• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations please

bt3

Recommendations for pair of small powered speakers?
Speakers used with Topping E30 connected to Macbook or Windows notebook with JRiver library on USB drive.
Budget <$1500 give or take. My listening rooms are 12 x 16 and 12 x 18 (feet).
Thinking Genelec 8020 or 8030 w/add-on kit (though getting out of my budget). No sub will be used (initially).
Speakers would be placed on small floor stands or on desktop at other times, so nearfield all the way.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Small powered speakers from Genelec, Neumann, and Adam have been reviewed here along with others. Read through the reviews. That's one reason why they are here.

Destination: Moon

Having just bought a pair of inexpensive powered speakers, I've noticed that most powered speaker recommendations are actually powered monitors. I'm curious as to how regular folks buy powered monitors and then deal with the individual volume controls to listen to them correctly? Mentioning here because it seems like a valid consideration (but maybe I'm missing something).

OP
bt3

bt3

As to "read through the reviews, that's why they're here.."
We all have our preferences for how we compile and use information to make purchasing decisions.
Sometimes I read the review conclusions from the host reviews here on ASR, but most often not.
I find reading/hearing user experiences of the most value. I no longer need remind myself, "The music matters most,"
whatever the playback gear.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm curious as to how regular folks buy powered monitors and then deal with the individual volume controls to listen to them correctly?

I, relatively regular guy that I am, rotate the knob on mine fully clockwise, then control volume elsewhere as desired.

Destination: Moon

I, relatively regular guy that I am, rotate the knob on mine fully clockwise, then control volume elsewhere as desired.

LoL,. With that avatar Ray we KNOW your not normal

But still, that doesn't seem like a good way to hear 2 channel music at the correct playback volumes?
Maybe that's perfectly accurate, but seems like a system with 2 different amps needs measuring not matching the volume knob positions?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe that's perfectly accurate, but seems like a system with 2 different amps needs measuring not matching the volume knob positions?

Measuring? I can do that.

Here are my active speakers, measured at the listening position (because that's where I listen), without EQ or "level matching", heavily smoothed to reveal the SPL, both speaker volumes set to the maximum clockwise rotation

I can't see where raising or lowering the volume of either the left (red) or right (green) would provide any benefit.

1623384004212.png

Applying a little automated DSP can straighten things out some, though, if you really want to change things.

1623384138367.png

Here are my passive speakers, powered by a pair of monoblocks, no EQ or matching, and DSP'd

1623384277957.png

I'd say, In my case, both pairs match up pretty well in the volume department between left and right without any volume adjustments other than a default setting.

YMMV.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sometimes I read the review conclusions from the host reviews here on ASR, but most often not.
I find reading/hearing user experiences of the most value. I no longer need remind myself, "The music matters most,"
whatever the playback gear.

Can I ask what logic this is based on ?

I mean... suppose we want to know about a certain speaker.
You read 10 reviews yet you often do not read the reviewer's opinion but am interested in owners opinions.
All 10 of them are evaluated by different folks in different rooms, with different music, different tastes and you don't know which of these evaluations are done in similar circumstances by people that have the same 'gravity' to aspects you value more than others.

The best you can get out of this is to weed out total crap or get an idea which might be interesting. When music matters most there is only one correct way. Audition them yourself, in your home for a significant amount of time.

OP
bt3

bt3

Can I ask what logic this is based on ?

I mean... suppose we want to know about a certain speaker.
You read 10 reviews yet you often do not read the reviewer's opinion but am interested in owners opinions.
All 10 of them are evaluated by different folks in different rooms, with different music, different tastes and you don't know which of these evaluations are done in similar circumstances by people that have the same 'gravity' to aspects you value more than others.

The best you can get out of this is to weed out total crap or get an idea which might be interesting. When music matters most there is only one correct way. Audition them yourself, in your home for a significant amount of time.
Within a science-based audio forum, can understand how my post here could come off as confusing. Most of the audio equipment I purchased over the years was not available to use before purchase. I have a handful of ASR members whose posts I often read, because I find their posts insightful. You're actually one of that handful.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most of the audio equipment I purchased over the years was not available to use before purchase.

In that case relying on reviews or having the possibility to return things may be the only ways to get 'close' to what you are looking for.
Depending on where you live aside from Genelec, Neumann, and Adam I have always been impressed by Dynaudio monitors as well.

OP
bt3

bt3

In that case relying on reviews or having the possibility to return things may be the only ways to get 'close' to what you are looking for.
Depending on where you live aside from Genelec, Neumann, and Adam I have always been impressed by Dynaudio monitors as well.
Genelec G Two's interest me, however that model is special order item from BH and few other US sellers and cannot be returned. Of course Genelec 8020's are readily available. Those I think can be returned. The G Two's have RCA-only and that's what I prefer. I'd be using the G Two's with a Topping E30. Owned Audioengine A2+ in past, but think G Two's will be a step-up even with my over sixty hearing.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Genelec G Two's interest me, however that model is special order item from BH and few other US sellers and cannot be returned. Of course Genelec 8020's are readily available. Those I think can be returned. The G Two's have RCA-only and that's what I prefer. I'd be using the G Two's with a Topping E30. Owned Audioengine A2+ in past, but think G Two's will be a step-up even with my over sixty hearing.

The 8020's can also be connected to the XLR from an RCA out.
You just need an RCA to XLR input cable.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Nice! I'm kinda amazed that they balance so well with such a simple approach (volume knob position, not DSP).
What speakers?

The actives are JBL LSR 308 - the volume knob on the speakers is all the way up

The passives MartinLogan reQuest with Krell FPB 350 mcx amps.

Both are fed from the same DAC, and different channels of the prea,p. but no balance adjustment is used.

Top Bottom