• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

G-rig

I prefer reading PDF manuals, handy to zoom when required and use the find/search option.
I haven't checked or updated firmware on my unit, sometimes best not to mess with that stuff (has the earlier DAC chip).

So is there an android app for the RME remote or people are talking about the physical remote?

Cheers,

weme

... I read the paper manual, and at this point my only recourse is to read the v3.3 manual PDF in its entirety to possibly discover where the differences are ...
This should also be mentioned:

Each ADI-2 series manual contains an appendix that specifies the firmware to which the descriptions in the manual refer.
For the ADI-2 DAC, see 34. Appendix:

Copyright © Matthias Carstens, 12/2017. Version 1.1
Current driver version Windows: 0.9616
Firmware: FPGA 09, DSP 16, 11/2017
Copyright © Matthias Carstens, 11/2023. Version 3.3
Current driver version Windows: 0.9827
Firmware: FPGA 81, DSP 59, 10/2023

... All changes in the manual represent changes in the firmware. And those are documented in the readme that comes with the Firmware Update Tool. ...

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So is there an android app for the RME remote or people are talking about the physical remote?
The remote protocol is open and based on MIDI. It is possible to develop an Android version, but I am not aware if it exists yet.

b407driver

This should also be mentioned:

Each ADI-2 series manual contains an appendix that specifies the firmware to which the descriptions in the manual refer.
For the ADI-2 DAC, see 34. Appendix:

Copyright © Matthias Carstens, 12/2017. Version 1.1
Current driver version Windows: 0.9616
Firmware: FPGA 09, DSP 16, 11/2017
Copyright © Matthias Carstens, 11/2023. Version 3.3
Current driver version Windows: 0.9827
Firmware: FPGA 81, DSP 59, 10/2023
Now that is more like the information I was looking for, assumed it must exist somehow. Thanks!

TK33

I prefer reading PDF manuals, handy to zoom when required and use the find/search option.
I haven't checked or updated firmware on my unit, sometimes best not to mess with that stuff (has the earlier DAC chip).

Cheers,
There is an app for PC and Mac I believe. I use the PC version (connected via USB) and it allows you to adjust settings on the RME ADI-2 via the computer app, including keying in or copying and pasting in PEQ settings, which is much easier and has been a huge time saver for me.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
@amirm, could I ask you for a favour. The next time you test a DAC, and it has multiple digital inputs, would you mind testing both synchronous and asynchronous inputs to see if jitter is higher in one input or another? I have a guy who is insisting that jitter through SPDIF/Optical is audible. He is obviously wrong, but I don't have proof of it. I would suspect that jitter would be very slightly worse in this particular DAC, but not so bad that it would be audible. It might also be helpful to check how sensitive the DAC is to jittered input via SPDIF/Optical if you have the capability to do such a test. Much appreciated!

eliash

Agreed,
currently using a bundle ADI-2 fs (the ADC/DAC base model w SPDIF/Toslink only) and Hifime S2 Digi bidirectional USB/Toslink adapter - for playback and recording.

Important advantages:
- best price for functionality
- full electrical isolation between digital and analog (no ground loops, digital noise, Smart Phone radiation - works w Android!)
- of course best jitter specs

@amirm , eventually a nice combo to test...

Mulder

Forum Donor
@amirm, could I ask you for a favour. The next time you test a DAC, and it has multiple digital inputs, would you mind testing both synchronous and asynchronous inputs to see if jitter is higher in one input or another? I have a guy who is insisting that jitter through SPDIF/Optical is audible. He is obviously wrong, but I don't have proof of it. I would suspect that jitter would be very slightly worse in this particular DAC, but not so bad that it would be audible. It might also be helpful to check how sensitive the DAC is to jittered input via SPDIF/Optical if you have the capability to do such a test. Much appreciated!
@amirm usually do that I think. He didn’t in this review, but today I think he actually meassures both USB and spfif/toslink.

Caliban

Forum Donor
Agreed,
currently using a bundle ADI-2 fs (the ADC/DAC base model w SPDIF/Toslink only) and Hifime S2 Digi bidirectional USB/Toslink adapter - for playback and recording.

Important advantages:
- best price for functionality
- full electrical isolation between digital and analog (no ground loops, digital noise, Smart Phone radiation - works w Android!)
- of course best jitter specs

@amirm , eventually a nice combo to test...

