• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be enough to buy a copy of their production? Would it be interesting if Blades owners like Kal auditioned? I am sure that their production is of high quality.
https://trptk.com/shop/
I'm sure their production is of high quality. And yes, I would buy some tracks from them, but it would be because I like the track musically not because they mixed and mastered it with the Blade 2 Meta.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be enough to buy a copy of their production? Would it be interesting if Blades owners like Kal auditioned? I am sure that their production is of high quality.
On the other hand, if a track is mixed and mastered with some crappy monitor speakers, I would really have to like the track musically to buy it.

slaweks

Forum Donor
with W371A in continued directivity mode? There's a sudden jump in the gradient around 200Hz in Blades with a dip in on axis response where the side woofers crossover is at, the W371A is still cardioid 2 octaves lower
But W371A is hissing, and Blades with a good amplifier are not.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand Erin said subjectively there is no comparison to the LS60 and from my own listening experiences (unfortunately in different places and times) I can confirm that.
There is a bit of ambiguity here. Is it the LS50 or Blade which Erin said had no comparison to the LS60? Keith has said an LS50 with a sub or subs is nearly as good as the LS60. Both suffer from limited dynamic range although that's ok in smaller rooms.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
lol, no, not noticeable anymore and every high power amplifier will hiss to some extend, most people are not noticing it but it doesn't mean it's not there

Last edited:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, good amplifiers do not hiss. I can't hear any hiss from my setup, even 1 inch from the speaker and power maxed.
There is an experiment done by a member (I can't remember who and where, but it was under either a Genelec or Neumann thread), that demonstrated for passive speakers, even with a very high SINAD, once you take away the xover (which in itself serves as a band filter), there is audible hissing.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Would it be interesting if Blades owners like Kal auditioned? I am sure that their production is of high quality.
Indeed, I find their recordings consistently satisfying. OTOH, the same can be said about a number of other sources as well.
Blade2 Meta (small).JPG

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Plus at the chances to fail and get repaired as well the cost of such a passive setup has advantages, although truth to be said Genelec has till now also a great history in that section.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a bit of ambiguity here. Is it the LS50 or Blade which Erin said had no comparison to the LS60? Keith has said an LS50 with a sub or subs is nearly as good as the LS60. Both suffer from limited dynamic range although that's ok in smaller rooms.
He says that the sound of the LS60 is not comparable to the Blade and from my own limited listening experiences of both I tend to agree.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hiss is a problem with a lot of active speakers. In a teardown done here on a respected active monitor the chip amp was found to have a SINAD in the 75-80 Db range. It connects directly to the driver so there is no attenuation from a passive network. In a studio there is likely enough ambient noise to mask the hiss. On a desktop in a home it's a different story.
He says that the sound of the LS60 is not comparable to the Blade and from my own limited listening experiences of both I tend to agree.
Thanks, that makes sense to me. I suspect the big difference is in dynamics.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an experiment done by a member (I can't remember who and where, but it was under either a Genelec or Neumann thread), that demonstrated for passive speakers, even with a very high SINAD, once you take away the xover (which in itself serves as a band filter), there is audible hissing.

I think you've hit on the core issue - it's the different relationship between the crossover network and the amplification in passives vs actives.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Wow, amazing, beautiful. There was some investment done here, and extremely tastefully at that. Anybody correct me, but I have hardly seen any high-end studio with passive speakers.

Quite a lot of mastering studios use regular hifi speakers, plus all of these that work on B&Ws, like Abbey Road and a lot of classical music studios. There is a small number of passive studio monitor manufacturers: Amphion, some small ATCs, Strauss Elektroakustik, Quested

Last edited:

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
Anybody correct me, but I have hardly seen any high-end studio with passive speakers.
There are a lot of mainly "Big listens" here from Kinoshita. Passives are used less for mixing but more for mastering.

6bed5e_284a7cfcf1044d81acd548799540f007.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom