• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The decline and fall of Reflex.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm starting to think the Fui X series is very attractive because they are compact and offer a full suite of lenses.

assuming you did not mean Phooie... people who have the Fuji rangefinders and others too, just love the things - I think it is b/c the ergonomics or haptics are like Leica M's and other older bodies where you didn't have to go thru a menu system all the time

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
assuming you did not mean Phooie... people who have the Fuji rangefinders and others too, just love the things - I think it is b/c the ergonomics or haptics are like Leica M's and other older bodies where you didn't have to go thru a menu system all the time

What's with the phooie business? It's disrespectful as there is nothing in my post which even remotely suggests disgust.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
your fuji fu turned to fui...

simbloke

Forum Donor
I've stopped procrastinating and ordered an X-T3. It also helps that we're now allowed to go places.

Why not the X-T4? Well, that's quite a bit more expensive. I don't shoot video so don't care about the flip out screen, not too bothered about IBIS, and I think the battery life will be ok for stills.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My primary system for the past decade or so has been Sony E, and it's been quite a ride, seeing it evolve from lifestyle accessory into something more serious. It wouldn't surprise me if I'm still using my current A7-series camera a decade from now, and seeing as how I used my first-generation A7 for 7 years, I don't think that's too unrealistic. Did much agonizing and decided that the 3rd-gen models were really where the big advances took place: Olympus-derived IBIS, killer battery life thanks to NP-FZ100 battery, fast/silent operation and so on.

With Olympus, I found that I liked having the resolution-quadrupling, de-Bayer-ing pixel-shift feature, and that narrowed my Sony search down to A7R3 and A7R4. Only the latter offered resolution-quadrupling though. And killer Sony promotions in 2020 ultimately sealed the deal in favor of the "4".

I still get a definite sense of "holy cr@p!" when viewing the 4's images: Combination of no optical antialiasing with high resolution sensor means I can generally have my super-resolution cake and eat it too, with colorful aliasing artifacts tending to be negligible to mild. And if "mild" isn't enough, pixel-shifting can do away with it altogether.

But..? Need to exercise some self-control when shopping for lenses, as there's now a plethora of lenses offering to-die-for performance, but some of them are big bricks. In the future when I'm feeling flusher with spending money once again, I could see myself wanting to try the little 50/2 Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar. But for the past few months, my go-to lens has been Sony's 50/2.8 macro, more or less permanently set to f/6.3: It may not be quite up to the level of Sony's premium glass, but it's still pretty darned good.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am experiencing an attack of rangefinderitis

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am experiencing an attack of rangefinderitis
I've suffered from that a time or two. Fortunately, I recovered before I was tempted to use the "L" word.

Rick "too many digits after the $" Denney

Reactions: Wes

Roland68

Major Contributor
But for the past few months, my go-to lens has been Sony's 50/2.8 macro, more or less permanently set to f/6.3: It may not be quite up to the level of Sony's premium glass, but it's still pretty darned good.
Or try the Sigma Art lenses. They have similar imaging performance to Sony Premium, in some cases even higher.

Roland68

Major Contributor
They look big, maybe too big.
They are no bigger than comparable lenses, not even than the Sony. But the feel and image performance are impressive, as is the price.
The contemporary series is even smaller and cheaper.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are no bigger than comparable lenses, not even than the Sony. But the feel and image performance are impressive, as is the price.
The contemporary series is even smaller and cheaper.
This is the sort of lens that really interest me:
sony40f25.png

I have not yet seen this 40/2.5 (full frame) but I have examined the compact 28-60 zoom and very much like the size. That zoom is apparently a very good lens too.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how about a small & cheap Noctiflux?
Thanks but I'm good: I used to own a cheap-for-a-Noctilux Noctilux, but it was never really my thing. Bought it new, owned it for three years, and made a handsome profit in resale, so no complaints there.

antennaguru

I once asked a really good professional photographer what the best camera was. He said: "The one that's there". I think this perfectly explains why so many great photos come from cell phone cameras.

Top Bottom