• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming music question

Spirit84

There is much information online about music streaming.
I would like to describe my wireless method of streaming:
My personal CD collection has been ripped to a Vortexbox.
I use Deezer as a streaming service.
I have Sonos speakers and also Sonos Connect and Amp where I use my own amps or speakers.
Is there anything that I am missing that would be upgrade to what I have or have I been on the right track so far.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have the Premium service for Deezer? If so, you are getting CD quality streaming. Otherwise it is lossy.

From experience point of view, I like Tidal due to its tight integration in Roon media player I use. I can search for anything and see hits in both my own library and Tidal. And play either with the exact same interface.

OP
S

Spirit84

Thanks for the reply Amir!
Yes I have the premium Deezer service.
So maybe you can help me with this: The Vortexbox that I have is an actual separate device that I purchased a number of years ago.
I insert a CD, it does its thing and the library on the harddrive can be accessed on my Sonos interface.
The one thing that it can't do is have Roon.
Can you think of a way that I could integrate Roon in my system as I described. I assume that Tidal integrates with Roon and Deezer doesn't??
Sorry for the simple questions - but this is the newbie forum!!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Vortexbox that I have is an actual separate device that I purchased a number of years ago.
I insert a CD, it does its thing and the library on the harddrive can be accessed on my Sonos interface.
The one thing that it can't do is have Roon.
From quick look, Vorterbox can act as a NAS. If so, roon will be able to see the ripped music on it and play it. You just have to configure the Roon storage settings to have access to Vorterbox.

OP
S

Spirit84

From quick look, Vorterbox can act as a NAS. If so, roon will be able to see the ripped music on it and play it. You just have to configure the Roon storage settings to have access to Vorterbox.

Ahhh. So practically speaking I could install Roon to my Windows 10 Surface Pro 4 and then access my music form the 2TB drive on the Vortexbox appliance. Is that correct? And if I subscribe to Tidal, I could also use Roon to read about the music. I could then cancel Deezer. I use Deezer in my car because it works with Android Auto. I read that Tidal also works with Android Auto but I have to check Canadian availablity.

Top Bottom