• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music streaming beginners

jonny707

At present I have a very simple two channel hi-fi/TV setup which I can control with just two remotes. I have a fire stick and chromecast connected to my TV which in turn is connected to my denon AVR through HDMI. Ideally I would like to stream Tidal directly from the TV app which goes through the firestick but the sound quality is much inferior to streaming tidal from my phone which plays through Chromecast but then I loose the convenience of using my remote. Has anyone any idea why the TV app playback is of such poor quality compared to streaming from my phone to Chromecast.
I realise I can improve things by adding a streamer but that means using phone to control things.
Both scenario's show music streaming at 16bit 44.1 Khz.

RosalieTheDog

With convenience of remote you mean other functions than simple volume control (pauze, next song and so on)?

Tv's are tricky, often their internal resampling etc are mysterious black boxes. However, whatever it does, the Chromecast and the Firestick should be equally subject to it.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try any other apps besides Tidal's? I have played music through a firestick using airplay and I thought it sounded fine played through the mediocre at best system I was using.

I am curious, are you able to use voice control to choose music with Tidal on Firestick? I can't imagine being happy with a streaming system without a keyboard or voice control.

dzerig

At present I have a very simple two channel hi-fi/TV setup which I can control with just two remotes. I have a fire stick and chromecast connected to my TV which in turn is connected to my denon AVR through HDMI. Ideally I would like to stream Tidal directly from the TV app which goes through the firestick but the sound quality is much inferior to streaming tidal from my phone which plays through Chromecast but then I loose the convenience of using my remote. Has anyone any idea why the TV app playback is of such poor quality compared to streaming from my phone to Chromecast.
I realise I can improve things by adding a streamer but that means using phone to control things.
Both scenario's show music streaming at 16bit 44.1 Khz.
How is the firestick sending audio to the tv input? Wired connected or bluetooth? Double check the settings in Fire app and see what it is doing. Check the tidal app as well, and the wiring to make sure it's connected.

It shouldn't sound that bad really.

Focus SE

Depending on the processor/reciever/AVR you are using I have found that the remote app for my phone on the Marantz avr solved all my issues. It might not be a current option for you now but one to consider on any future upgrade

Top Bottom