Thanks for the tip, you just made me order an S2, exactly what I have been looking for !

hearone

Forum Donor
Hey, just got the RME ADI-2 DA FS Version C. I wanted to setup up the XLR lineup for a McIntosh MA7900 Intergrated Amp. I did find on this forum the
recommend settings of "4Vrms XLR / 2Vrms RCA for ADI-2 DAC FS is done at +13dBu Ref Level, -4.5dB Volume." I also set the volume "Lock" function and Auto Ref to Off.

I did test a set of headphone on the Mac and they did not go up in smoke. LOL. The only thing that was not clear was the setting for Auto Ref. I think I read both to turn it on or it did not make a difference if Off. I did set it to Off. I assume using the Volume Lock would basically never let it change the ref levels anyway at -4.5dB. But not sure...

Just want to confirm I did not miss anything. If anyone has any comments/recommedations, it would be appreciated.

BTW, still playing with all the new features coming from a SMSL DO300 using WiiM Pro. Very impressed. I think it is a bargain once I got over the RME not having as good as a SINAD as the DO300. But the Auto Ref, for at least headphone, makes it "actually" a better SINAD at my normal listening levels and one gets all the features of the RME.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, just got the RME ADI-2 DA FS Version C. I wanted to setup up the XLR lineup for a McIntosh MA7900 Intergrated Amp. I did find on this forum the
recommend settings of "4Vrms XLR / 2Vrms RCA for ADI-2 DAC FS is done at +13dBu Ref Level, -4.5dB Volume." I also set the volume "Lock" function and Auto Ref to Off.

I did test a set of headphone on the Mac and they did not go up in smoke. LOL. The only thing that was not clear was the setting for Auto Ref. I think I read both to turn it on or it did not make a difference if Off. I did set it to Off. I assume using the Volume Lock would basically never let it change the ref levels anyway at -4.5dB. But not sure...

Just want to confirm I did not miss anything. If anyone has any comments/recommedations, it would be appreciated.

BTW, still playing with all the new features coming from a SMSL DO300 using WiiM Pro. Very impressed. I think it is a bargain once I got over the RME not having as good as a SINAD as the DO300. But the Auto Ref, for at least headphone, makes it "actually" a better SINAD at my normal listening levels and one gets all the features of the RME.

Auto-Ref is a wonderful feature. It eliminates the need for hand-wringing and second guessing settings by users trying to setup fixed ref levels. The RME's Auto-Ref does the calculations and heavy lifting for you. Let it do its job.

G-rig

There is an app for PC and Mac I believe. I use the PC version (connected via USB) and it allows you to adjust settings on the RME ADI-2 via the computer app, including keying in or copying and pasting in PEQ settings, which is much easier and has been a huge time saver for me.
Cheers for that. Not sure I'll bother changing any settings but will take a look. The dials and menus on the front of the unit aren't very user friendly so I'm sure this would be heaps easier!

Bernd

Forum Donor
Cheers for that. Not sure I'll bother changing any settings but will take a look. The dials and menus on the front of the unit aren't very user friendly so I'm sure this would be heaps easier!
Hi, I own an ADI-2 DAC FS! I really would like to have an Android or Windows App to be able to edit, copy and delete settings - in particular the PEQ- which is a great feature but really tedious set up on the DAC itself.
Due to your remark, I have been searching the RME site for such an app - without success! What I found were software downloads for Windows
  • app that allows to update the firmware via USB connected to a Windows host
  • some developer tool to modify the functionalities of 2nd gen remote for this DAC
  • If you have more and/or better information please let me know, so thanks in advance!
Just some little afterthoughts>>>>>>>
  1. When I'm travelling, I use this tiny Qudelix DAC connected to my smartphone. Qudelix have issued a Android App and Chrome Plugin, and I really wished that RME had a look at that - basically all settings incl. PEQ can be handled from there!. RME, please have a look!!
  2. For a while I also had an E1DA DAC which also has an Android App to manage all settings incl. PEQ. It is even better than the QUDELIX Android App. RME, please have look
  3. I think, what I really dreaming about is an RME DAC :
  • using a big screen interface similar to the Eversolo DMP-A8 (as the Eversolo is basically an Android player that seems to to bypass the Android Audio Engine similar to UAPP - that may be not an option to RME, who may to stay clear of any OS other than their own! )
  • Roon Ready
  • HQPlayer NAA Protocol
  • Smartphone/Windows App to edit all relevant settings.
<<<<<<<<<<

