• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product - SMSL AO300

Ferran1974

I wonder if you followed the instructions on page 6 starting with step 5? You have to select the COM port in the dropdown box. It worked for me and I never installed the driver.
Yes, I did step 5. I wonder if the virtual Windows has proper acces tu USB port….
A friend is gonna bring me a windows laptop. Hopefully I will be able to do it from it.

Thanks

Updating recipe is:
1. Turn off AO300 by remote control (selected input is no matter), after that you can find COM port in the devices list
2. Execute the updating software, click "Stop", select active COM port (with the longest name), then click "Update"
3. Press "Input" button on the remote control
But I should warn all of you. In my situation ARC input stopped working... Just "no connected"...
Firmware filename: AO300VOA1.zip from smsl-audio.com

insomnia12

Updating recipe is:
1. Turn off AO300 by remote control (selected input is no matter), after that you can find COM port in the devices list
2. Execute the updating software, click "Stop", select active COM port (with the longest name), then click "Update"
3. Press "Input" button on the remote control
But I should warn all of you. In my situation ARC input stopped working... Just "no connected"...
Firmware filename: AO300VOA1.zip from smsl-audio.com
I think the only way to make it work is to switch off and switch on via the power switch behind the unit. Alternatively am considering to connect via the optical cable to my tv.

Noodles

Does CEC work properly after the update ? - volume control through the tv and power off/on ?

blse59

Which has better audio quality, optical or hdmi arc? Currently using optical out on tv and the sound is good enough to me. No luck getting hdmi arc output to work yet. Either my tv doesn't support it or the firmware update affected it somehow.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No luck getting hdmi arc output to work yet. Either my tv doesn't support it or the firmware update affected it somehow.
Do you have LG by any chance?
I have heard and seen ARC/eARC issues with LG, especially volume control.

DmitryL

Hi! Tested latest firmware: - HDMI-ARC works correctly.
1) PLS use good HDMI cable or first test with cable included. One of my cables didn't work with AO300.
2) Plug cable in HDMI with ARC support. (TV warning about that often)
3) Power off TV and AO300 before connect.

P.s - ill test FW and upload it soon if all ok.

Attachments

• 9033986428.jpg
    9033986428.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 77

blse59

Do you have LG by any chance?
I have heard and seen ARC/eARC issues with LG, especially volume control.
It's Samsung. It's an entry level model though which is why I wasn't sure if the HDMI arc issue is due to the tv not supporting it or if it's a firmware issue with the AO300.

DmitryL

Here is latest firmware from SMSL support. I still testing it.

Attachments

• SMSL_AO300_UPDATE_VER0A4_EN.zip
    153 KB · Views: 152

Charlot

Hi DmitryL

How did you get this update ? It's not even on SMSL website !

DmitryL

Hi DmitryL

How did you get this update ? It's not even on SMSL website !
From SMSL support. I asked to fix some problems.

Charlot

Ok, what is it supposed to fix then ? Apart from the HDMI bug. thx for sharing anyway

Last edited:

Ica2150

I'm listening for the first time this great amp and the difference with my old one (NAD D3020) is very audible.
The AO300 is coming from Aoshida Audio from Amazon FR, there was "pops" so I updated the firmware to AO300VOA1 and the problem disapear.

Pros:
- The sound is clearer and more powerfull than the D3020
- The screen shows useful informations
- Everything is working as expected in USB (I'm not using the other inputs or filters)

Cons:
- I'm using it with a subwoofer (SVS PB1000), I had to increase the level of the sub to get the same sound than the NAD
- When using it with ASIO with foobar2000 there is a small delay before getting the sound, like a too short standby/wakeup delay Corrected by setting Always On in hidden options of the driver's control panel

Improvement:
- It would be nice to be able to adjust the delay of the dimmer or to lower the brighness

Speakers: Magnat Quantum 753, 91 dB, 120 W, 30-50.000 Hz

Last edited:

DmitryL

too short standby/wakeup delay
Hi! Can you change streaming option and test delay?

<PageOptions>

- <!-- Supported values for this page: Hidden (default), Visible
-->
<Visibility>Visible</Visibility>

</PageOptions>

In XMOSUSBDACCpl.xml

1709467997294.png

Zeman

@Ica2150 do you prefer the smsl to Bad? I was thinking about nad 302 + topping dac.
I am using smsl ao300 but still something doesn't convince me. I updated but I still get the annoying sound (I use it with smartphone).

Help, does someone know how can I use small ao 300 with old phone with micro usb? I tried several cables but I still don't get signal with several adapters also. Not problem with new phone and usb c. Any tips? Thanks

Ica2150

@Ica2150 do you prefer the smsl to Bad? I was thinking about nad 302 + topping dac.
I am using smsl ao300 but still something doesn't convince me. I updated but I still get the annoying sound (I use it with smartphone).

Help, does someone know how can I use small ao 300 with old phone with micro usb? I tried several cables but I still don't get signal with several adapters also. Not problem with new phone and usb c. Any tips? Thanks
Yes I prefer the AO300, far better than the NAD D3020 but I don't know if its due to the DAC or the amplifier, of both.

Top Bottom