• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

djb

I imagine the majority of us are middle age and up. Most pop music has been absolute garbage and rock is on life support since the mid 90's imho. My favorite aspect of the emergence of streaming is digging in and discovering either hidden new bands or exploring older stuff that didn't grab you earlier. I thought it would be interesting to see what bands you have come to appreciate although initially you didn't care for them.

For me, I would have to say the entire genre of 'good' country/Americana and Steely Dan. Having a good system really helps to appreciate their sound despite Donald Fagen not having the traditional type of voice.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
My tastes have broadened a lot...

My older sister was a Beatles fan ("They're so cute.") so I couldn't like what my big sister liked but i grew to appreciate them later and they had such a variety of music that most people like some of their music.

When ABBA was popular I thought they were just an average pop band but now I like their music.

I wasn't a Queen fan until saw Live At Wembley on video.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Talk Talk. But, of course, one has to get past the eponymous song to experience the good part!

This will sound a bit odd, but Joe Jackson. I'd heard "Is She Really Going Out With Him," but wasn't into him, in general. Then, we went to one of his shows because this new guy, Marshall Crenshaw, was the opening act. The plan was to leave after Marshall, but my friend said that as long as we were there, we may as well stay. Joe hit a home run and I was transformed into a fan. (This was 1982. We still go see both when they pass through our area.)

I also did not like Hall and Oates, but a friend had an extra ticket for a show in Reno (1984) and I went to be a good sport....and they were great. Now, I've liked them ever since.

I think seeing an act live helps.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm...I can't think of any.

I have broad interests musically (like many here I'm sure) but if I like music it tends to appeal pretty quickly. And the music that has rubbed me the wrong way continues to. For instance a friend tried to cure me of my life long disgust with Tom Waits' music. He told me what made Waits unique, compelling, suggested I approach Waits as a story teller etc, made a best of playlist. I tried, but it was just brutal. As bad or worse than I even imagined, and only increased my distaste for his music.

Similarly I'm not a fan of Beyonce and find her singing overrated and the whole Queen Diva Of R&B thing off-putting. Someone tried to cure me of this recently having me listen to her recent country album. Didn't take.

(And for whatever reason as I age I find myself less drawn to vocal music, more to instrumental. I find lots of singers just...not that good, and I find my interest in lyrics is rarely there anymore).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to not get No Doubt. I did not dislike them and they never displeased me but I just did not get it and now I do get it. It's fun!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think seeing an act live helps.
This! Haven't listened to Richard Wagner opera recordings but since seeing one live I transformed into a fan. Same happens often with operas and orchestral works from the 20th century or newer.

Anton D

This! Haven't listened to Richard Wagner opera recordings but since seeing one live I transformed into a fan. Same happens often with operas and orchestral works from the 20th century or newer.
Synchronicity!

I didn't really go for Wagner until the teacher in a music appreciation class explained how in The Ring cycle, every character is represented by a leitmotif and whenever that character was on stage, the leitmotif would be part of the sound, and be presented in a way to portray that character's emotional state at that moment. It opened up my world for appreciating Wagner. It was like sitting in mat class, and suddenly a concept becomes clear!

I love your example, thank you!!!

Talisman

Forum Donor
I've always liked smashing pumpkins, moderately so, at a concert I saw them live and I was enraptured.... Live they're a bomb, the situation is reversed with the "cures" which have disappointed me a bit compared to how much I like them

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a band, but I never got Bob Dylan until recently. I always loved his songs, as long as sung by somebody else, anybody else. However, in the last year or so, I've thought his voice wasn't the nasal whine I always heard it as. Now quite enjoying all his early albums.

Similarly, Richard Thompson is another one. Loved his guitar playing and his songs, but couldn't get on with his voice until recently.

S

Monster

Not a band, but I never got Bob Dylan until recently. I always loved his songs, as long as sung by somebody else, anybody else. However, in the last year or so, I've thought his voice wasn't the nasal whine I always heard it as. Now quite enjoying all his early albums.

Similarly, Richard Thompson is another one. Loved his guitar playing and his songs, but couldn't get on with his voice until recently.

S

Know exactly what you mean with Bob Dylan. If you haven't heard it already the 'Oh, Mercy' album is worth a listen.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole bluegrass thing was off-putting until my mid '20s and then I began to love it starting with John Hartford. I got bored and really never warmed up to '70s Progressive Rock and switched to Jazz/Rock fusion starting with Pat Metheny Group and Weather Report and became big Jazz fan loving most genres until this day.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Oddly, Jackson Browne. Looking back on that I can't understand what took me so long.

312elements

When I first heard The White Stripes (maybe 2000) I had a real hard time getting into it. It was like I was living the Johnny Be Good scene in Back to the Future. As time passed I really began to appreciate their contribution and to this day I find Jack White to be a musical wizard of sorts.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Not a specific band but when I was a student I was into avant garde rock (e.g. Beefheart), jazz (e.g. Derek Bailey) and concert music (e.g. Xenakis). All the cool cats in London those days were listening to dub reggae. I didn't get it. It seemed just boring to me. I don't recall when or how that changed but now I adore dub, rockers and roots.

Listening now:

1713643067366.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
Mid 1990s. Came home from a concert I recorded of the music of Josquin du Pre (sublime stuff). Eating a chicken dinner, drinking Serria Nevada Pale Ale, watching Saturday Night Live. That night's guest musicians: Nirvana. Felt like throwing my empty beer bottle at the TV screen. Later, got a German import copy of Nevermind, loved the drum sound on "Smells Like Teen Spirit". But have to say that most of the time, these days, I'm listening to classical music. Have yet to "get" Metallica. Or most Heavy Metal, for that matter, but have little problem with Punk. Go figure.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Isn't that stuff really complicated and rambling lyrics? I saw some, I am sure and it was so detailed as to lose entertainment factor rating in my mind.
Bob Dylan is more of a poet than a musician. A lot of his "lyrics" are deliberately obscure, though some are not. Some are more like jokes, but his reputation often prevents people from laughing at them. The quote at the bottom of this page is from "Mississippi", a song of his which appears in various forms - the "official" version is on "Love and Theft", three alternate (and quite different) arrangements on "Tell Tale Signs", and there's a couple of rocking versions by The Chicks and Sheryl Crow, among others. On the other hand, I always though this lyric is about the sort of memory loss associated with old age:

"I can't even remember what it was I came here to get away from."

One of my favorite examples of Dylan's "obscure" lyrics is "Highlands", in a way a nod to Robert Burns, in a way pointing to his own reputation as an artist and making a joke about it.

Top Bottom