• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS MICRO 3000 First Impressions

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree that measurements are the best method, but I don't think the high pass filter is the silver bullet. Filters also have their caveats (they aren't perfect devices) and subs needs the low pass ... then you will have to work with 2 complementary filters. That's even harder and affecting the signal and the acoustics.

I think the low pass and the measurements is enough, and maybe that's the reason in the svs and rel recommendation.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somewhere in this thread there is a quote from svs on high pass filters.

Ace

Followup

I've been using this sub daily now for almost 2 weeks. I thought it was time enough for a second impression post.

I like this little monster very much. I have now had lots of opportunity to listen at all levels and genre's of music.

I have a coaster on top of it so putting a drink there even at high levels does not pose a problem (photo attached).

We all know when we first add a sub to a system the tendency is to listen to bass louder than, well normal. But real life listening happens shortly thereafter.

Unless I'm listening at low levels the volume is around -20db then it may go up to -10. I've been trimming the low pass filter as well. I know this is system based but my setting tend to run 50hz and down to 40hz depending on volume and music.

I now have a sub that I can hear but I can't locate with my eyes closed. The blend is wonderful for those that want to extend but not over power a room.

I would not advise this sub for folks looking for huge bass in a larger room. But for bass extension particularly at lower levels this is a nice addon.

Lastly I've had no more stink eye from the Mrs. She seems to be enjoying a bit of a bass boost as well.
This extension in a larger room is exactly what I'm looking for to partner with my KEF R3s. Aesthetics aside, why did you choose the 3000 Micro over the SB1000 Pro?

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Size.

Reactions: Ace

TurtlePaul

Honestly, the right answer is that a high pass filter should be used, but most setups have it in another piece of equipment upstream from the sub.

The Genelec 8030c aren't a good example because passive ported speakers roll off at 12 dB/octave, but active speakers can take advantage of a little bass boost around the port frequency and then a high pass filter to get a little more bass extension and a lot less risk of driver over-excursion.

Ace

I purchased a 3000 Micro after doing a back to back comparison with a SB1000 Pro. The Micro really is small! The app made integration with my R3s a cinch. I'm very happy with it. A second would be the icing on the cake!

Interestingly, the day after I bought the Micro a cheap second hand KEF R400B (dual opposed 9") has come up for sale locally. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-kef-r-series-speaker-system-page-3

ON TEST ON TEST KEF R400b Subwoofer | Manualzz

manualzz.com

What do people think about using 2 different subs? It would match the R3s cabinet and speaker colour well and the Micro could easily become a "satellite" sub.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very valuable information, thank you!

But it is sad that they dropped the HP filter. I have heard excellent results with subs crossed at 70Hz with 96db/octave FIR slopes. It relieves the main from playing the bass frequencies they can't play properly.
Yes, miniDSP is an option...
I run the passive line level Harrison Labs PFMOD to split my preamps output to my NAD 2200 stereo bass amp (high pass at 80 HZ) running my pair of 2 Ohm subs and my 2 NAD 2200's running as mono-blocks into my 8 Ohm main stereo speakers. This works quite well.

Filio45

I agree that measurements are the best method, but I don't think the high pass filter is the silver bullet. Filters also have their caveats (they aren't perfect devices) and subs needs the low pass ... then you will have to work with 2 complementary filters. That's even harder and affecting the signal and the acoustics.

I think the low pass and the measurements is enough, and maybe that's the reason in the svs and rel recommendation.
Yep, I owned a SVS SB12 NSD for a few years and found the sound through its HPF to be less transparant, subjectively, than without it. Of course, my brain could have been playing tricks on me but, over those few years, I tried it many times and regrettably always came to the same conclusion.

Last edited:

mike70

Yep, I owned a SVS SB12 NSD for a few years and found the sound through its HPF to be less transparant, subjectively, than without it. Of course, my brain could have been playing tricks on me but, over those few years, I tried it many times and regrettably always came to the same conclusion.

