• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Tekton thinks the threat of lawsuit is the right course of action.

The problem is that the community (on Erin’s facebook, YouTube channel and Patreon) and even here on ASR, supports Erin.

Which means that Tekton is doing reputation damage to themselves at this point.

It’s likely that many people will never buy any Tekton products as a result of this development.

A SOTA company like Neumann does communicate in a good way with people that do klippel measurements. Look at the outcome. You can use a kh80 dsp as a thermometer on a klippel. Not so SOTA companys try to intimidate reviewers. Buy SOTA.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I know and agree.

But what's the probability that you would have bought Tekton prior to this legal fiasco? We have to discount your choice's effect on Tekton's sales by that probability.

For example, it makes zero difference to me because I had already made my judgements about the products and the owner years ago. There was zero a priori chance I would buy them so I cannot boycott the brand.

Only those potentially in Tekton's market count. My question is about them. Maybe people attracted to Eric and his heavyweight, extravagantly muscular speakers aren't upset about his behavior in this matter.

I don't know. But I don't think it's safe to project my own distaste onto those with non-zero a priori interest in Tekton.

You can look at my posts i thought tekton speakers are at least worth to think about. That is now in danger. Lets see how this ends.

Middle Earth

Sorry to see this happen to Erin.
I watched the review and did not think it would lead to this.
I think paying an attorney to deal with this would help Erin a lot mentally.
I have litigated a few thousand cases and just getting an attorney involved will probably stop this matter from ending up in court.
Reading posts from non-attorneys on the law is bemusing.
Reading posts from everyone wanting to help Erin is heartwarming.
Let’s help him get an attorney to deal with this in pre-litigation.
He should avoid communication with the other party or their attorney.
Count me in to support this righteous cause.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t have deep pockets and I live on a limited pension. It’s why I volunteer my time more than my money. Your gesture of generosity and compassion under the circumstances is inspirational and I will pledge $500 USD to add to the kitty. This will hurt but in a good way :cool:
I am on a fixed retirement income too but I will loot the kitty and toss in a hundred+ each month for multiple months till this is over. The principle matters here...
Steady on though, I wouldn't do anything that "makes you hurt" as you @AdamG worded it, not unless you really hold it that close to your heart that you think it should. I'd rather see many smaller donations from everyone, I mean I won't be putting hundreds into it. Well anyway, as I said in an earlier post I can't see anything coming to fruition here, I don't think they'll be a need for it anyway.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Steady on though, I wouldn't do anything that "makes you hurt" as you @AdamG worded it, not unless you really hold it that close to your heart that you think it should. I'd rather see many smaller donations from everyone, I mean I won't be putting hundreds into it. Well anyway, as I said in an earlier post I can't see anything coming to fruition here, I don't think they'll be a need for it anyway.
I spent $90 on 6 types of cheese plus pâté today... I can swing a hun$ each month if req'd. No biggy... :D

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I spent $80 on 6 types of cheese plus pâté today... I can swing a hun$ each month if req'd. No biggy... :D
Cool, I just wouldn't want people to be almost literally tightening their belts so to speak!

darrellc

Forum Donor
Would be interesting if someone with a Klippel posted a purely objective review of said Tekton speaker, with and without the feet attached, without commentary.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
I think what's important here is to put up a significant display of public support for what, in my opinion, are fundamental principles. I fully understand that there is a wide spectrum of financial resources within this community, so it is to be expected that commitments will be all over the place. But each show of support counts, and many of us have been fortunate in life, so for those in that boat, significant commitments can be made. But the individual amount really doesn't matter, it's the cummulative effect that's important, that there is a community out there that supports it's principles. It's the old "sticks or stones may break my bones but words will never harm me", well substitute a few bucks for the sticks and stones. You play the hand you're dealt.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Don't ask me how I know this but Eric Alexandar's lawyer has advised him of the same. Yet he continues.....
I had 3 day criminal jury trial this week. I was the 4th attorney. Meth found in driver door pocket. She was driving alone. She was offered six years serve 4. Convicted with habitual enhancement. I predict 20-25 years at sentencing. Another walked away from 10 actual years. Received 25 actual years instead. That one went through 6 attorneys.

Left

I am sorry if this was covered elsewhere. I am working and do not have the time to read through the entire thread. But perhaps someone could contact Kurk Denke, the founder and former president of Blue Jeans cable and lawyer. A copy of his response to a similar harassing letter from Monster Cable may be found at Audioholics: Blue Jeans Cable Strikes Back - Response to Monster Cable. As a lawyer might say, quite dispositive.

Middle Earth

I had 3 day criminal jury trial this week. I was the 4th attorney. Meth found in driver door pocket. She was driving alone. She was offered six years serve 4. Convicted with habitual enhancement. I predict 20-25 years at sentencing. Another walked away from 10 actual years. Received 25 actual years instead. That one went through 6 attorneys.
Clients who churn through attorneys are to be avoided In my experience.
In this matter, Erin should avoid contact and have an attorney do 100% of the communication.
I expect the matter to go away once he gets an attorney involved.

