• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRS vs XLR

Tom C

Major Contributor
I am trying to refine my media set up, and have an elementary technical question. Is there any expected qualitative difference between balanced TRS and balanced XLR interconnects? The reason I ask is that I am considering a patch bay, and TRS has a cost and space advantage over XLS. I also think full-normal functionality of TRS might be slightly more convenient, vs the straight-through function of an XLR patch bay.
I realize there is no reason to think there would be any signal degradation with either system. My question is more to noise rejection and potential for ground loops. It seems to be the two systems should be equivalent in those respects.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer xlr because they lock. Also less likely to get pops when plugging live

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For permanent installation I prefer XLRs going to the equipment but I would pass everything through a TRS patch bay, half normalled, so I could listen/ insert to any source or destination.

I used to do this on my hifi several years ago, but gave it up when I needed the rack space, even the 1U of the patch panel had to go. I might redo it, as it was so useful.

S

Kouioui

Forum Donor
Never a good thing to plug/unplug live unbalanced sources of any kind and I won't do it with TRS either. Some TRS jacks are used for EFX loops or I/O and it's hard to tell as sometimes they aren't labeled as such. Shut your amps/powered speakers off if you're changing sources except for XLR mics that don't use phantom power in a live sound situation. Even some cheap mixers will pop with those so best to power down unless you absolutely can't.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
the XLR is a more robust connector system and much easier to keep clean, but with everything in good operating condition the audio quality is the same.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am trying to refine my media set up, and have an elementary technical question. Is there any expected qualitative difference between balanced TRS and balanced XLR interconnects? The reason I ask is that I am considering a patch bay, and TRS has a cost and space advantage over XLS. I also think full-normal functionality of TRS might be slightly more convenient, vs the straight-through function of an XLR patch bay.
I realize there is no reason to think there would be any signal degradation with either system. My question is more to noise rejection and potential for ground loops. It seems to be the two systems should be equivalent in those respects.
XLR is designed so that when plugged in, the ground is the first connection, to protect against shorts.
Can't see how one (XLR vs TRS) would offer better noise rejection or protection against ground loops.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Actually neither a balanced SLR or TRS interconnect has a 'ground'. But they do have a 'shield' which is a different ballgame.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If you're going to use a "TRS" plug, I would use a real one, but these can only be used with "real" TRS jacks like in a patchbay. The generic nickel plated 1/4" phone plug with tip-ring-sleeve connections is in my experience unreliable and noisy over time. XLRs are much better and rarely become intermittent or noisy. Below is the real thing, an M642 type plug.
482.jpg

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I made some awesome TRS to XLR-M cables today to run from my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to my Schiit Freya S. I used Neutrik gold and black connectors, Type E cable, paracord 700 sheething, and @Wayne A. Pflughaupt 's Tutorial. thanks again for puttimg this together. I am so happy with my work, they perform properly, and I am getting better and better at soldering.

Top Bottom