• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

digicidal

Major Contributor
I don’t understand. What are the damages the owner is claiming in real dollars? I don’t mean something vague like slander, or anything couched in the future tense (You will hear from my lawyer, etc). What was lost?

I can’t imagine that any ‘loss’ the company can document as a result of a bad review will be upwards of $50k. Anything less than that, and it will not be worth their own attorney expenses to litigate. From afar, this seems like idle threats.
Even moreso considering on the Tekton side, Eric can simply re-release the same speaker with a different name and call it a new SKU (and invalidate prior reviews for the most part). There is a long history (in the US at least) of shady businesses doing this with the entire company. Wrack up fraud claims and bad publicity under "AAA Home Builders"? Just shutter that company and open "ABC Home Builders" the next week... problem solved! :rolleyes:

In this case, Eric has realistically done far more damage to his brand than a single 'bad' review of a single SKU could ever cause. I'd be amazed if there were more than a few hundred of that specific speaker "in the wild" - it's definitely not as widely sold (or reviewed) as many of the others. Honestly this is embarrasing from someone that seemed like an pretty great guy when I bought some of his very first offerings ~13 years ago. I guess moderate success has gone to his head like some other niche vendors we all know. :facepalm:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree completely with this. He needs to stay in business and measure his speakers.

He may have tinkered with some sort of measurement but it is not any conventional or is it conducted on most of his speakers.
I'm just not convinced all the different speakers with all the different drivers, and using a different crossover for every single one?

I think we would all be amazed how many different passive crossovers he didn't use and that they may be made in bulk. 3-5 XO
at the most, but I could be corrected with just a simple "we use 10 different types." I'd feel really good if every XO was designed
for every speaker type? I appreciate being able to modify an existing product to work, but I think one size fits all will be the actual
practice when it comes to the XOs he uses.

I'm not sure by any stretch of the imagination that his speakers can be measured in a way to help improve the design/measurements.
He may be stuck with "That sounds good." It's not like he's the first to do it or the last.

How about "buy my speaker if you like and don't if you have a problem with hundreds of great subjective reviews."
He can tell the truth and still sell a lot of speakers no matter what a reviewer says.

I really don't care for Wilson or the way they sound, so what!! The measure of "what's good" is a pretty open ended question.

Puff Puff pass dude! or maybe puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, I think I can. :) Take a page out of Elon's book. "Puff Power."

This is my opinion of course, and not meant to be reflective of this sites views or practice.

Regards
I have no idea what you just said. It was very confusing.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t even get the grief ? Tekton speakers are a bit unorthodox design and are going to measure somewhat odd compared to science/other speakers , heck they could be tuned by ear completely ? Who knows ?

And klippel NFS are more resolving than any other method every squiggly is there .

So the designers and their customers like these for what they are and can still do that regardless of any measurements.
We who wants something else from a speaker can pass on these due to the unorthodox performance win win .

What about the hissy fit , removing the speakers from the line up :) extraordinary strange behaviour ? They are exactly the same before and after measurement ?

And how are these designed ?

The designer can easily just explain instead ? A treble array can be a good idea if done rigth explain how , but don’t deny the downsides who probably show up as bit ragged top end or something. Large boxes with PA style bass drivers may not be the smoothest either just explain that ?
Why deny the measurement just explain why these are designed this way and what comprises are done instead of the traditional compromises done by others ?

Or are these designed “high end style” ( without any reasonable control over what’s real and what’s in the designers head ) and the reality check is a chock ? To that get a klippel or hire the service from someone who has .

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some progress to report. Two members who are attorneys have offered to help. I made a referral to Erin via the email address I have here.

AudioX3

Two points

1 Tekton lists the speaker if I am looking at the right one as a Monitor. A monitor is meant to be flat. Thus the argument that artistic choice beyond flat does not make sense in the design.

2. Lawsuits are best avoided. I have seen folks who most likely are right but lose a lot of money before realizing they got no choice but to walk away and copitulate. I think I would let it go and move on. It is not fair but....

