• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 111 29.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 137 36.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 113 29.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 4.5%

• Total voters

Triliza

Forum Donor
A new rule should be introduced to be able to post in threads like this, if someone's net worth is below a threshold, say a million or two, you are not allowed to post. Otherwise this is insane, way too much money for a dac (apologies to the member that send it and many thanks for doing so, really appreciate it :)).

Random googling, here are some more ways to spend $10,000:

https://waxxradio.com/2014/02/13/ridiculous-things-you-can-buy-for-10000/

bargainguy

OK, school me here.

Why is Bricasti using a decade-old Analog Devices chip in this DAC?

A decade ago, it was their top of the line if memory serves.

These days, stiff competition from the likes of ESS, AKM, Crystal, etc.

Did they buy a snarfload of them initially and now they're stuck with them?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_2505.jpeg

m1_inside.jpeg
I do not understand the audiophile fascination with linear power supplies.

The original design with the SMPS is the top photo.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, school me here.

Why is Bricasti using a decade-old Analog Devices chip in this DAC?

A decade ago, it was their top of the line if memory serves.

These days, stiff competition from the likes of ESS, AKM, Crystal, etc.

Did they buy a snarfload of them initially and now they're stuck with them?
The design of the Bricasti is a decade old.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
10 years old is old for a DAC, so I rate as fine, but overpriced. Too bad as design and build look top notch, and plenty was put into separate power supplies and separate PCBs. I believe a new digital module is available as an upgrade for 1K.

I could joke and say it's a brick for "Bric"asti, but it is not. But I say buy an RME for $1,200 and then buy other audio goodies with the rest, or stick the 9K you save in a CD at 5%.

Mikig

Thanks Amirm for the review and for the extra time spent on the filters ;)

Nice to see iconic products reviewed!! They always give you the opportunity to "make the tare" between what you have today and what you dreamed of yesterday!!

well, what can I say.
I think this is the older version of the M1, the newer one has a different display. If it were the 2011 model, considering the years and the AD chip, the performance detected is more than good.
He certainly achieved a result! The test of time has stood, it is still “competent” after 13 years!
How many DACs have you changed in 13 years...maybe we didn't spend 10,000 euros, but...if you do the math carefully...
Nice to look at, definitely an eye-catching machine. It would be nice to be able to do a comparison with the newer units, to see what comes of them.

The moral about DACs?

we were born with 1541, we dreamed of UltraAnalog, but we all found ourselves with an SMSL*….;)

* Topping, RME, Eversolo, etc, etc….

Last edited:

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here we go, again … Expensive stuff measuring worse than dongle. And usual set of comments.
Yep, it measures worse than Topping, so what? Still audibly transparent, Still working after 12 years.

What’s not to like?
Is that a serious question?

The price. The price is not to like. It is fair for build quality and aesthetics come at a premium. The premium should never be 100x over a similar-performing device without premium build quality and aesthetics.

Honken

Is that a serious question?

The price. The price is not to like. It is fair for build quality and aesthetics come at a premium. The premium should never be 100x over a similar-performing device without premium build quality and aesthetics.
Agreed. Ten years ago this was still a rip off, it doesn't even look good (no matter it's age).

Hart

Suppose you spend 2k on a really good DAC, (arguably a better DAC) then spent the leftover 8k on better speakers? Now that you would hear. The difference between 3k speakers and 11k speakers is demonstrable. They definitely borrowed their look from Mark Levinson. If the goal is the best sound possible, I think most people put too much money in electronics. and not enough of the budget on speakers. I am guessing a system with a really great 15k speakers powered by a Denon receiver will still sound better than 4k speakers surrounded by 25k of electronics.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s still hard to think of a basic and easily integrated function such as digital to analogue conversion as meriting its own box, except in rare edge cases such as use of digital only I/O DSP.

Highvolt60

Would you consider this bad performance ?
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-bda-1-da-converter-measurements

I got one used 10 years ago for almost half of the original price.
When I got it, it blew away every other disc player or DAC I ever had (many !).

Still in use today and can sound better than the analog outputs of the Eversolo DMP-A6 that is attached via Coax spdif (depending on the source material quality).
As much as I would like to get rid of it, it just keeps going.
Also better about 95% of the time Vs a Gustard A26 via USB (which I took out of the system recently and may sell soon).

Comparisons are always at matched levels (within .1dB at speaker terminals) and both sighted and blind with similar results.
It is however very sensitive to the source component via Coax (no USB 2.0 input) so jitter attenuation is not good.
I had the best results with the Pi2designs Mercury streamer V2 before it bricked and almost as good with a Oppo UDP-205 (all via coax spdif).

But I do agree that $10k is way too much for the Briscasti even if this was brand new design with a more modern DAC !!!

Rhamnetin

Would you consider this bad performance ?
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-bda-1-da-converter-measurements

I got one used 10 years ago for almost half of the original price.
When I got it, it blew away every other disc player or DAC I ever had (many !).

Still in use today and can sound better than the analog outputs of the Eversolo DMP-A6 that is attached via Coax spdif (depending on the source material quality).
As much as I would like to get rid of it, it just keeps going.
Also better about 95% of the time Vs a Gustard A26 via USB (which I took out of the system recently and may sell soon).

Comparisons are always at matched levels (within .1dB at speaker terminals) and both sighted and blind with similar results.
It is however very sensitive to the source component via Coax (no USB 2.0 input) so jitter attenuation is not good.
I had the best results with the Pi2designs Mercury streamer V2 before it bricked and almost as good with a Oppo UDP-205 (all via coax spdif).

But I do agree that $10k is way too much for the Briscasti even if this was brand new design with a more modern DAC !!!

Linearity leaves a bit to be desired, but more importantly it looks like they didn't do a full set of measurements both with and without oversampling. If you're not using oversampling, I imagine there might be an audible difference which would explain your preference in blind testing. The Gustard A26 is of course the best performing DAC out of these objectively.

JeffGB

Wow, I guess I just learned something on their website for the latest version. Apparently I was not understanding some basics. The website says it is "point to point wiring". After building many tube amplifiers using point to point wiring, I just found out that circuitboards can be considered "point to point wiring"! Who knew?
The design does at least slightly outperform the Apple dongle but that only costs $9. Other than lacking the spdif inputs, the MOTU M4 has higher performance while including AD services.(edit to correct grammar)

Top Bottom