Well there you are...... me daydreaming

Last edited:

Mulder

Forum Donor
Hi, I own an ADI-2 DAC FS! I really would like to have an Android or Windows App to be able to edit, copy and delete settings - in particular the PEQ- which is a great feature but really tedious set up on the DAC itself.
Due to your remark, I have been searching the RME site for such an app - without success! What I found were software downloads for Windows
  • some developer tool to modify the functionalities of 2nd gen remote for this DAC
  • If you have more and/or better information please let me know, so thanks in advance!
  1. When I'm travelling, I use this tiny Qudelix DAC connected to my smartphone. Qudelix have issued a Android App and Chrome Plugin, and I really wished that RME had a look at that - basically all settings incl. PEQ can be handled from there!. RME, please have a look!!
  2. For a while I also had an E1DA DAC which also has an Android App to manage all settings incl. PEQ. It is even better than the QUDELIX Android App. RME, please have look
  • using a big screen interface similar to the Eversolo DMP-A8 (as the Eversolo is basically an Android player that seems to to bypass the Android Audio Engine similar to UAPP - that may be not an option to RME, who may to stay clear of any OS other than their own! )
  • Roon Ready
  • HQPlayer NAA Protocol
<<<<<<<<<<

Some of these things you want is allready available. Others will never be. A Quedelix-like apps needs bluetooth, and ADI-2 do not have that. If you want something like Eversolo and ROON-ready, well then you want a streamer and ADI is not a streamer. I very much doubt RME will ever produce a streamer.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Roon Ready
  • HQPlayer NAA Protocol
<<<<<<<<<<

Regarding no 1 . That's what the windows /Mac/iPad remote does . https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=214106#p214106

3 , keep dreaming

Bernd

Forum Donor
@Mulder and @Jimbob54 , tnx guys for your replies.

Indeed, I would also no expect RME to go into the streamer business - but I agree that my post was not clear on that point. And tnx for the link in the RME forum.

Ze Frog

Am I correct in thinking this can say send full range via XLR, and simultaneously send a signal to subwoofer and high pass mains?

Was going to go powered monitors, but heard the one's I was tempted by and they just don't match my D.I.Y's, mainly because of the Fountek Ribbons.

So far system list is:

Amp:Apollon Monoblocks, maybe cheapest or second one up.

CD player: Sony UBP X800 Blue Ray Player.

So just trying to find a nice DAC preferably with some DSP, just in case, RME ticks that box and measures extremely nicely. If it can't do bass management though, could well go for SMSL SU9, half the price and still perfect just no DSP.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Am I correct in thinking this can say send full range via XLR, and simultaneously send a signal to subwoofer and high pass mains?

Was going to go powered monitors, but heard the one's I was tempted by and they just don't match my D.I.Y's, mainly because of the Fountek Ribbons.

So far system list is:

Amp:Apollon Monoblocks, maybe cheapest or second one up.

CD player: Sony UBP X800 Blue Ray Player.

So just trying to find a nice DAC preferably with some DSP, just in case, RME ticks that box and measures extremely nicely. If it can't do bass management though, could well go for SMSL SU9, half the price and still perfect just no DSP.
The ADI-2 DAC has a single stereo DAC, so can only output two unique audio signals at the same time. It cannot do bass management.

If you're looking for a quality DAC with onboard bass management, then take a look at the miniDSP Flex.
It comes in six different versions with different I/O to match your use case.

Ze Frog

The ADI-2 DAC has a single stereo DAC, so can only output two unique audio signals at the same time. It cannot do bass management.

If you're looking for a quality DAC with onboard bass management, then take a look at the miniDSP Flex.
It comes in six different versions with different I/O to match your use case.
Thankyou.

Will probably just go with SMSL SU-9 instead. My speakers are fine with bass at the maximum volume I'm listening at, then run subs below 60Hz where my bookshelves start tailing off. They are sealed, so should be easier to implement.

Top Bottom