• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alcons?

Tovarich007

You guys are hugely overthinking this. It’s weird wording, they are referring to wattage.

Imagine a 100w rated, 100db efficiency driver:

At 100w (continuous rating) - 120db
At 200w (2:1, typical crest factor) - 123db
At 400w (4:1, rare/ultra high performance) - 126db

Now the Alcons driver is capable of 15:1.
So 131.8db at its 1500w peak rating.

This gives it a 8.8db dynamic advantage over the vast majority of drivers, and a 5.8db advantage over the bleeding edge of high performance comp. drivers.

Which is (real world) absolutely massive.
Yeah, but is this so effective and important in practice ? Alcons ads a lot about their ribbon technology, but a speaker is a whole, not only an HF driver ?

Question is : are they OVERALL better speaker than the competition, or just amazing in the treble resolution and dynamics, which could cause problem of homogeinity if the main drivers in bass and medium are less dynamic and resolving ?

IMO, homogeinity and coherence of diffusion on the whole frequency spectrum is, by far, a most important criteria than sheer resolution in one part of the spectrum.
Has anyone carefully listened to their new monitor range (the M series) ? I would like to know how they compare with big Genelecs, Neumann, JBL M2 and other "big boys" ?

ocinn

Yeah, but is this so effective and important in practice ?
In live sound, which is their main scope, and also in high output pro studio use (as mid/far-field monitors), yes absolutely.

In my circles (live audio engineers), it is common knowledge that the limiting factor in usable clean output is generally set by the compression drivers distortion wall (usually well below their rated power limit), and not the woofers.

This is *precisely* why companies have devoted insane R&D resources into objectively perfecting multiple diver combiners like Danley’s Paraline.

For example, I’ve put the Danley SH96HO (1x1.4” compression driver) and the Danley J7 (8x1”) in a side by side comparison.

The J7 has only 67% of the woofer cone area of the 96HO, and only 70% of the physical volume, yet it effortlessly plays 8db louder. Wonder why? It’s the brutal distortion wall that the single CD of the 96HO hits, while the woofers and midranges are not even trying.

The Alcons ribbon tweeter’s seems like it just doesn’t have a limit. And they cranked it to legitimately terrifying levels and there was absolutely zero audible distortion.

Has anyone carefully listened to their new monitor range (the M series) ? I would like to know how they compare with big Genelecs, Neumann, JBL M2 and other "big boys" ?
Me, my friend (multiple time riaa platinum studio engineer), and my boss (very well respected live systems engineer) listened to them <1min after listening to the 8381a.

I’m aware sighted/subjective listening is flawed, however, a few seconds into the demo we all looked at each-other with the unmistakable expression of “holy sh*t this is on a different level”

Don’t get me wrong the 8381s are unreal good, absolutely untouchable in full passband pattern control outside of the Danley Hyperion (and in bass by Kii 3+BXT), but where the Genelecs (spl certified with my pocket meter) were audibly getting stressed out in the dreaded 2-7khz range, the Alcons were playing so effortlessly surgically clean, the only thing that has come close for me have been headphones.

I will also say that, as someone who went to every demo at NAMM, not a single booth even came remotely close to the amount of people sticking around after the demo to speak to the engineers and sales reps as Alcon. Which is very telling.

Fellow listeners have also corroborated my experience in this very thread, and also in this thread from seriously knowledgeable engineers/designers I respect a lot. See attached photo too.

I really recommend finding a demo of them if you can. As someone who works with their much more well known competitors, the Alcons have somewhat shattered what I & many others thought was possible

IMG_3484.jpeg

Tovarich007

At which SPL did you hear a compression effect in high medium/mid treble with the mighty Genelec 8381 ? I'm a bit surprised, it might have have been a very high SPL I guess, kinda live event SPL measured in room.

I prefer to listen at lower levels, "realistic" yes, but at a domestic scale in my room for private listening or monitor use. This is how I would like to listen to the new Alcons M series.

Anyway, they're not released yet thus no way to listen to them in France.

Top Bottom