• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Knowing how B&W measures and how colored they are. This is either a marketing gimmick or a joke that knocked me to the floor laughing.
I think they EQ thier free speakers so that they can use them in the tightly controlled acoustics they usually have.
Can’t imagine that the raw response is usable.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they EQ thier free speakers so that they can use them in the tightly controlled acoustics they usually have.
Can’t imagine that the raw response is usable.
You are way too generous. I think they probably mix and master with real studio grade monitors, then do a round of playback with the B&W EQ'd and check the box.

quattro98

Forum Donor
Perlisten are THX Dominus certified,that's not easy to beat.
Do Blades have any similar certification?
No, but the related CI speaker is THX Dominus certified. The THX certification isn’t free, so I’d rather save the money. The compression and distortion measurements suggest that output won’t be an issue, even in large spaces, especially with the use of subs.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone wonders why Amir got the lower model and Erin higher end one? Maybe KEF wanted Blade to be listened to in stereo lol
Wait. Amir got a blade as well? When did this happen? Is the review out?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, but the related CI speaker is THX Dominus certified. The THX certification isn’t free, so I’d rather save the money. The compression and distortion measurements suggest that output won’t be an issue, even in large spaces, especially with the use of subs.

You are correct, it's not free and I am very there are many speakers that meets or exceeds and did not pursue such certification, granted it's only recent.

Perlisten went for it because they were a new brand and they needed that extra marketing power.

Full disclosure, I have the S7t.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You are correct, it's not free and I am very there are many speakers that meets or exceeds and did not pursue such certification, granted it's only recent.

Perlisten went for it because they were a new brand and they needed that extra marketing power.

Full disclosure, I have the S7t.
THX certifications imply, I imagine, that distortion will stay below a certain threshold at a given SPL, same for compression, and so on. I think the actual requirements are not public (or at least, I have not seen them anywhere) and "getting the sticker" requires to pay a fee. It matters little if they have or do not have "the sticker" as long as the technicalities are met; we´ll simply won´t know.

That said, the S7t would still be the performance monster it is with, or without the Dominus certification. :D

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
THX certifications imply, I imagine, that distortion will stay below a certain threshold at a given SPL, same for compression, and so on. I think the actual requirements are not public (or at least, I have not seen them anywhere) and "getting the sticker" requires to pay a fee. It matters little if they have or do not have "the sticker" as long as the technicalities are met; we´ll simply won´t know.

That said, the S7t would still be the performance monster it is with, or without the Dominus certification. :D
Agree, the certification is not important for people like ASR members. I would rather them not have the certification, if it meant I would save few hundred bucks. But I imagine it's a nominal fee on a very expensive speaker, so at the end, I am ok either way.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are just completing a significant renovation of our apartment and, thanks to my wife, the Blade 2 Metas are the focal point of the living room.
I just completed a renovation of my living room and terrace and have been eyeing a "re-do" of my home theater now that the renovation is complete. As part of this process, I'm replacing most of the furniture in the living room and as such, my piano black R11s will no longer match the aesthetic of the space. I was debating between Reference 5 Meta in walnut/silver and Blade 2 Meta in Blue/Bronze.

The debate is essentially whether I want the speakers to 'disappear' in the room or instead to serve as a focal point. It sounds like you chose the latter, and that idea is growing on me.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also directivity and imaging are quite different.
For a truckload of money the Blade ought to be a lot better.

Should I start a go fund me for the Blade 2 Meta?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have to agree, the styling I just can't quite grow to love. Still, if I had the cash, I'd likely still be tempted.
I can tell you my wife would object to the available strength of her input.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a truckload of money the Blade ought to be a lot better.

Should I start a go fund me for the Blade 2 Meta?
Good idea, I will also start one! :D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Wow, amazing, beautiful. There was some investment done here, and extremely tastefully at that. Anybody correct me, but I have hardly seen any high-end studio with passive speakers.
They're certainly less common - actives have plenty of advantages in a studio setting (not the least of which is driver protection).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The debate is essentially whether I want the speakers to 'disappear' in the room or instead to serve as a focal point. It sounds like you chose the latter, and that idea is growing on me.
That was my wife's decision since none of the options I offered could "disappear."

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quite a lot of mastering studios use regular hifi speakers, plus all of these that work on B&Ws, like Abbey Road and a lot of classical music studios. There is a small number of passive studio monitor manufacturers: Amphion, some small ATCs, Strauss Elektroakustik, Quested
Well, ATC is foremost known for their active monitors. And I was visiting the Strauss Elektroakustik website, they have a topic "Why passive" and basically everything written there is bullshit, so I don´t trust that company at all, looking at their prices, even less so. All their BS exposed there can be translated to: this way we can sell you overpriced passive speakers and additionally also overpriced amps, cashing in big time twice.

slaweks

Forum Donor
There is an experiment done by a member (I can't remember who and where, but it was under either a Genelec or Neumann thread), that demonstrated for passive speakers, even with a very high SINAD, once you take away the xover (which in itself serves as a band filter), there is audible hissing.
OK, but why would I take out the xover? :)

delta76

Major Contributor
To my untrained eyes, how is this better than ls60 wireless, outside of it can play noticeably louder without distortion and it looks "fancier/more luxury"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom