• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extracting surround channels from HDMI LPCM digitally?

hoverdonkey

Hi

Is there a product out there that can take 5.1 LPCM over HDMI and output the channels to 3 x SPDIF (i.e. front pair, rear pair & Centre+Sub) or 3 x USB?

I have seen a few boxes around that can take 7.1 LPCM over HDMI and output 7.1 analogue out, but not digital out. I would prefer to use my own nice DACs.

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
If your DACs have AES3 in, then you could use this:

That sounds like an expensive and convoluted setup though.

Instead, consider the miniDSP Flex HT or Flex HTx. They have HDMI in, transparent outputs, versatile DSP, all in one box.

OP
H

hoverdonkey

If your DACs have AES3 in, then you could use this:

That sounds like an expensive and convoluted setup though.

Instead, consider the miniDSP Flex HT or Flex HTx. They have HDMI in, transparent outputs, versatile DSP, all in one box.

Thanks for suggestions. I only have coax/optical/USB digital input on my DACs.

One reason I want/need digital out for surrounds is that I need to send 2 channels via through existing hidden cabling - and I only have optical and ethernet available. I have balun pair to send single ended audio over ethernet, but it is not great.

I have now found Meridian gear that can do it. Their HDMI switch (HD621) can send 8 channel LPCM over their proprietary MHL smart link to one of their MHL equipped surround processors (e.g. 568.2MM). The568 also solves another problem I have, which is that I do not have a centre speaker - it can mix 5.1 to 4.0.

Time to start saving...

Thanks again

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have now found Meridian gear that can do it. Their HDMI switch (HD621) can send 8 channel LPCM over their proprietary MHL smart link to one of their MHL equipped surround processors (e.g. 568.2MM).
You can extract the 8channel PCM output of the MHL SmartLink cable to 8 x AES/EBU.

JFMV

You can extract the 8channel PCM output of the MHL SmartLink cable to 8 x AES/EBU.
Hello,
Please can you explain how you get the 8 digital audio streams in AES/EBU format in L-PCM (I guess…)with a MHL Smartlink cable ?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hello,
Please can you explain how you get the 8 digital audio streams in AES/EBU format in L-PCM (I guess…)with a MHL Smartlink cable ?
Not any more. It is among the many things that I have long forgotten. However, I, and others, did post that information here and on https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ in regard to the using the HD621. You will have to search for it, I am afraid.

JFMV

Not any more. It is among the many things that I have long forgotten. However, I, and others, did post that information here and on https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ in regard to the using the HD621. You will have to search for it, I am afraid.
OK Thank you very much...
It's a pity that such a simple device to extract L-PCM from HDMI data isn't currently available. There are several ways to do that, but it seems that isn't of interest for most people...

JFMV

I've been considering rolling the dice on one of these -> https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/hdmi-to-aes-ebu.373383/post-7544159. The price is right, no idea on how well it works.

Michael
This decoder is based on an ADI processor. It focuses on audio, although video is also considered...
Compared with the FPGA version of the Vanity Pro, the jitter seems to be less of an issue with the ADI chip, since the I2S in and out streams are synchronized together...

yulun

Hi

Is there a product out there that can take 5.1 LPCM over HDMI and output the channels to 3 x SPDIF (i.e. front pair, rear pair & Centre+Sub) or 3 x USB?

I have seen a few boxes around that can take 7.1 LPCM over HDMI and output 7.1 analogue out, but not digital out. I would prefer to use my own nice DACs.

Thanks
I DIYed a red box like this, with one HDMI input, one HDMI output, and 4 sets of AES/EBU outputs. It can be converted into 4-channel SPDIF output through the interface card. And the DSP card can be expanded internally.

586782c303303c0c2bed685a1f2ee81.jpg
c95171f645f602f10dd36c56fcd41ea.jpg

PGAMiami

Kal, is there a cost effective way to get the 5.1 LPCM audio coming out of an Apple TV into a Mac so it may be processed by a convolver? The VanityPro and Arvus should work, but they are rather expensive. From what I’ve read it seems the Apple TV decodes everything to LPCM if you turn off the Dolby Atmos output. My system is 5.0 so I would not benefit much if at all from Atmos.

PGAMiami

I DIYed a red box like this, with one HDMI input, one HDMI output, and 4 sets of AES/EBU outputs. It can be converted into 4-channel SPDIF output through the interface card. And the DSP card can be expanded internally.

View attachment 340311View attachment 340313
Yulun, is there an hdmi to USB or AOIP AES 67 box? Trying to get the 5.0 LPCM coming out of Apple TV into Mac running a convolver.

Top Bottom