• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AH-D5200

How are Denon AH-D5200?

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very good

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Average

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Bad

• Horrible

• Total voters
After seeing a person bringing up these headphones in my "Headphone under 350 euro" thread, I looked them up and they cached my attention a bit, therefore I'd like to hear more opinions on Denon's AH-D5200.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Again... missing the 'Good' or 'O.K.' option.

My opinion on the AH-D5200:

my conclusion:

The AH-D5200 is an over-ear headphone with a luxurious look and feel to it. The sound is pleasant, warm and non-offensive.
This headphone is not a ‘dynamic’ sounding headphone but rather ‘laid-back’ and is lacking ‘brilliance/air’ but not in an offensive way. Bass is deep but a bit ‘slow’ and ‘woolly’.

This headphone is sensitive so can play loud, even from a phone. This headphone will have a similar tonal balance on every kind of gear regardless of the output resistance/damping factor.

Seal does not matter much so tonality does not change (much) when wearing glasses.

The cable is microphonic. Finding a different or balanced aftermarket cable that will fit (with 3.5mm TS plugs) will be an easy task.

Isolation is decent for a closed headphone. Most likely not enough in an airplane or subway to remove all background noises but more than sufficient in home situations where one does not want to be bothered by background noises or does not want to bother others while listening.

When looking for a ‘lush’ sounding headphone with a pleasant ‘character’ the AH-D5200 is a nice option. The build quality, feel and looks as well as the price matches the sound. Premium quality.

Kadent

I bought a set of them a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised with them. They are comfortable for long periods of time and are built well. I have a bit of eq to tame the treble and flatten the mids. They are just a bit spicy for my tastes. Id be happy to share my EQAPO file for them. Over 30 revisions to it in order to achieve the perfect tonal balance (in my opinion).

Kadent

Spicy? Interesting. According to the graphs I expected them to be mellow.
Yes. 5k sharp peak in certain songs cause a bit of ringing in your ears. However each one of our ears are different and unique. You made not notice a problem. I think there is still room for improvement in terms of eq. But I have not had the time to further measure and adjust additional revisions. Base data originated from Oratory1990 with further data by me. There is a bit of midrange bloat as well, which is not transcribed well by the graph due to scaling.

Attachments

• Denon AH-D5200p14.png
    Denon AH-D5200p14.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom