• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac desktop implementation

TankTop

Might be a silly question and I think I know the answer. If I get the desktop version of Dirac and a DX7 pro (just as an example) would using XLR’s for amp and RCA’s for dual subs work or do I need a multi channel DAC that I can load the filters onto?

In all honesty I’ll probably end up with a Denon X3800H because my ears along with background noise couldn’t tell the difference. My only reason for the PC route is I like to spend money and Dirac will continue to evolve, electronics companies will intentionally not make electronics that can be upgraded via new software licenses. The upgrade bug is real

neRok

Normal/cheap DAC's like the Topping DX7 send the same signal out of both the XLR and RCA ports, so you can't use DSP the way you want with such a device.

Even some entry level interfaces that have 4 outputs do the same thing (only have 1 stereo USB input that is copied to 2x stereo outputs). The cheapest option I could find when I was buying was a PreSonus Studio 68c that gave 4 individual outputs from 1 self-powered device (the 26c seems to have 4 outputs but is USB powered). I had hoped that its volume knob controlled both outputs, but it doesn't, which is annoying. If I knew that I probably would have just got 2x Topping D10's.

xrqp

Forum Donor
I think you need to explain more what you have/want, and what you are trying to do.

OP
T

TankTop

I think you need to explain more what you have/want, and what you are trying to do.
Funny, someone else just asked a similar question on another forum and I came here to revisit the question, great timing.

It was really a theoretical question…

I was assuming running Dirac PC to DAC to analog setup you would loose a lot of Dirac’s ability by not being able to separately control mains and subs. I was just thinking a nice analogue setup would be aesthetically pleasing and you could do all the processing and streaming from a PC/Mac.

RickyC34

"I was assuming running Dirac PC to DAC to analog setup you would loose a lot of Dirac’s ability by not being able to separately control mains and subs. "
As stated above, if you have a multichannel DAC this is not the case. Topping DM7, Motu M4, and Okto DAC8 pro are examples of multip-channel dacs. You can also accomplish this by running more than one dac at once. In my experience, this is easier on Mac than Pc. Example dac 1 for front L/R and dac 2 for subs. (assuming you are referring to Dirac + bass control )

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
"I was assuming running Dirac PC to DAC to analog setup you would loose a lot of Dirac’s ability by not being able to separately control mains and subs. "
As stated above, if you have a multichannel DAC this is not the case. Topping DM7, Motu M4, and Okto DAC8 pro are examples of multip-channel dacs. You can also accomplish this by running more than one dac at once. In my experience, this is easier on Mac than Pc. Example dac 1 for front L/R and dac 2 for subs. (assuming you are referring to Dirac + bass control )
Yep

Or the new MiniDSP HT or HTx ….

Top Bottom