• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi channel DAC for DLBC

TankTop

Thinking of running full Dirac with DLBC to a multi channel DAC from PC. Want to run stereo with dual subs, the only DAC that looks like it would work is the Topping DM7 but it’s got a frequency response of 20hz -40khz. It won’t do any of the infrasonic bass and I’m going to have significant room gain, longest wall is 14’ and I’ll be running dual SVS SB3000’s. Am I worried about nothing or is there another option?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
but it’s got a frequency response of 20hz -40khz.
I do not believe that is true. It's frequency response is specified as "20Hz–40kHz, ±0.1dB" but it is unreasonable to believe that there is an absolute and sharp limit to those frequencies. Perhaps, FR extends to 5Hz but down by 0.3dB or so. Don't sell it short.

OP
T

TankTop

I do not believe that is true. It's frequency response is specified as "20Hz–40kHz, ±0.1dB" but it is unreasonable to believe that there is an absolute and sharp limit to those frequencies. Perhaps, FR extends to 5Hz but down by 0.3dB or so. Don't sell it short.

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to hear. Something that can easily be EQ’d

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks, that’s what I wanted to hear. Something that can easily be EQ’d
Sure. EQ'ing a sub-20Hz roll-off (or rise) of <1dB will make everything right. :facepalm:

jasoncd

is there another option?

I went through this question a while back. I'm not a fan of buttons for volume control.

There was the Topping, and the Okto DAC if I recall, but that one was perpetually sold out at the time.

The pro audio world looked like it has some products that would work. It was surprisingly difficult, for me at least, to figure out what would work though. I was looking for something that would connect to my PC, give me at least four channels of output and I wanted to be able to control all those channels with one physical volume control. I ended up with the Motu ultralite mk5. Focusrite Clarett also had some models that would work. I think the Lynx Hilo would work, but not 100% sure on that.

That's all I found, but there were models that looked like they could work, I just couldn't confirm it based on reading product manuals. Maybe this use case isn't something the audience of these products deals with.

Top Bottom