• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to XLR Cable ("pseudo-balanced") to buy ?

kongwee

Major Contributor
I would say you may face problems. Most of what I read in that Hypex stuff looked like baloney to me. In most use cases wiring pins 2 and 3 to the RCA plug will work fine. If you have ground loop hum the 100% solution is a quality isolation transformer. Standard mic cables have pin one connected st both ends because A: It is the safety ground for a dynamic microphone and B: It is the return for the phantom power for a condenser mic.

If they think those wiring schemes give all the advantages of a balanced input with an unbalanced source then they don’t know how balanced interconnects work.
Not just Hypex but a lot of manufacturer suggest such stuffs too. That why you can get pre make and DIY on these stuff. Under you see similar thread tabs, you see such problem is very common in ASR. Also you will get 6dB losses, by graph it isn't an issue so Hypex has such a low SINAD. If you get used to hear Hypex in balanced mode, you will notice a less detail presentation with such adapter. Plus possible to induce noise not just ground loop.

If it is not primary source of listening, you can just bet on it.

wadude

Not just Hypex but a lot of manufacturer suggest such stuffs too. That why you can get pre make and DIY on these stuff. Under you see similar thread tabs, you see such problem is very common in ASR. Also you will get 6dB losses, by graph it isn't an issue so Hypex has such a low SINAD. If you get used to hear Hypex in balanced mode, you will notice a less detail presentation with such adapter. Plus possible to induce noise not just ground loop.

If it is not primary source of listening, you can just bet on it.
The thing that convinced me to use the recommended cable was reading on a pro audio site that the proper cable results in up to a 30db lower noise floor.

wadude

The fellow at Buckeye who sales Hypex, and Purifi suggest the Monoprice RCA to XLR cables.

I've used this with various amps, but I haven't used them with Hypex.
They do not have the capacitor and resistor on Pin 1 shown in the Hypex datasheet. They do mention that with most gear it can be shorted. I don't know if anyone makes a ready made cable with that.

Worlds Best cable makes one with better components. Cost is twice as much.

I have both brands in XLR though only the Monoprice in RCA to XLR. Never had trouble with either one. The WBC is more supple and thinner with the Monoprice being thick and a bit stiff.
Redco Audio does fine work.

soundtrane

Dealer
this is the bees knees. at least one of them.

tkin

Could one recommend such cable offering in Europe? All listings mentioned have extremely high shipping costs, thank you.

tkin

Thank you, just to reafirm is this Cordial cable is up to hypex recommendation?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you convert balance or single end in non active way, you will face problem. These are already threads popping out regard to the same issue..
Unbalanced outputs usually drive balanced inputs just fine. It's balanced outputs to unbalanced inputs that's more problematic.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a pair of WBC (World's Best Cables) I got on Amazon. Happy with them and no hum or apparent wiring issues. Dumb name I know, but they're reasonably priced and seem well-made.
WBC RCA to XLR cable are well made, and cables are flexible enough to manage easily.
Monoprice cables are quite thick, work just fine, but a bit ridgid.

Top Bottom