit/sample rate should I choose? Is 16/44/1 (or 48) sufficient or should I choose 24/96 (or 192)? WAV or FLAC or...
  5. S

USB-C Dongle for Ipad Air

I am new to this kind of thing. I will be receiving a new Ipad Air in the near future and I am not interested in the wireless Airpods. Is there a particular recommended USB-C dongle that I can buy so that I can plug in my 3.5mm earphones? I know Apple makes a dongle but I am just wondering if...
  6. S

UAPP app for my phone.

Excuse my complete ignorance about this: My phone is an LG V30. I connected the headphone jack to my integrated amp via a 3.mm to RCA cable. The sound through my main speakers is excellent. I stream music with Deezer HIFI (16/44.1). UAPP: USB Audio Player Pro - would installing this on my phone...
  7. S

Shout out to JDS Labs

I have an Element Amp that I bought new in 2015. I bought it just when the product was released so it must be one of the first built. A few weeks ago I noticed a constant ticking noise which was most audible at lower volumes - which makes sense because the ticking was absorbed at higher volumes...
  8. S

Active speaker manufacturer in NY State

I still own a pair of Meadowlark Shearwater HotRods which I now use as surround speakers in my home theater. Meadowlark speakers built quite a reputation for high quality sound in the 1990's and 2000's and then went out of business. It seems that the owner, Pat McGinty, is back! Here are a few...
  9. S

What is High-end Audio??

Interesting question that Paul McGowan has some difficulty answering: So - how about some of ASR members chiming in: What is High-end Audio????
  10. S

Need recommendation for micro bookshelf speaker

I am hoping that some o the speaker experts would have some ideas about the following scenario: In my Family Room - 14.5'W x 18.5'L x 8'H - I have an AV unit in front of the TV. On either end of the unit there is a small door with mesh grills on the door. Behind each door there is a room for a...
  11. S

Streaming music question

There is much information online about music streaming. I would like to describe my wireless method of streaming: My personal CD collection has been ripped to a Vortexbox. I use Deezer as a streaming service. I have Sonos speakers and also Sonos Connect and Amp where I use my own amps or...
  12. S

I really want to know and learn....

The sub headline of this Audio Newbie forum states: "No question is too trivial. So don't be shy ". Ok, so here goes: I love reading Amir's testing results on various products. What I am trying to learn is what can a newbie conclude from these results? What I mean is this: let's say that a...
  13. S

Digitizing Vinyl

I watched a Youtube video of a seminar that was held at Axpona 2017. One of the panelists - an audio recording engineer - made a comment that I find very interesting. He explained that when a vinyl record is converted to digital, that the digitized copy when streamed will sound better than the...
  14. S

Toslink cables

There are Toslink cables that are made of plastic that you can buy on Monoprice for $5.00 There are Toslink cables that are made with 400 strands of glass that can cost $200.00+ Will it matter from a sound quality perspective?
  15. S

General question about a DAC

The measurements that Amir had made on Topping products (D30, D50, etc) have shown that these products are scientifically very sound (pardon the pun). Help me out here: so if a D30 which sells for around $130.00 with superb numbers, does that mean that if a $10,000 DAC had the same great...
  16. S

Vinyl record clamp

The teaser line for this sub-forum is that no question is too trivial - so here is one that is bugging me: I have never used a record clamp on my turntable. Is there an actual true benefit to securing the vinyl to the platter or is it completely a waste of money? I am asking about any sonic...
  17. S

Mechanical Isolation Devices: Myth?

There are so many products on the market that promise to improve sound quality by placing small vibration absorbing devices under components. Products like racing cones, sorbothane, springs, etc Common sense dictates that the following devices would/could benefit from isolating vibration...
  18. S

Turntable woes

My son has a Project turntable. He lives in a 3 story old house on a busy city street. He lives on the 3rd floor in a converted attic. Even though he is on the highest floor, everytime a city bus or truck drives by his window the torearm skips! The floor is hardwood. The table has been setup and...
  19. S

Photography question for Amir

Amir: I need to send some close up pictures of the inside of an amplifier to a technician. I am using a cell phone - android. My pictures are terribly out if focus. Your pictures are always so sharp. How do you achieve this?
  20. S

Is jitter audible?

I have been reading some comments online where several audio experts have suggested that jitter is not audible. Is this actually correct?
Top Bottom