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t even get the grief ?
Exactly. I checked out the video review, expecting a total slaughter fest. I was a bit disappointed ;) . It was actually quite positive, and even measurements wise, not that terrible either. So in the end, I settled for “pleasantly surprised”…. Now all that is left is “surprised” :facepalm:

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hence a reviewer's bad review of a product is potentially defamatory if it is false. So this case isn't about defending freedom of speech, it's about whether or not Erin injured Tekton by publishing a false review.
Where's the consumer protection for all of the false and fake positive reviews paid for by product makers and sellers? I'm not just taking about audio but this seems like a rampant problem in all consumer products.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had 3 day criminal jury trial this week. I was the 4th attorney. Meth found in driver door pocket. She was driving alone. She was offered six years serve 4. Convicted with habitual enhancement. I predict 20-25 years at sentencing. Another walked away from 10 actual years. Received 25 actual years instead. That one went through 6 attorneys.
My post now is a bit off topic to the thread, but wow, 20-25yrs potential yrs of prison for having a bit of meth in your possession, that doesn't seem sensible or even fair? I mean you've got all manner of crimes worse than that! (And I'm assuming they weren't even selling it?).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe people attracted to Eric and his heavyweight, extravagantly muscular speakers aren't upset about his behavior in this matter.
My guess is his potential purchasers will not have a common mind here, but will refelect the general population in their response to his behaviour. (I see no reason for a correlation between a preference for big, ugly speakers and a tolerance for unethical behaviour from a company) Some won't care - others he'll lose forever.

He's not going to do himself any favours with this.

taotone

Tekton thinks the threat of lawsuit is the right course of action.

The problem is that the community (on Erin’s facebook, YouTube channel and Patreon) and even here on ASR, supports Erin.

Which means that Tekton is doing reputation damage to themselves at this point.

It’s likely that many people will never buy any Tekton products as a result of this development.

Clearly Tekton have never heard of the Streisand effect.

My view has gone from "hmm, those look interesting, be keen to hear them someday" to "won't touch them and their reputation is now trash". Hope I see them at a show someday, love to talk to the reps.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be a damn shame if someone poked in all the Tekton tweeters at Axpona.
Funny, that did make me chuckle, but we know that's not a good way of playing it, but you know that & were just making a joke. Was a good one though, really did make me chuckle.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think that would help Erin, but just let me know and I'll send it to anyone interested
You probably shouldn't do this.

If there *were* a ruling against Erin - it might go worse, the more people have seen the review. Erin has pulled it. You shouldn't publish it further.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some progress to report. Two members who are attorneys have offered to help. I made a referral to Erin via the email address I have here.
Nice progress!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You probably shouldn't do this.

If there *were* a ruling against Erin - it might go worse, the more people have seen the review. Erin has pulled it. You shouldn't publish it further.
That's a good point actually, Erin's pulled it for a reason, so that should be respected (that's his control).

Jasperous

I appreciate the way Fosi has taken on constructive criticism and feedback and used it to improve their products. Maybe it's not too bold to suggest that Tekton adopt a similar approach with its customers.
Stop being rational. This is un-American

gpauk

I take great pleasure in fighting back against someone like Eric Alexander. And I wouldn't miss out on opportunities to do so. So count me in on donating to a legal defense fund for Erin.

But first we should wait for Erin to 100% confirm if a legal proceeding has indeed taken place as I am still suspecting that Eric Alexander is just barking right now.

I also would like to see a counter lawsuit by either Amir or Erin against Eric Alexander. Why? Because he will then think twice on inflicting harm to others in the future.
Trying to catch up on this on a mobile! Tricky!

I agree though - I don't think we know if Erin was sent a letter, or just spoken to?
If it's a letter, he is within his rights to publish it here. and that would be helpful.
As far as I can see from what's been said, he tested a speaker in good faith as supplied. No need to pull it down and retest with feet.

I also agree with another poster (sorry, can't find it at the moment) - if Erin would like to freely give away his data, many of us would happily publish it in non US domains, get it out there multiple times. Eric can do nothing about that...

Top Bottom