You mean your main speakers go through a HPF in the sub? In that case, I'm not surprised at all with your findings (take a breath, your brain is good :D)

I think the best way to have a HPF is through digital DSP crossovers that splits the signal to mains / sub.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I just received a 3000 Micro today and did a quick setup by ear - I will get around to tuning it with a spectrum analyzer in a couple of days. Compared to my old 10” Epos ELS sub - original amp died a few years ago and was replaced by a SVS 450 watt plate amp - it is tiny. The sound out of it is definitely not tiny. Just finished watching the 3rd Hobbit movie and the effects were room filling. Most impressive was the cabinet had no vibrations my hand could feel while making the room shake. I run everything through 2 channel stereo and my speakers are full range - Grand Veenas - Refernce 3A says -3 db at 36 Hz. Initial setup filter set for 55 HZ on sub - I will fine tune all of this with the spectrum analyzer but so far very impressed!

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I really liked mine but sadly I sold it. My new speakers aren’t quite as needy.

Aldo

Good morning,
I'm using this thread to get help using my SVS 3000 micro.
I can't save the tonal configuration settings via the SVS app. Each time I lose all the settings when switching from one preset to another.
example film <-> music
thank you for your help!

mike70

Good morning,
I can't save the tonal configuration settings via the SVS app. Each time I lose all the settings when switching from one preset to another.
example film <-> music
thank you for your help!

My unit works well ... you're saving the settings? I recommend send an email to the user assistance, they're great.

Opal

Good morning,
example film <-> music
thank you for your help!
i jus had some issues with the app as well. It erases all my settings and plays the sub on default everytime i turn it on. I fixed it by reinstalling the app and restore to factory settings.

Aldo

i jus had some issues with the app as well. It erases all my settings and plays the sub on default everytime i turn it on. I fixed it by reinstalling the app and restore to factory settings.
Thanks !! I will try ... ;)

Gary_G

This is just the thread I was looking for !

I too have just purchased an SVS Micro3000 to integrate into my 2.0 system. I currently have Focal Aria 926 speakers that play down to 45Hz. I use a Parasound A23+ and P6 combo for my amp/preamp. The P6 has 2 dedicated subwoofer out jacks as well as the possibility of setting an LP crossover on the P6. In addition, the P6 also has an HP crossover I can set for the mains. The good thing is I can turn both off and run the mains at full frequency and set the LP in the SVS.

I get confused by the myriad of options when making the settings.

My other BIG issue is my listening room is SQUARE ! I have not broached the subject of wall treatments with the wife so for now just need to get things integrated cleanly. I also have not entertained the idea of a second sub.

If I do not HP, the mains and then apply EQ to the sub( up to the crossover frequency ) I think I am really making a mess of things because I’m not EQ'ing the same information going to the mains as the sub! Does this sound correct ?

If I understand the science, I have a good bit of room gain from the smaller square room effect on my main speakers, so I need to crank the sub down and let it "support" the mains.

I have been making measurements with REW, understanding the software and methods. Attached is a comparison of measurements from separate times to ensure I am making the measurements correctly and then with the sub.

I have not fully wrapped my head around the Schroder Frequency but from various calculations I get 121Hz to around 194Hz. From the plot it looks like the room takes over around 150Hz-160Hz.

Here are a few refrences.

comparison1.jpg

Attachments

• room standing waves.pdf
    278.9 KB · Views: 20

darrellc

Forum Donor
I just received a 3000 Micro today and did a quick setup by ear - I will get around to tuning it with a spectrum analyzer in a couple of days. Compared to my old 10” Epos ELS sub - original amp died a few years ago and was replaced by a SVS 450 watt plate amp - it is tiny. The sound out of it is definitely not tiny. Just finished watching the 3rd Hobbit movie and the effects were room filling. Most impressive was the cabinet had no vibrations my hand could feel while making the room shake. I run everything through 2 channel stereo and my speakers are full range - Grand Veenas - Refernce 3A says -3 db at 36 Hz. Initial setup filter set for 55 HZ on sub - I will fine tune all of this with the spectrum analyzer but so far very impressed!
Hi @Bob from Florida! I am thinking of making the same move (from an Epos ELS sub to 3000 Micro). What are your impressions post transition? My primary use is 2 channel stereo for music, distant secondary use is movies (switching to 5.1 for movies).

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Hi @Bob from Florida! I am thinking of making the same move (from an Epos ELS sub to 3000 Micro). What are your impressions post transition? My primary use is 2 channel stereo for music, distant secondary use is movies (switching to 5.1 for movies).
Better in every way. I liked it so much I added a second one to finish balancing the room. The smaller size allowed a second to be used. The Epos - or any other sub would not have fit in location number 2. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Top Bottom