• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New DAC to mate with my new WiiM streamer

Spirit84

I purchased the WiiM streamer to replace a Sonos Port in my main "big rig" hifi system.
I am using Amazon music as my main streaming.
I would like to buy a new inexpensive DAC which I would connect via Toslink.
I really have no need for USB.
The DAC would then be connected via RCA outs to my preamp.
I am thinking of the Topping E30.
Just curious what you experts think of my choice or if there is another unit that would be better please suggest.

jae

Major Contributor
Yes, any modern entry-level Topping DAC will be a good choice and suit your needs well. If you want to ever wanted to use headphones to listen you could consider getting an EX5 or DX5 which has the same functionality with a headphone amplifier and also has built-in power supply and the more convenient XLR connectors for balanced if you ever wanted to use them in the future.

RndJeff

Since you are using a preamp and presumably don’t need a remote or volume control, the Atom DAC+ from JDS Labs could be a really nice choice.

OP
S

Spirit84

Thanks guys for your response. I don't need a headphone amp nor do I need a remote or volume control. So I guewss the E30 or the Atom+ will do the trick. Any suggestions as to how to choose? Or either one will be basically transparent.

RndJeff

Either one is basically transparent like you say. You could choose via esthetics or practical reasons like ease of return or warranty depending on where you live.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there much of an audible difference between using the Topping E30 and the Wiim's own DAC?
Wiim's noise floor becomes a problem if you drive sensitive active speakers or similar directly. If you use Wiim's DAC at line level (at full volume or close to it) and include a separate preamp to control volume, Wiim's DAC should be enough. E30 has such low noise that it can drive most active speakers while controlling volume digitally.

Last edited:

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have also sonos and a topping E30 DAC (is very good IMHO) that I use to connect other devices, but I have an old (very) Sonos connect only (no amp) that I want to replace, so how do you find the Wiim in comparison to the Sonos I was thinking of the Port, but is too expensive.
I have one of this WD cloud drives, I think only supports smb protocol, nor DLNa for sure, can you use that with the wiim?

mediocrebutarrogant

I purchased the WiiM streamer to replace a Sonos Port in my main "big rig" hifi system.
I am using Amazon music as my main streaming.
I would like to buy a new inexpensive DAC which I would connect via Toslink.
I really have no need for USB.
The DAC would then be connected via RCA outs to my preamp.
I am thinking of the Topping E30.
Just curious what you experts think of my choice or if there is another unit that would be better please suggest.
Over optical best result I’m getting is 24 bit 96 and not 192 so ok for casual listening only

DantonIzzo

I use it with my Topping DX3 Pro+, but I need the headphone amp. However, if I needed a dac only, I think I would go with JDS Atom+ over the E30, for no other reason than the fact that I like JDS as a company.

wacomme

What about the Qudelix 5K as the dac (would need a RCA to USB adapter)? The dac is decent, but what really shines is the EQ.

wacomme

I'm struggling trying to find an answer to this question:

I listen to music at work through my iPhone (restricted internet at work to allow for streaming music via work PC) using a camera adapter to Qudelix 5K (lossless) to Senn 560s. The connection and streaming music works well, but I'm worried the lightening connection to my phone will wear and eventually not work. I want to go wireless without bluetooth. Is this possible with the Wiim streamer? If so, how?

DantonIzzo

I'm struggling trying to find an answer to this question:

I listen to music at work through my iPhone (restricted internet at work to allow for streaming music via work PC) using a camera adapter to Qudelix 5K (lossless) to Senn 560s. The connection and streaming music works well, but I'm worried the lightening connection to my phone will wear and eventually not work. I want to go wireless without bluetooth. Is this possible with the Wiim streamer? If so, how?
No, this is not possible.

Top Bottom