• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there an audibly better streamer than Chromecast Audio?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
This has probably been discussed before, but I haven’t seen a definitive answer.

As I understand it, the CCA is bit perfect, with negligible jitter, when connected to a good DAC.

So, that suggests there is no other streamer which can provide an audible improvement in sound quality when used this way.

I use the Tidal App to stream to a CCA as part the following system:
CCA/Topping D50
NAP100
Dynaudio Emit M10s

Is the sound quality compromised by a cheap £30 streamer? Is there an alternative which would significantly improve it, or is the CCA really as good as it gets?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This has probably been discussed before, but I haven’t seen a definitive answer.

As I understand it, the CCA is bit perfect, with negligible jitter, when connected to a good DAC.

So, that suggests there is no other streamer which can provide an audible improvement in sound quality when used this way.

CCA/Topping D50
NAP100
Dynaudio Emit M10s

Is the sound quality compromised by a cheap £30 streamer? Is there an alternative which would significantly improve it, or is the CCA really as good as it gets?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

Just make sure you read the conclusion including the edit. Per Amir, on a D50- identical to his analysers optical outut. So in your setup- / DAC no, the CCA isnt compromising.

EDIT- Beaten by a second!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

CCA/Topping D50
NAP100
Dynaudio Emit M10s

You are 'limited' to 24/96 I believe, but otherwise there isn't anything that compromises on its fidelity vs some other streamer. It's a great little puck...I stocked up on them when they were trying to get rid of them for $15 each.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are 'limited' to 24/96 I believe, but otherwise there isn't anything that compromises on its fidelity vs some other streamer. It's a great little puck...I stocked up on them when they were trying to get rid of them for $15 each.

Another slight caveat, need to have a good connection to your WiFi or they drop. But any streamer on WiFi may suffer that.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Another slight caveat, need to have a good connection to your WiFi or they drop. But any streamer on WiFi may suffer that.

This is true...but fortunately haven't noticed any particular susceptibility in my application.

One of the bonuses that comes with the CCA is the ability to group them and sync music to multiple endpoints. I have 6 connected, and it's hard to know how I would duplicate that 'whole house' sync'd sound for anything close to the <$100 I spent.

They go for about $50 now, and being discontinued is an issue for some...but the combo of Roon and CCA is pretty remarkable.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
On paper yes but very few people have gotten it working at 96kHz..

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/356030

Reliable at 44.1 and 48kHz though.

Mine must be special...no issues for me.

Playing now:
Screenshot_20200614-072725.png

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Mine do well on wifi, but you can also use a wired connection. Sonically there is no issue and nothing can improve it. Even the analogue output is very good, but there may be marginal advantages to using its digital output into a good DAC (an RME ADI-2 in my case, and Quad electrostats for good measure). I don't believe 24/96 has any sonic benefits, and only wastes bandwidth and hence energy.

Willem

Major Contributor
If you have a problem are you sure it is the CCA wifi connection and not the internet getting into your home - or a substandard router? Anyway, there is the wired option.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
100% reliable at 96kHz though? Never a stutter?

Don't use CCA enough with enough 96 content to say that. But, as Woody shows, roon sends 96, my dac screen shows 96. (mine would be mqa unfolded to 96 by roon decoder)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a problem are you sure it is the CCA wifi connection and not the internet getting into your home - or a substandard router? Anyway, there is the wired option.
Yes, I've oft times sat with my phone on strong WiFi trying to coax the CCA to be recognised 6 inches away.

With WiFi repeaters set up, no such issue

OP
G

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
So, the answer seems to be.....

NO, there is no audibly better streamer than Chromecast Audio!!!!

.... although I thought there may be some other opinions.

BTW, I have never had any Wi-Fi connection issues or drop outs, even when streaming 96kHz from Qobuz.

Another question for you guys. Amir’s measurements were based on steaming via Roon. Can we assume that streaming direct from Tidal would provide the same measurements?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, the answer seems to be.....

NO, there is no audibly better streamer than Chromecast Audio!!!!

.... although I thought there may be some other opinions.

BTW, I have never had any Wi-Fi connection issues or drop outs, even when streaming 96kHz from Qobuz.

Another question for you guys. Amir’s measurements were based on steaming via Roon. Can we assume that streaming direct from Tidal would provide the same measurements?

See the review again. Assuming any app implements the CCast protocols properly, there was testing done on a few in a different thread. I'd assume unless you read different Tidal does. Bubble UPNP (which can stream Tidal) definitely does.

Willem

Major Contributor
Amir's original test was from a Chrome browser, and that is not the correct way to use a CCA, but only a stopgap solution for when there is no dedicated app. Used properly with a correctly designed streaming service specific app there are no sonic issues.

Top Bottom