• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jay's Audio Lab and electral outlets

Blockader

Hey guys, Old Jay has a high end audio channel.There are guys out there who buy this kind of stuff and people like me who are curious to see what this gear looks like. I’m sure any of you, like me would like to hear some of this stuff. Isn’t that the fun of this hobby always striving for better sound. Tell me you guys don’t care to look at dream sport cars. I suppose you guys all enjoy the cheap audio man’s website, sure you do. As to how he gets the stuff who gives a rat’s ass. A year or so ago anyone who told me electrical would make a difference I might have considered a bit touched. So I upgraded to # 10 wire and audiophile receptacles. Quess what something changed. Now if I told you bigger sound stage or more clarity you would probably say great imagination but it wasn’t that. My speakers that never had much bass suddenly had a lot more. Thought my sub was on but it wasn’t. Got some buddies over and without saying a word they noticed the improved bass.Now maybe you can’t measure that but I sure as hell heard it. If you think about it receptacles cost about 85 cents a piece. These receptacles I bought had a lot more to them and actually took a good grip on the prongs of the plugs. Even hospitals don’t use cheap receptacles.Going to my first hi end show this summer. Going to listen to all the high end stuff I can. Quite certain I can’t run out and buy it but if it sounds a lot better than anything I have I will continue upgrading my own stuff. What’s the fun in this hobby if your ever really satisfied with what you’ve got. If that’s the case I’d give it up.
The realm of supercars mirrors the audio hobby in interesting ways. Take those jaw-dropping $4 million, 2000-horsepower beasts, for instance. Despite their astronomical power figures, they often find themselves outclassed on the track by more modestly priced yet impeccably engineered counterparts like the Porsche GT2 or GT3.
It's a scenario reminiscent of high-end audio systems. Just as Pagani, Koenigsegg, Ferrari, and Lamborghini can be eclipsed in lap time records, some of the most expensive speakers get outperformed by their more thoughtfully engineered, reasonably priced counterparts in blind tests. The essence lies in real-world performance, where promises of speed, downforce, or audio fidelity are put to the test on the track or in carefully controlled listening environments.
In both the automotive and audio worlds, the price tag often takes a back seat to objective performance. The true measure of excellence lies in meticulous engineering and how well a car navigates a track or a speaker reproduces sound, rather than the prestige associated with a hefty price. It's a pursuit where the thrill of the ride or the beauty of the sound triumphs over mere brand names or extravagant price tags.
For more info:

1700332033936.png

1700332083194.png

Delusional audiophiles undermine their own arguments when they start to discussing cars in an attempt to rationalize their purchases.

Owltiger2057

Forum Donor

instead if concerns i would propose getting proper UPS as filter if living with a grid connection that has lots of noise,harmonics etc..

Used in IT very succesfully.
I'm a noob to all of this. However, I do work with computers on a daily basis and build gaming PCs as a hobby. So, I have to ask why isn't a UPS the first line for most audio gear (I'm legitimately asking because I don't know the answer). I wouldn't let a friend use a computer without one just to ensure they aren't getting sags and surges. Is it safe to assume audio gear would be just as suceptible?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let's think about this in common sense.

I am an electrical engineer and I am amused at the meme of "premium" silver power cords.

You are connecting five feet of thousand dollar silver cable to a thousand miles of cheap aluminum unshielded transmission lines.

The power supplies of your equipment are designed to filter out this crap.

OTOH surge suppression is an issue most people are confused about.

Since their debut decades ago I have relied on Zero Surge equipment.

Most surge suppressors use sacrificial clamping diodes like a power line fuse in your amplifier.

Zero Surge uses a powerful inductor to reflect power surges back into the power grid instead of absorbing them.

It's like an impedance mirror that bounces transients back where they came from instead of trying to absorb them.

This is one case where power supply side equipment is worth the investment.

IIRC there was also an Japanese audiophile who laid a dedicated power line to his gear from the overhead distribution. You only need a modicum of electrical understanding to see why is this so silly.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I'm a noob to all of this. However, I do work with computers on a daily basis and build gaming PCs as a hobby. So, I have to ask why isn't a UPS the first line for most audio gear (I'm legitimately asking because I don't know the answer). I wouldn't let a friend use a computer without one just to ensure they aren't getting sags and surges. Is it safe to assume audio gear would be just as suceptible?
Suceptible to what? Analog power supplies use voltage and current spikes to charge the caps and have natural voltage sags between these. These caps arnt even connected to the ac 90% of the time. Then voltage regulators and/or power supply rejection after the caps to clean up the rails. If your voltage sags the allowable (by law) 5% you lose .2db of amp power from an unregulated supply. (If your running your amp that close to clipping use the money for a bigger Amp.) Otherwise nothing. Switching supplies use fast current pulses to charge caps voltage doesnt matter and then the same as above. The only use for a UPS is if you have brown outs or severe voltage spikes like from lightning.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What's the chance of Genelec / Neumann/KEF sounding batter then this system ? ;)
Screenshot_20240212_185252.jpg

Speedskater

Major Contributor
If your voltage sags the allowable (by law) 5% you lose .2db of amp power from an unregulated supply.
True for an amp with a linear power supply.
But if the amp has a Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) you won't lose any audio power. With a SMPS if the AC line voltage drops it just draws more current.

egellings

Major Contributor
But if the amp has a Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) you won't lose any audio power. With a SMPS if the AC line voltage drops it just draws more current.
i.e., it's regulated.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i.e., it's regulated.
For many SMPSes, this isn’t even the case. Many output just a fraction of the input voltage. Obviously there is some filtering going on, but it’s not perfectly stable. See for instance the Hypex SMPSes. They are regulated (except for the aux).

egellings

Major Contributor
Hi everyone, Jay has been posting on his youtube channel how his system changed (lost highs) when he had outlets from home depot installed. In yesterday's video he is saying that he had audiophile outlets installed which has made his system sound "cold" since his outlets have not been used? He said the home depot outlets warmed up his amps some models more than others. I don't have a good understanding of electricity but I know human minds. Is there any reality to changing outlets causing the sound of your system to change? I know power supplies are said to make a significant difference in sound.

thanks!

JH
Nope. If the outlet's ampacity is adequate for the load, it can't really make a difference; there's no mechanism by which that could happen. But, again: If you believe that the outlet model makes a sonic difference, then to you, and you alone, it will.

Blockader

What's the chance of Genelec / Neumann/KEF sounding batter then this system ? ;)
View attachment 349190

Can't you notice how much more noticeable the midrange reflections are compared to other types of reflections, and how they make everything sound nasal and echoey? can't you hear that the room's RT is ridiculously non linear and very high. Can't you hear the very early reflections smearing the imaging? Instead of waiting and hoping to get 8361's, I think you need to buy decent & cheap speakers and understand how speakers should sound first. All day you sit here and imagine how more expensive sound systems sound like. A hint: Even a 10M$ sound system sounds like shit if the room is not well treated. No subwoofer, no waveguide can make speakers sound great in an empty room or in a room with non linear RT in whole audible range.
That system sounds like the 300 dollar speakers I had in my college dorm.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Was trying to sat that, switching supplies can boost voltage.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This guy is by far one of the worst proliferators of audio nonsense.

There should be some sort of FTC law to ban idiots like him.
If he takes any free product or money from the manufacturers, then he's got to disclose that, and in that case, I suppose what he says could be covered by laws on false advertising as well. Not a lawyer and haven't looked it up, but the FTC was cracking down on influencers not disclosing "sponsorships" recently.

If he's just spending all his own money on this crap then I think he's free to lie as much as he wants.

Top Bottom