Ninjastar

Although this is an admirable display of support by Amir and the membership for Erin to be able to provide data without fear of repercussion, I predict (and hope) the monetary support will ultimately not be needed.

Eric/Tekton may have been able to successfully intimidate someone like Ron/New Record Day who relies on reviewing as a job, but I highly doubt he has run into anyone with the kind of money that Amir has and the fact that he doesn't need to stay in the good graces with any manufacturer to continue this website.

Only those companies that are confident in the objective performance of their products voluntarily send their stuff in as it is. Everything else (like the Tektons) is provided by membership.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I can see Tekton's feet attachment method making sense. Let me explain:

To attach a removable foot, you can have a threaded insert in the cabinet with a hole that goes only partway through bottom of the cabinet, or you can have a threaded insert with a hole that goes all the way through the bottom of the cabinet. The latter allows the use of a stronger type of threaded insert. (And yes, I realize there are other possibilities.)

If the hole only goes partway through the bottom of the cabinet, your choices of feet are limited to feet with posts that do not "bottom out" against the material beyond the end of the hole. But the cabinet is airtight without the feet being installed.

If the hole goes through-and-through, not only do you have a wider range of feet choices, but you also probably have a stronger attachment for the feet. And if you wanted to bolt the speaker to the top of a stand so that it couldn't be toppled off the stand, the through-and-through hole configuration makes that simpler (you don't need to get the bolt length exactly right) and probably more secure (the kind of threaded insert that has a metal "lip" on the inside of the cabinet is much stronger than the kind that merely relies on teeth that grab into the sides of the hole for the threaded insert.)

This has nothing to do with the primary issue this thread is about, but imo the foot attachment method is not something Tekton "got wrong".

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
This has nothing to do with the primary issue this thread is about, but imo the foot attachment method is not something Tekton "got wrong".
The part they "got wrong" was not documenting the (apparent) necessity of having feet installed, and/or providing a threaded "plug" option for those placing the speakers on stand/shelves. Lastly, if Tekton really felt so strongly about the potential functional benefits of a through-hole arrangement, they could easily have glued a block of MDF w/ a drilled recess above the hole, sealing the cabinet, while providing a gap for any feet. Might add 5 cents to costs.
They did none of these things, and instead chose to threaten litigation as their first course of action against an obviously well-intentioned, good faith reviewer.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Having read the various comments from Eric Alexander, both here on ASR threads and other comments on other topics/sites, I genuinely believe that our community's financial resources would better serve the world at large if they were directed toward the funding of long-term psychiatric counselling for Mr. Alexander rather than legal resources for Erin.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I can see Tekton's feet attachment method making sense. Let me explain:

To attach a removable foot, you can have a threaded insert in the cabinet with a hole that goes only partway through bottom of the cabinet, or you can have a threaded insert with a hole that goes all the way through the bottom of the cabinet. The latter allows the use of a stronger type of threaded insert. (And yes, I realize there are other possibilities.)

If the hole only goes partway through the bottom of the cabinet, your choices of feet are limited to feet with posts that do not "bottom out" against the material beyond the end of the hole. But the cabinet is airtight without the feet being installed.

If the hole goes through-and-through, not only do you have a wider range of feet choices, but you also probably have a stronger attachment for the feet. And if you wanted to bolt the speaker to the top of a stand so that it couldn't be toppled off the stand, the through-and-through hole configuration makes that simpler (you don't need to get the bolt length exactly right) and probably more secure (the kind of threaded insert that has a metal "lip" on the inside of the cabinet is much stronger than the kind that merely relies on teeth that grab into the sides of the hole for the threaded insert.)

Lets measure them with the holes closed and lets see what happens. Where is the problem? I dont think it will make a big difference. To much waves for nothing this will end bad for tektons reputation.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The part they "got wrong" was not documenting the (apparent) necessity of having feet installed, and/or providing a threaded "plug" option for those placing the speakers on stand/shelves. Lastly, if Tekton really felt so strongly about the potential functional benefits of a through-hole arrangement, they could easily have glued a block of MDF w/ a drilled recess above the hole, sealing the cabinet, while providing a gap for any feet. Might add 5 cents to costs.
They did none of these things, and instead chose to threaten litigation as their first course of action against an obviously well-intentioned, good faith reviewer.

Decent loudspeakers with longer than normal threaded insert nuts for feet/spikes almost always use a second layer of material just for the plinth/base.

I'm looking at two pairs of towers in my loungeroom at the moment, both of which have twin 25mm base panels, threaded insert nuts and spikes.

That said, if the guy came from the furniture industry, through-hole mounting with captive steel nuts on the topside are really common for strength and resistance to tear-out. But never for a loudspeaker.

Was there something about Erin's measurements that said something different than the other measurements of their speakers by various other outlets that are available? None of the measurements elsewhere seem to conform to what an objectively good speaker measurement looks like. I thought this was their thing kind of like Zu; it doesn't measure well but it sounds great or whatever their claim is.

Top Bottom